Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on February 6, 2012
This has got to be one of the best 5.25 to 3.5" converters. Moreover, it allows for the installation of one 3.5 inch bay device like a card reader. Alternatively it can house two 2.5" devices like HDD's or SSD's. It has super heavy duty construction that is also very refined. In addition, the mounting holes are precision drilled making for easier alignment of your device.

However, one should be aware of a couple of things: 1) The front of the FP55B is "Highly Brushed" black anodized aluminum- it's not subtle- that may not look good with some cases; 2) AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PHOTOS this 5.25 to 3.5 adapter is designed so that the 3.5" device that is mounted in it does NOT sit flush with the front of the adapter; rather it sits somewhat recessed in the Silverstone FP55B with a beveled edge around the 3.5" opening. Moreover, if you're thinking of just sliding the device a little more forward so it's flush , you can't unless you drill out the screw holes in the adapter & make them wider so it gives you more play.

If you are looking for a more subtle brushed look and a converter where the 3.5" device will sit perfectly flush with the front you might want to consider the: Lian Li 5.25in to 3.5in Bay Converting Kit - Black.

I have two Raidmax 3mm aluminum "Iceberg" cases one with the Silverstone and one with the Lian Li 5.25 to 3.5" converter; Both look great, so it's just a matter of taste
review image
55 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2015
Bought thhis to go with th Silverstone Tek GD05B HTPC case so that I could use the Antec VERIS IR system that fits into a 3.5" opening to remotely control the system.The case has a 5.25 external bay opening.

I thought that paying the absurd price for this adapter that I was actually getting a quality product that is not only of sturdy construction, but that would fit their other line of products in size and appearance. What I received was sturdy, however it was a fraction of a millimeter too big and while I could get it to fit by forcing it in there, I also didn't like it's appearance. The grain of the aluminum on this is going the wrong way...vertical instead of horizontal, so it looked off. Not only that, I could not get the VERIS to line up the holes to mount it as there is only a few options for mounting holes in this. I ended up throwing this in the closet and got a $3 black Bytecc 5.25 to 3.5 converter that not only fits better both physically and aesthetically, but had a plethora of mounting holes which allowed me to mount the VERIS with ease.

I love Silverstone's HTPC line of cases, but this is a complete miss.
on June 7, 2016
Needed to install a 3.5 inch fan controller into a case that doesn't have any external 3.5 bays. Picked this one up due to being all metal. Does a pretty good job of protecting the plastic fan controller and holds in place in the case pretty well. Really impressed with the build quality.

Trying to install the fan controller was quite difficult. I had to sort of blindly stick a screwdriver with the screw on the end through the outermost shell of the case to screw in the fan controller. The screw kept falling off and was a little frustrating. If I had a magnetic screw driver this would have been a lot easier. However, now that the fan controller is installed and the bracket installed into the case I have no complaints.
on August 12, 2013
I purchased this to use with the Rosewill 74-In-1 3.5-Inch Internal Card Reader with USB Port 3.0 (RDCR-11003) that I purchased. My case is a Corsair Obsidian Series Black 800D Full Tower Computer Case (CC800DW) and one of the things I love most about it is the brushed aluminum front faceplate. I thought this front panel would match that look.

Pros:
- Solid, quality build... very sturdy
- The brushed aluminum front perfectly matches my case

Cons:
- Easy to install if you have a third arm with 11 ultra-slim and long fingers per hand.

Seriously... if you don't have a magnetic screwdriver, go get one. Otherwise, you'll bang your head in frustration as you pray the screws will somehow fall into the correct holes and balance themselves just long enough to automagically tighten themselves.

Still... five stars. Great, great quality and I'd buy it again.
on March 29, 2013
This is not a cheap converter but it is really nicely made. I spent a lot of money on my case, and all the holes line up perfectly. The front bezel is actually screwed on to the housing from the side, so that once you mount your peripheral, you can loosen the side screw and align the bezel so that it fits squarely around the peripheral which in this case, was an expensive but awesome USB 3.0 card reader.

When you look around at prices for these bay converters, they are all over the place. In my experience, this is one item where you will get what you pay for. As expensive as this one was, I am glad I spent the extra money as it goes very well with both the case and card reader. I am not sure it is worth quite as much as Amazon charged for it, but by the time I figured I was getting it with Prime, I was able to justify it. I've not seen what a retail store would charge for it, but I am sure it is likely north of twenty dollars. I splurged...
on November 7, 2012
I read the other reviews for this item when I was looking for something to hold my 3.5 inch card reader. I wasnt too fond of the plastic ones and I wanted something really sturdy as I build my machines to last. The other reviews talked about how hard it was to get the fasteners in and it really wasnt. It took the same amount of strength as anything else but I am also a mechanic so maybe all of the years of turning wrenches made something so difficult for most easy for me so I asked my gf to do the other side and she did it with ease... not to mention she is a girly girl so either the item I got was different or built better than the rest, my gf is hulk in petit form, or lastly the other guys cross threaded and forced the screws in....
All in all I would highly recommend but take your time and dont rush it or you might need an impact gun to zap those tiny screws into place!
on July 28, 2015
Like most people lately, I got this because I wanted to add a USB 3.0 hub to my front panel. For whatever reasons, the manufacturers of these hubs don't see fit to include an adapter like this or sell them as a package deal. I didn't want to futz around with the cheap plastic ones out there, so I paid more and wasn't disappointed. This fits perfectly, all the screw holes line up right, it has clear instructions on which screws to use depending on the type of 3.5" device you're mounting.
on December 16, 2015
This is just what I needed to adapt an Anker USB 3.0 3.5 inch Front Panel device to a 5.25 inch slot. SilverStone is known for quality and they didn't disappoint. The adapter is all aluminum, no plastic, and fit perfectly. All the holes lined up perfectly to secure the USB unit and to secure it to my CM HAF 922 case. If you need a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter this is the way to go. It costs more than the plastic ones but it's definitely worth it.
on November 19, 2012
This adapter does what it needs to do. I have a Silverstone FT02 case so I chose this model because it looked like it would be a good match. It is, both visually and mechanically. The brushed metal appearance matches and it also supports the toolless lock mechanism of the FT02 case.

The only thing I dislike about it (and I have no idea if this problem is universall to all these kinds of bay adapters), is that installation was somewhat tricky. You need to install screws through wide holes through an empty space into adjacent screw holes. The 3.5" device itself has no tabs or anything to help hold it in place, so while you are trying to position the screws, the device itself slides around making things difficult. I have three tips to make this easier:

1) A piece of painters tape across the front will help keep the 3.5" device at the correct depth so it isn't consantly falling out of the face plate.

2) Fold up a piece of cardboard that can go on the roof of the bay adapter (between it and your 3.5" device) to help stabilize the end of the 3.5" device, otherwise the free end (away from faceplate) will move around too much. Obviously you'd pull this out after getting the screws in.

3) If you don't have a magnetic screwdriver, you will need one. Thankfully, you can magnetize any screwdriver by just rubbing a magnet on it for a moment. I struggled until I did this, because my magnetic screwdriver wouldn't fit through the weird empty space.
on July 20, 2016
I used this SilverStone front panel adapter to add a USB 3.0 bay to my case. The two items fit seamlessly together and look great. I would recommend this adapter to anyone looking to adapt 3.5" bay to a 5.25" bay. The fit and finish is excellent and I would not hesitate to buy one for my next build. SilverStone makes some great products and this is no exception.