Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon January 25, 2011
This was recommended to me by a fellow teacher. I've always loved Cynthia Rylant's powerful work that makes me homesick for an Appalachian life my western US self has never known, and that same spirit comes to life in this Christmas gem.

Based on the train that delivers packages each November, this tells the story of a boy whose holiday magic depends on the gifts thrown from the train. Year after year, he never receives the Christmas present he dreams of. His disappoint results in a strong message that makes this book so memorable.

The book imagines a back story to the train of a generous rich gentleman trying to pay back a town's kindness, and this same mood permeates the story. Perhaps not historically accurate, but certainly appreciated and appealing to the imagination.

The illustrations are vivid and details and full of expression.

This is one that is hard to read with a dry eye.
5 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2016
I read this to a group of 2nd graders and as I was reading I fell in love with the book. I'm a avid hiker in the Smoky Mountains and I didn't realize what I was reading (the teacher just handed me a book to read to the class). I immediately ordered the book for my own children when I finished with the class.
on November 11, 2017
This book is just the sweetest! We got it at the library last year and I cried every time I read it to my son. I decided we had to own it! Such a great Christmas message!
2 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2016
This is a wonderfully warm and positive book about a needy little boy who receives a practical gift every Christmas which alleviates his present discomfort but does not fulfill his greatly-desired secret wish-gift...and how, in later life, he remembers and uses his now- realized gift to continue the generosity and "pay back" with love. It brought tears to the eyes of my Adult Sunday School class. It is even more powerful to realize it is a true story. My grandkids love it also.
on November 3, 2016
Makes me cry, wonderful story about giving back
on February 17, 2017
Fanfastic story with beautiful photos.
on January 3, 2015
Sweet, sentimental story about Christmas, gifts--receiving & giving, and about the deeper meaning of the holiday. Very enjoyable.
on January 5, 2015
This is such a lovely Christmas story. This book was recommended to me by a school teacher who read this book every year to her students.
Now I will have this treasure. Great book I recommend if you haven't read this yet it is worth reading.
2 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2015
Wow - what a great book. After reading this book, our class talked about careers, first aid, and "wants' vs "needs." Make sure to check out the Santa Train that makes a similar charity journey through the Appalachian area around Thanksgiving. It's a nice rabbit trail to the story in the Silver Packages book. Our class read Silver Packages, then I told them about the Santa Train and showed them a video about it online. The kids collected money and we purchased gifts and warm mittens and socks in children's sizes and sent them to the Santa Train headquarters to be distributed. It was so rewarding and fun to be a part of touching the lives of those in need.
on January 5, 2015
This book was well-received by all three children I sent it too. I might have to buy a copy for myself!