Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sigma 258306 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon DSLR Camera
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Style: Nikon SLR Camera|Configuration: US Version|Change

on December 28, 2013
I don't do a lot of macro but wanted a lens for beauty portraiture. This is hands down the best macro for general use photography for several reasons.

1: Autofocus speed is fast. Really fast. As long as you aren't focusing from the front to back of its range its AF will impress. It's also silent which is a nice bonus.
2. Doesn't extend. This is more a personal thing, but an extending lens can distract models and unbalances the camera.
3. Stabilization. This is less important to me because I usually shoot with strobes and have IBIS, but great if you do any shooting in low light. Huge benefit for non-tripod users.

I am also really impressed by the build quality and hood (which is adaptable for Full Frame or APS-C). I'm not much of a tech-nut so I haven't tested the sharpness extensively, but macro lenses are always sharp and this seems like it will be a perfect prime for all situations.

If you can get it on sale it's a no brainer, don't even bother looking at other primes in this focal length. At full price it's more expensive than other macros, but if you like the 105mm focal length it's absolutely worth the investment.
on April 23, 2012
I bought this lens after a detailed comparison with the Nikon 105mm. Tested both with similar conditions, same images, one after the other and found comparable results. The only difference I saw between them was the focus speed of Nikon is slightly better than the Sigma. My considerations were more around sharpness and image quality as a whole: sigma's results were the same as Nikon. So I went ahead and purchased this lens.

Definitely happy with the quality of the images, performance and overall built of the lens. Good work by Sigma in creating this wonderful lens.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2012
This lens does macro and more! That is what I love about it. Incredible detail at the macro level plus I can get really nice close up shots without having to get really close. Sigma rocks! I highly recommend it to anyone who shoots macro.
review image review image
on March 1, 2013
I chose this Macro lens because of previous ownership of the brand name, the quality, features, and unparalleled warranty. I was right again. This lens is everything as described and more. I selected 3 choices: Canon 100mm IS Macro, Tamron 90mm VC Macro, and this Sigma 105mm OS Macro. The lens is actually more beautiful than how it looks in the pictures, and the photos I've taken are beyond belief.

I also bought the filter `Zeikos ZE-UV62 62mm Multi-Coated UV' for it at a very good price (reviewed here too). I mainly use this kind of filters on all my lenses as a physical protection and to keep the dust away, it works like a charm.

Another Sigma lens I own and adore is the Giant-Super-Zoom `Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM' (also reviewed here). Some people say this lens is big and heavy, well, it's true, but it is satisfying and rewarding to use like no other lens.

Back to the `Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro', you love this lens the moment you put it in your camera. The ability to shot at 1:1 magnification is an especial event, the simplest little thing becomes immensely interesting after macro-photographed at 1:1, and this lens is wonderful at that. Regular photography and portraits are fantastic too thanks to the magnificent 2.8 wide aperture that allows really good photos in low-light environment. If you're looking for an all-round Macro (1:1 to be a real macro) don't look farther, this is it.

I recommend this lens better than a short one because you have more space for lighting, 12 inches instead of 8; better than a longer one because you can get a lot closer to the subject. The Image Stabilization (OS Optical Stabilizer) in this lens is fantastic, handheld photography is most of what I do. So feel confident to get this Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM 1:1 Macro, I did and I feel good. Thanks God, thanks Sigma, and thanks Amazon.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2012
This lens could never be considered to be poorly built. It is built like a tank! It's a very heavy piece of glass and gives excellent sharp photos with nice boke.
I would highly recommend this lens to anyone looking for a 1 to 1 macro / portrait lens.

Pros: Heavy well built, Sharp, Nice Boke, useable on both DX & FX cameras.

Cons: Autofocus HUNTS viciously in lower light, Heavy! a pain to carry around, Lens cap doesn't fit real well.

Overall I do have to say I love the lens and it's quickly become one of my most favorite despite it's cons.

