|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $12.00 (75%)
The Silver Portal (Weapons of Power Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 379 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
|Age Level: 12 - 18|
- Similar books to The Silver Portal (Weapons of Power Book 1)
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
David J. Normoyle's book The Silver Portal, the first book in a planned series, introduces us to the five protagonists: street urchin Twig; would-be-adventurer Lukin; noble Suma; Mortlebee, outcast from his religious community, and rebellious Simeon. Each character stands as individuals; each has their own difficulties with their unexpected weapons. Struggles with trust, ethics, personal convictions and the expectations of upbringing are central to each character's growth and development through the story, but not in a heavy-handed or preachy way. Instead, these dilemmas are an integral part of the story, handled for the most part deftly and naturally.
The writing is competent and fluid, and at the right level of difficulty for the young-adult target audience. Readers are introduced to the history, politics and magic of the world in a gradual manner, often learning along with the characters. Although in a couple of places I found myself wishing for a deeper understanding of the history, enough is given to flesh out the story and the motivations of characters.
I found the plot a bit rushed towards the end, given the fairly slow development of during most of the book. But as part of a series, the pacing may be less uneven when the book is read as an introduction to the world and the characters rather than a stand-alone story. Overall, 4 stars, for a worthy addition to young-adult fantasy.
I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
So this book follows the five chosen warriors.. why they were chosen we don’t truly know.. was it a mistake or is there more to these five than we might think.
Where this book really ticked the boxes for me was with the writing itself. Too many times I see a plot dumbed down too much.. This one didn’t feel like that. While the plot isn’t too complex it was nice to see it just didn’t follow a straight line.. it jumped from one person’s perspective to another and they each have their own tale rather than just one collective group tale.
The five main characters themselves are pretty interesting with their own individuality and backstory. I really enjoyed the supporting cast too.. the idea of some people possessing magic and others not, the possible conflict this could force is an idea I really like.
I have to admit I didn’t really make too many note on this one, I was too busy enjoying the tale which is fast paced at times but very enjoyable
David J. Normoyle has left a lot of space for this team to grow and I’d be interested to see how this series plays out
Honest opinion, this book is perfectly written for the young adult. Each of the characters is young and you can see they have some growing up to do and if the series does well its readers will grow up with them
There’s a little violence, nothing too bad or graphic but it will be interesting to see how this changes if the five get the chance to use their weapons of power more.
Good plot, Good characters and plenty of space for the series to grow means it hits the right spot with me
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy & Magic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic > Paranormal, Occult & Supernatural
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban