Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 531 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 565 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 23, 2016
It works kind of...
This 2013 model HDHR3-US HDHomeRun was designed for streaming to computers.
The modern software does not work with this device, even after a firmware update from [...].
I found on the manufactures web page "Earlier devices do not support DLNA/UPnP and will not be accessible."
[...] under "HDHomeRun not found" heading.)

The Linux HDHomeRun software works ok for streaming to my PC, but
I wanted to stream this device to my Kodi so I could pause or record live TV.

The Kodi app will not run with this model. The Android add would cost .99 do download and I did not want to pay for it if it does not work, so I had to find another way.

I spent about 2 weeks researching how to get it to work. I installed MythTV on my Raspberry PI 2 and configured it to the HDHomeRun HDHR3-US. Then I installed the MythTV PVR Addon for Kodi.

I can now pause and record live TV using this HDHR3-US HDHomeRun.
I like this setup so far. It runs great. Even after many days of use and powered on, this device
does not get hot.
on June 17, 2015
What I expected was this cool full featured tuner that interfaced with my other services, etc!

Well, Nope, that's not this and a huge pain to install under XXP, never worked properly under that OS.

It is essentially a full featured TV tuner. If you buy it I suggest:

1. Get a good antenna and set it on the first floor
2. Attach this baby to the router if you have a home network. I was hooking it to the TV and to the router and that worked, but poorly.
3. Buy the older model used and save money and don't believe it will work under XP. It didn't for me.

If you want a Windows Media Player tv tuner and controller and the ability to broadcast that to your phone and tablet, this is the right one. If you want more features buy the more expensive models and prepare for sticker shock or skip it. Impossible to get solid under XP, upgraded to Windows 7 to make it work. Never tried a Mac OSX machine, but after hours trying to make it work and being pretty tech I was scared of starting over on a Mac.
on January 3, 2014
I finally took the plunge and cut the cord with my cable TV company. I now use a combination of Internet access, over-the-air TV antenna, NetFlix, RedBox, and my own media library (CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray) for entertainment. I built a Home Media Center PC and connected the HDHomeRun DUAL to my Ethernet network. I use Windows Media Center to play and schedule recording of the over-the-air TV programs from the HDHomeRun TV tuners. My new setup works much better than the rented DVR box provided by the cable company. In the past 5 months I have saved enough to pay for my new PC and the additional equipment (TV antenna, HDHomeRun, etc.). Now the savings are just gravy and I "own" an awesome media PC (no more renting inferior electronics). The HDHomeRun provides 2 stations that I can watch from any PC on my network (no special video or TV tuner card required just Ethernet). The HDHomeRun and over-the-air TV antenna reduces my Internet usage since I'm not streaming video from the broadcaster's web site. I'm considering buying another HDHomeRun so I can view/record up to 4 over-the-air channels simultaneously. I recommend buying the HDHomeRun to anyone looking for an alternative to the greedy cable companies.
on October 31, 2011
The title says it all. There are very few other electronic products (apart from iPod/ iPad) that have been so easy to set up and be functional, while solving a complex problem. I've been looking for an Over-the-air DVR for a while, but the available options were pricey or with monthly subscription (Tivo). I don't like paying for cable TV and my only monthly entertainment bill is Netflix streaming (plus cable internet).

HDHomerun was a great solution to record the shows I wanted with the laptop wirelessly. The plus point over the DVR is that you have the recorded shows to watch, wherever you go. I could even use two computers to watch or record, because of the two tuners. The channel and guide set up was a breeze with Windows Media Center. The recording quality was excellent and in HD.

