Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 187 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 338 reviews
on June 23, 2014
6624391The Silent Governess was only silent for a time. A young woman strikes the man strangling her mother with a fire iron. Fearing she had killed him the mother sent her away and told her not to return, that she would find her daughter when it was safe. While fleeing she encountered some very 'shady' men plus a group of gentlemen hunting. Neither were happy with her. Later she encountered uplifting people along with the negative sort. She was imprisoned, injured and was hired as a servant. All she wanted to do was to teach school.

The flow of the events and attitudes were consistent and smooth. The reader never felt the need to skip pages. It was a large novel but very well written and connected prior events to the present-tense in a smooth flow. Parents can feel free to allow their YA to read this tale. There is not anything contained within to corrupt one's mind.

The characters and situations were well formulated giving the reader a sense of actuality. One could easily envision himself/herself there.

My review of this book give it a strong Five Stars rating.

*I won this in a Goodread's giveaway but would have eagerly purchased it. My thanks goes out to those who so generously offer these books for others to have the opportunity to win.
on July 20, 2017
With going into a description of the plot, I will give you what this reader felt were the pros and cons. In the plus column the book is a clean read that you could leave lying around for anyone in the family to pick up. It has an honorable heroine and a little twist in the plot involving the love interest. The writer does a workmanlike job of descriptions and scene setting which allows the reader to easily visualize the story as it moves along. In the minus column, the beginning of the book runs the poor heroine through so many unlikely dangers just to get her into the life of the hero that all credibility is lost. It reads like the Perils of Pauline. About one-third of the way through I found myself falling for the urge to skip to the last chapter to find out how it ended. I do that occasionally and then return later to read the rest of the story. This time I have not had any desire to finish the book. I read one previous book by Julie Klassen and although it had a dubious conclusion it kept my attention through to the last page. Not so with The Silent Governess.
on April 18, 2014
Regency Romances are mostly predictable in plot but in spite of that, I really enjoyed reading The Silent Governess. A bonus were the quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the story-line of the life of a governess. It was fascinating to see life from the other side, as it were, and something I had not given much though to.

There are some criticisms as it it being long winded and giving a 'nod' at Christianity. Although I loved the story, I did find myself losing interest around 3/4 of the way through. So I would agree that it did seem to go on longer than comfortable. As to the 'nod' at Christianity, again I would have to agree. Whilst the passages about the gospel or anywhere faith is mentioned were really good in themselves, it always seemed to be a bit of a surprise when I came upon them and didn't seem an integral part of the plot, which is a shame. I agree with the reader who thought they had been put in after the story was written.

If you enjoy reading regency era books and learning about life in those times, you will enjoy this book.
on April 27, 2015
LOVED EVERY PAGE OF IT! I have read only one other of Julie Klassen's books and based on it I picked up THE SILENT GOVERNESS and fell in love with it as well.

The author transports us back to the age of old English times with characters that you can love or hate. Earls, house maids nurses , under nurses and yes governesses. The book combines romance with a dash of intrigue and mystery and an ending that keeps you wanting more and more.

I highly recommend this book if you are the reader who loves a little bit of mystery with their romance.
on September 20, 2017
Many reviews give a basic synopsis of the book, so I'll just tell you what my general impressions were:
I really liked this book. I am a fan of historical fiction, and I have a soft spot for a romantic story line. This novel satisfied in both areas. Admittedly, the plot is driven by some very convenient coincidences - I mean, just for one example, what if Olivia had fled from home in the opposite direction from the one she chose in the story? Also, the initial reasoning for her being held at Brightwell Manor was a bit flimsy, in my opinion. However, these things aside, I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I thought there was a good amount of growth in the both Olivia and Edward as the story unfolded. Also, the author did a wonderful job setting the scenes and giving insider glimpses into the inner workings of a large English estate of its time. The quotations at the beginning of each chapter about the service profession were interesting and helped set a tone for the attitudes of this era. My only major complaint would be that there is not much time given to Olivia's mother. Her backstory is what ties all the various characters' lives together, but we hardly experience her directly in the main narrative. I would have liked to know at least a little bit of what she thought about everything that was happening in her daughter's life. Still, I would say that, overall, this was an enjoyable read, and I'm glad that I picked it up.
on June 23, 2013
Olivia is a strong, kind, and very smart character that had me sad when she was sad and happy when she was happy. Her ability to get through the tough time she was having and her determination to keep on going and eventually sort every problem she had at the beginning had me cheering for her the entire time! She's a quick-witted girl in this fast paced old Victorian styled book!

I immensely enjoyed this historical fiction about Olivia and her overcoming an attack on her, loosing her voice, keeping an huge secret, and becoming a governess. What can I say? The romance is told in such a realistic pace with such realistic events that this book had me going "I wish I was there witnessing this happen!" when it never really did at all. I'm defiantly looking more into Klassen's novels since this book has entered my top ten 'to re-read endlessly' books!

I recommend you buy this book if you love historical fiction, strong female leads, and a breath-taking yet subtle and realistic-paced romance that will leave you wishing you were the lead girl! Still skeptical? Get it from the local library, which is where I found this book. If your taste in books are anything like mine you'll go running to amazon right after you finish reading it and but it ASAP!
on December 27, 2011
What I Loved

This story literally dropped me in the middle of a chase scene that I couldn't get enough of. From the expertly-done prologue (the perfect example of a prologue that enhances the story) to the mysterious plot that kept me turning pages, The Silent Governess does not disappoint.

Julie Klassen's writing style fascinates me. She has honed a delectable blend of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte to bring this English era to life in a way that will captivate lovers of historicals and reel in those who love adventure.

The dazzling descriptions and the subtle way Olivia and Edward fall in love is totally swoon-worthy and made me wish the story (already a good 400 pages long) could continue.

The ending is so unexpected. The breathtaking mystery that had me anxious about how it would all turn out was wrapped up so beautifully that I literally sat back and thought, "I did NOT see that coming!" It's so nice when an author defies the cliche and brings about a resolution that I couldn't foresee.

What I Didn't Like As Much

I honestly can't think of a single thing to write about that I didn't like in The Silent Governess. It is the first I read by Julie Klassen and by far my favorite of her works.
on June 20, 2015
Not bad. Fun vacation read. It was a little too over-wrought in some places. I like characters that are happy. These struggled, but made good decisions. I agree that you should trust God that things will work out, but you have to work a little to help it, I believe. It wrapped everything in a bow in the end, but it was a little unsatisfying. I think it was because the dad who was so vilified through the book was suddenly proved innocent, but it was unexplained as to why things were bad before. I didn't understand if the parents' marriage was good or bad. A book that's not Klassen's best, but not bad.
on December 7, 2015
Very well written "historical romance", set in mid-19th century Britain, and won several awards in its genre. I enjoyed that it had subtle religious references concerning the Governess' faith, and the references were very much keeping with her personality, and what one would expect from a young lady during her time. Loved all the "secrets" woven throughout the novel.... if you love Jane Austin, you will probably really enjoy this!
on July 9, 2015
Julie Klassen is an amazing author. This is the second book I have read of hers, the first being The Apothecary's Daughter (another fabulous book). I truly enjoyed reading the story. The characters were all so wonderfully developed, the mystery of the plot so suspenseful. I can't wait to read another of her books. I know I won't be disappointed.