I am using this lens with a Nikon D5100 body.
on August 27, 2014
Since I've been wanting to do more nature/outdoor photography, I decided that I could use a good macro lens that would work with my Canon Rebel T2i to take some nice shots of small insects, flowers, etc. After going through my options for macros, I went with this lens because of all the positive reviews. Here's my experience with it:

Focal Length:

This lens is of course a prime lens meaning that you can't zoom. But it is set at a great focal length to do some really nice macro shots without having to get too close to the subject. But that's with a crop sensor camera, so for you full frame users you'd need to get a bit closer.

Focus Distance:

Since it is a macro, you can focus really, really close to the subject. I'm almost shocked every time I use it with how close you can get with it. You can easily take amazing shots of things no larger than 1/8". And if you put extension tubes in the mix, I bet it would blow your socks off with how close you can get.

Auto Focus:

Being the lens uses an ultrasonic drive for auto focus, it is both quiet and fast. It also has a distance limiter switch on the lens so the auto focus won't hunt the entire range when you're doing macro only shots (this lens also does non-macro shots perfectly well). But, taking macro shots is one very tricky business with razor thin depth of field. So many times I use the full time manual focus over ride to correct the autofocus or just manually focus from scratch. There's nothing wrong with the auto-focus itself, just that its hard for the electronics to guess what little spot you want in focus compared to another little spot.

Optical Stabilizer:

Just like what I found with my Tamron 70-300mm VC, having any kind of stabilization system in the lens makes life so much easier. Despite the many challenges of macro photography, with the OS enabled, I was able to take a considerable number of good macro shots hand held. This despite low light issues and really odd ways of having to hold the camera for certain shots. My only complaint with Sigma's OS is that is quite noisy starting up. Not sure if its just my copy, but the lens makes a very noticeable sound for a fraction of a second when it starts the OS.

Sharpness, Colors, Contrast:

This thing is sharp, unbelievably sharp. Seriously, if you control for subject movement and limited depth of field, you can see every little hair on a plant stem even from a few feet away. And the colors and contrast are wonderfully depicted. It is my absolute favorite lens when it comes to picture quality. I even keep this lens on my Canon as default, despite it not being a zoom.

Distortions, Chromatic Aberrations, Vignetting:

I haven't seen a bit of distortion, aberration, or vignetting with this lens with all the shots I've taken with it.

Build Quality, Size:

Typical for this type of lens, it's built extremely well. Nothing is flimsy about this lens, including the hood. And the focus ring is very smooth moving. As for its size, the lens is bit smaller than my Tamron 70-300mm VC and otherwise balances well with my camera.

Overall:

This is truly a remarkable lens. I can't recommend it enough. And if you get it before the price goes back up, you'll have a great buy.
on June 10, 2013
I'm really really impressed with the overall performance of this lens.

It's got solid construction and a nice finish and aesthetics.

Pros:
- Awesome image quality
- Good build
- Value for money
- Good design, aesthetics and material

Cons:
- The AF speed tends to be a bit slower (compared to the equivalent Nikon lens). However, when you take in to consideration the price difference, you really can't complain. This is the only slightly negative aspect of the lens I could think of, after using it for nearly a year.

Definitely would recommend for anyone looking for a good macro lens, but looking to save a few hundred bucks.
review image
on January 16, 2015
This lens is amazing. I've read that people complain about not being able to get a good shot with this lens, but I think that may be more user error than anything else. I enjoy this lens and its ability to capture great macro shots of insects, my main focus.
review image review image review image
on November 3, 2012
the pictures are amazing n enjoying my macro photography with this lense, though the weight is more.. But the build quality and finishing is good
review image review image
on July 6, 2013
I read all the reviews on macro lenses. I wanted one that would allow me to take great pictures of bugs, etc. This lens didn't disappoint! It is rather heavy, but feels well made. I don't want to pay good money for a lens that feels like plastic. I use this lens on my Nikon D5100 and it auto focuses quickly and quietly. I just have to get used to not having to stand so close to get my pic as this lens allows me to stand back much farther from my subject and get a great close-up. Don't hesitate to get this lens!