Some caveats - you need to get a splitter to split the antenna signal to HDHomerun and the TV. You also need to turn off your firewall on the laptop to access the channels. HDHomeRun needs to be connected by LAN cable to the network/ router, but the laptops can be wireless (on the same network). You'll also need to get some media converter software (I used the free MC-TVConverter) to convert the windows media (.wtv) format to play on an iPad (mp4) or back to your TV wirelessly using DLNA/ Samsung Allshare (e.g., mpeg format). Also, (obviously) you need to remember to leave your computer on for recording (sleep is OK). Not a problem with desktop, but an issue with laptop, especially if you are not home/ travel. I solved this with a second laptop, but requires some constant pre-planning, unlike the DVR option of setting and forgetting completely.
on November 1, 2013
The HDHomeRun was mostly plug and play on the hardware side. The drivers were also very easy to install and get running on windows 8.1 x64 (It directs you to the website to download the drivers, however they make it painless). If you want to setup your antenna you can use the HDHomeRun GUI and tune to a local station to receive the signal quality information while you adjust the antenna. If you have a home Wifi you can use the Android app on your phone to check the reported levels as you move the antenna Which helps ALLOT!

ProTip: This box provides a raw data stream. On HD channels the bit rate can be as low as 1.9M/s to 19Mb/s. Use with caution on WIfi connections. 802.11b (Don't use it), 802.11g (Should be ok with One steam), 802.11n (You and others should be ok), however on any Wifi connection EXPECT interruptions. I Strongly suggest to use ethernet connection of 100Mb or better for better reliability and less network bottlenecks and less stuttering.

-- Below is more to do with the NextPVR software then the HDHomeRun Hardware ---
To run this to more than one PC and provide PVR (Personal Video Recorder) functionality you need additional software. But luckily you can get that for free using some open source software. I use NextPVR on my windows 8 machine so it can handle all the recordings and channel listings. For the rest of the computers in the house I use the latest version of XBMC with the NextPVR addon. These are easy to setup and easy to use. The only difficulty was the channel listings. Only one of my local stations Broadcasted any channel listings (WTVR, CBS, gotta give a shout out for them doing the right thing), All the others did not broadcast any channel listings. To fix this there are two options.
1) Use Schedule Direct. They are a non profit that provides TV Listings to open source software. They welcome a $25 donation for a year of service and provide a free trial period to make sure you like the service first.
2) Use a XMLTV compatible software. This downloads the channels from a server and stores it in a file for NextPVR to read. EACH channel needs to be pointed to the XMLTV file and select witch listing to use in that file. This is a not too difficult but is a tedious task.
I used Option 2 for the channels that did not broadcast a EPG (Electronic Programming Guide). I used mc2xml and followed the instructions on the NextPVR website.

After the setup was done I am now satisfied with this product and recommend it to anybody wanting to cut the cord with the cable company.
on December 29, 2013
I got this unit to replace an old HDHR2 because I was having some signal reception issues with my OTA HDTV setup resulting in un-watchable recordings from the HDHR2 using Windows Media Center. Because this unit has one coax input instead of two on the old unit, I was able to simplify my OTA HDTV setup and now use a two-way splitter (vice a 4-way splitter on my old setup) and therefore get more signal going into the HDHR3 for better recordings without pixelation due to poor signal strength and/or signal loss from multi-splitters. I also made a number of other changes to my setup to ensure good signal to the HDHR3 so it is hard to say exactly which has improved the recordings. This unit is also much smaller and modern looking than the old one and it is black like the rest of my equipment so it does not stand out like the old unit did. Otherwise, it seems to work as well as the old unit (and for less than I paid for the old unit), but I am still happy with it.
on July 27, 2012
My old DTV box was fine but its USB link to my Mac meant I couldn't put the box where my attic antenna cable comes into the house. Problem solved with this SiliconDust unit. I put it at the antenna cable, ran a CAT5e cable to it from the router (the TV box runs at up to 100 Mb/s), and can watch it from anywhere in the house.

I initially made the mistake of simply plugging it into the cables described above and expecting it to work with EyeTV (on the Mac) or Windows Media Center (WMC) immediately. Note to self: read the instructions, which say to run the initialization software first. I ran it from the SiliconDust website to get the latest version. That apparently preps the box for use. OK, we're back on track now, and Windows Media Center finds it easily.

In EyeTV I simply changed the source device from my old box to HDHomeRun, but that didn't do the trick. I had to run the Mac version of the initialization software from the SiliconDust site and then the EyeTV Setup Assistant (in the File menu) to select the HomeRun box. Then, all was well. In fact, EyeTV will watch both tuners at once (File: Open Next Live TV Window).

