Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2012, 9:41:40 PM PDT
Sweet jeebus, Amazon...

Can we:

1. forbid reviews of blu-ray discs before release;

2. separate formats in reviews?

Just thought I'd add one more futile request for these simple and obvious changes. Amazon already does it for music, books, and video games. Unfortunately by comparison, their product reviews for movies are rendered near-useless.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012, 6:41:20 AM PDT
Boom says:
Agreed! There are plenty of other sites where I can read reviews on the "content/storyline/performance".

Now that Amazon combines reviews between formats, they've lost the ability to provide me valuable reviews that clearly differentiate qualities and features of each release.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012, 4:27:34 PM PDT
Please. I'm sick of all the reviews on movies that haven't been released on disc yet. People are supposed to be reviewing the full package, not just the movie itself. We have IMDb for that.

For example, Avengers has 233 reviews, and it's got a month before the disc is out. Yes, the movie itself is awesome, and I'm confident the release will be great, but what if the transfer looks like crap, or audio channels are flipped? People need to take things like that into account.

Also, the reviews for Star Trek, the Next Generation Season One DVDs and Blu-Rays are all mixed together. The Blu-Rays are a massive improvement of the DVDs. The DVDs of TNG, DS9 and Voyager were all low quality transfers, even for other TV DVDs. The S01 Blu-Rays are a massive improvement.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012, 10:22:34 AM PDT
John says:
Yes, I've also complained to Amazon about having to scroll through hundreds of reviews to find one discussing the version for which I'm searching. The response never varies, as what Amazon calls "Customer Service" replies with the same tired info - obviously read from their allowed response list - that they are doing it this way to help us, the customers, so we can find ALL the reviews in one place.
The fact that no one EXCEPT Amazon likes this arrangement is, of course, completely ignored by Amazon and Mr. Bezos - it's much easier for Amazon to do it this way, and tough luck for the purchasing public.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012, 9:40:13 PM PDT
M. Judkins says:
Go down to the blue Feedback box at the bottom of each item and complain about the review linking. Complain often! Everyone I've ever seen comment about it universally hates review linking but Amazon persists in doing it for some reason. If they get enough feedback maybe someday they will become educated on why it is such a bad thing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:06:10 AM PST
Valhalla says:
Andrea has hit the nail on the head. When we see 233 reviews we think (or at least I do) that the people are talking about the movie that I am ordering. Instead, I find that I am reading responses / reviews of the movie that I am buying. That's a cheap shot on Amazon's part. If they are going to allow this type of pre-release review it should be marked as a review of the movie & not of the disc that is supposed to come out.

I someway depend on the reviews that I read about a movie. I feel kind of cheated when I find out that it is a review of the movie not the disc.

Posted on May 16, 2013, 8:18:45 AM PDT
I agree. I don't see why amazon can't just block reviews until after the disc is available. The reviews are always skewed and are basically worthless. I think people just want to get the first review up there so that they get the most reads and are on top of all subsequent reviews.
Most movies on amazon get generally positive reviews, even the worst movies usually get 3 stars. My small attempt to counter balance this is to leave a review only if it's going to be negative. Really, though, it doesn't make much sense to even bother with reviews on amazon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2012
Latest post:  May 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers