Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ed Sheeran STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Signs and Symbols in Christian Art
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 5, 2014
Thanks. Great book, fast shipping
on February 6, 2005
If you are an art history student, this book is an absolute must. While there are many books that contradict one another when it comes to symbolism, this book is one that commonly agrees with others I have read or consulted.

For as inexpensive as this book is, you cannot afford NOT to get this book!
on January 21, 2013
This book does a good job of listing and describing the various signs and symbols, but the drawings of them are very simple and not always the best examples of the type. As a basic source it does the job, but if you want to see how they are actually used, you will need something else.
on March 19, 2015
I was so glad that this book was still in print. I bought it in the Metropolitan Museum of Art Gift Shop
when the Paperback was first published in 1961. I still have that book--it is so worn from all the use
it got from my many research projects, I decided to get another copy.
on November 5, 2013
ONLY BLACK And WHITE Illustrations.

I should have upgrade to a hard cover with color plates. Not engaging enough for casual read
on November 2, 2016
I engage in deep studies of the symbolic content of Renaissance paintings. When I seek to understand a painting, I often find myself opening this book. I have found helpful information many times. The fact that it is a fairly short and small book is not altogether a bad thing. It won't take me two hours to find out whether or not the book has the info I need. I know of no "bigger and better" version of this book. If you're interested in Christian art symbolism, this book is a must have.
on July 13, 2007
When I bought this book, I needed a quick and dirty reference to religious symbolism in western art--I was pleased and surprised to find out that it's small, lightweight, and therefore portable when I visit museums. (Why don't more publishers consider weight and size when they print books for travelers? Lonely Planet and DK, I'm looking at you.)

Its easy size belies the incredible amount of useful information it contains; there are fourteen sections covering everything from the significance of certain animals to religious garments to a brief hagiography for commonly portrayed saints. About one-third of the book is a set of reproductions (sadly b&w in this edition) of famous renaissance religious paintings. There's no discussion or explanation accompanying the paintings--which is the only thing I don't like about the book.

And if you read one of the earlier reviews and are wondering about the chocolate mouse in Rosemary's Baby, it's a reference to mice as a symbol of evil because of their destructiveness.
Useful guide for those interested in learning more about the meaning of the amazing range of signs and symbols used in Christian art.
on February 10, 2017
This isn't a big book but it is packed full of helpful hints that will let you know what those art critics are talking about.
on April 17, 2014
This is my "go to" book to recommend to anyone studying renaissance paintings. I sold a number of them when I worked in a museum store. I have an adult friend who has become a Catholic and this was my confirmation gift to her. It is excellent. Too bad the pictures or a few of them could not be in color.