WMC on my Win7 Toshiba runs fine. I like EyeTV on the Mac, but a free option is to use the HomeRun Config Utility, which then drives VLC. It's a little clunky compared to EyeTV, but it's free.

So, do you need the computer on a wired connection as opposed to WiFi? As I type this on my Mac I'm watching error-free HD on the Win7 machine on WiFi, driven from an Apple Airport Extreme router from 40 feet away through 3 walls. OTOH, the other day the video was flaky doing this. A wired computer connection is the preferred choice, IMO.

Having two tuners is fun, depending on your viewing / recording needs and wants. How about reception? Of my 36 channels and subchannels (programs) they all have "scores" of 100% for Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality except for two channels, one of which is a low-power channel. That said, I am literally line-of-sight to most of the towers -- I can see them from my driveway, about 7 miles away. So, who knows, but it's working for me.

Picture quality is pristine, and I don't see any artifacts. Data rate to the computer matches what I expect knowing what the stations are transmitting. For the tech-minded, that means that I'm seeing up to 17 Mb/s of data at the computer for a TV station with one subchannel.

Would I buy it again? Yup. Very pleased.
on April 30, 2013
I have used this to watch tv on my mac and laptop as we don't have a tv in the house. I have a Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna (Made in USA) that connects to the Silicon Dust that feeds to our computers by connecting through our network.

The Good:
It works really well for watching live over the air tv and mostly well for recorded tv.

The Bad:
This would be perfect if it did not have the habit of occasionally skipping a bit of the audio during processing recorded shows. This is a minor glitch but still a bit annoying. It would also be awesome if SiliconDust made a wifi version of this product.

Conclusion:
It is worth the money and will help those that want to cut the cords, save space, and stream tv via their computers. Also works great on my macs running 10.5 to 10.8.
on October 29, 2013
I currently have an older Tivo box that won't do HD and is limited to 80 hrs of recording. I bought this with the intention of using MythTV but wound up with windows media center instead (simpler install). It took some work to get the channels set up right in windows 8, mainly because Charter wouldn't give me a list of what channels I should expect to use so I had to manually set up a lot of them. First I had to set scan them in the Homerun config program, then go to WMC and set up the ones that weren't there so the guide would work correctly. So far so good and I'm currently using my computer (in the office) to record shows and stream them on the xbox in the living room. The nice part is the HomeRun is in my basement where the router and cable modem are. Also nice because I can use my wife's computer to watch TV now if we're outside on the back deck (HD tv).

I attempted to hook this up to an antenna to see what was over the air but I'm in a bad location and nothing comes in. Works good with the cable hookup though so far. I did have things freeze up on me a couple of times, not sure if it was issues with my network (older router) or more likely issues with charter. Streams HD with no lag over my network.

The SiliconDust support site is pretty good and has a lot of FAQ's that can be helpful during setup. I gave this 4 out of 5 stars because the setup was such a pain.
on December 12, 2013
I wanted to use it with my old but fairly powerful XP machine. Someone wrote in the Q&A section that it works with XP. It actually did, but the aspect ratio was wrong for all the channels I tried, and there was no way to adjust it. The only way to watch it on XP seems to be to use the QuickTV app, which leaves a lot to be desired (it may or may not work, no error messages, no settings). I wrote to tech support asking for more information and for help with this problem and they said it was caused by 3-rd party codecs. I never had any issues like this with other video sources, but OK. They told me to remove one codec, then another, than another, and this kept messing with my system; I asked them at least twice what codec would actually work but couldn't get a straight answer out of them. I have a strong impression that they don't really know what they are talking about. The tuner itself is OK, although it doesn't have the greatest sensitivity. Dealing with support was pretty frustrating and a huge waste of time.

UPDATE: I got it to work by updating the settings of the DirectVobSub codec from "load automatically when needed" to "never load". Giving it three stars for bad tech support and all the I wasted on dealing with them.