Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sikkens RUBBOL SOLID DEK FINISH 1 GALLON
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

on June 2, 2012
We've been both selling and using this product for quite some time now. To clear up some confusion, this is an acrylic/oil hybrid, not an oil stain. The old Rubbol DEK was an oil solid stain. Rubbol Solid DEK is an acrylic solid stain.

Sikkens provides very detailed preparation and applications instructions for their products and they are there for a reason. The majority of the problems people have with this product and most other deck product are because no one wants to take the time to do the job correctly. If you think you can just slap a coat of paint on the deck and be done you are doomed to failure. The prep work is more important than the actual application.

A few things about stain like this in general.
1)Mildew.
a)Oil stains are more prone to mildew.
b)Sikkens did NOT discontinue the old oil product due to mildew issues. They did it for VOC regulations. All of these products have mildewcides in them.
c)If you constantly have mildew on your deck then the problem has to do with the environment, not the product. If the mildew comes right off of the stain then the product is doing it's job.
2)Prep
a)You must properly power wash with a product designed to kill any existing mold/mildew spores.
b)You must allow the surface to dry correctly prior to application of the stain.
c)It's always best to coat all six sides of the boards to prevent moisture from getting into the wood and causing peeling. If water gets into the wood it will push any film forming coating off the wood.
3)Other
a)Don't use film forming products if you don't have proper clearance from the ground for ventilation. Two or three feet of space for air to move is best.
on June 23, 2011
I've previously used Sikkens products on the brightwork on my boat and I've never really been enchanted with their stuff. Demonstrating an inability to learn from past mistakes I decided to try this new product on well over 3000 s.f. of NEW wooden deck. I chose the paint over stain because I wanted to try to match the house. I found the application to be a more cumbersome than expected and the coverage to be much worse. Nevertheless between myself, my teenage son and a couple of his buddies we got it done and it looked good ---- for about 6 months. We are now two years or so down the road from the initial application and the whole thing has been done over once with portions done over as much as three times. I have found the adhesion to be terrible and the wear characteristics even worse. Within 2-3 months after the application of 2 heavy coats the center areas of stairs are worn through to more or less bare wood. We are in the Pacific Northwest and this paint seems to facilitate mold growth more than anything else I've seen and clean-up is difficult. I am currently in the process of VERY laboriously trying to pressure wash all of it off. Oddly about 10% of it has decided to adhere really well. The rest pretty much falls off. This would be a lousy product at $20/gallon but at the $57 that I paid it is infuriating. Never again will I use anything made by Sikkens. This gets one star only because there is no zero star rating.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
Unlike the other posters i LOVE this product. i am in central Florida and have used this product on both (2) new decks and 3 badly abused decks. In one case, I used this on a very badly abused deck hoping for another year of life before necessary replacement and itwas brought back to really good shape and that was 3 years ago. I expect to get 5 more years out of it at this rate.

Granted the product is more difficult to apply, it is very thick and will not go nearly as far as you'd hope. it must be applied with a brush, rollers or sprayers wont work, and there has to be good air clearance below the deck.

The sun and heat down here are brutal really destroy wood decks (very tough on composites too). 4-5 years is normally what you can expect before severe splitting, checking and splintering. The Rubbol will extent life by a factor of 3 with care. I wash my decks 2ce annually with warm water, liquid cleanser, a little bleach and a mop followed by a hose rinse off and have had NO probs with wear, adherence or mold. I stopped used a pressure washer years ago - even before I discovered Rubbol - because I found it far too damaging to the wood after repeated use even with a light tip.

I would highly recommend this product as well as the SRD for non-opaque protection of other wooden structures, decks pergolas etc. I wont use anything else anymore.
on September 27, 2013
This is the fourth time we have sealed and or stained our pressure treated wood deck(16 by 20 feet). I chose the chestnut brown to cover prior colors and hoping I would see where it did not cover as well too. First the deck was pressure washed. Then I used a random orbital sander to remove as much of the old finishes on the deck floor and horizontal surfaces, I also used 60 or 80 grit sanding sponges to sand the spindles and tight areas I couldn't use the sander. The last stain we applied before this one was an oil based stain, it was sloppy to put on but did last the longest- about 2.5 years.

We knew we needed to use oil based again and after researching this product we decided to try it because of it's
hybrid technology. The product handles like a thicker version of paint but doesn't spatter! I have used a deck pad and super small foam roller for the spindles and hand rails. I definitely need to do a 2nd coat on the horizontal surfaces they were in tough shape but so far the overall appearance is the deck looks like a Trex deck now. The color is solid and looks more like a painted surface. If it lasts at least 2 years I will continue to use only this product in the future. The color is a deep reddish brown and looks great against our beige vinyl siding. I plan to leave additional comments after this winter in the North East. Protecting the wood thru the winter is important to us. The only reason I gave 4 stars is I want to see if it endures the weather for the next 6 months.
9/15- I'm doing the floor and top of deck railings before this winter. I will be washing the deck and sanding a few boards in which the initial coat has flaked off. The overall appearance of the deck stain is still acceptable. I'm trying to protect the flat surfaces before winter. STILL will use this stain forever
on May 31, 2012
I LOVE this product! Rubbol Dek has saved my deck.
I have an old, full sun very very weathered, previously painted dek in green. The deck is otherwise stable and the wood is just fine.
The only product that adhered, at all was Sikkens. The trick is you have to be sure the moisture level is measured and the air is dry. It glided on over the Behr deck- that lasted two months and it stuck on! I do repaint about every 3rd summer, just the floor and am always sure it is very, very dry and has no moisture before applying. Nothing lasts forever but it beat out 3 other products from the big bog stores. I consulted several full time painters before using it and for and old and weathered deck, it rocks! Sorry that it doesn't work for everyone.
on July 21, 2013
I recently sanded and stripped my redwood fence and gate for repainting. I did my research and found Sikkens RUBBOL SOLID DEK stain to be highly recommended by previous users and paint retailers. I have used many paints and stains before and nothing comes close to this product. It goes on smooth and easy, great flow with even coating. One coat and it was nothing short of perfection. It comes in a wide variety of colors, but be advised every can is custom mixed so be sure it's the color you want as you cannot return it. The fence looks better than the day it was new. However, keep in mind the preparation is as important as the paint itself, so be sure you prep your project correctly. I promise you won't be disappointed with this product and will enjoy it for many years to come. Considering how good this product is, I'd pay twice what I paid for it if I had too. I can't say enough great things about Sikkens RUBBOL SOLID DEK stain. I highly recommend this product.