Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 120 reviews
on December 10, 2013
I have been a loyal SimCity acolyte ever since its inception in 1992 when I was 10 years old. This newest edition has tons of potential but it has been squandered in the name of ____________ fill-in-the-blank. I purchased this edition and the future expansion pack and have logged well over 200 hours on the game. I have deleted both from my machine and do not plan on playing them again. This edition is a failed enterprise for the following reasons:

1. Still too many glitches, freezing, crashing, etc.

Much of the freezing and crashing is probably due to the incompetence of EA's various servers where SimCity is hosted; no server seems to be devoid of these issues. In the past, SimCity could be installed onto your local machine and was only limited by either the games built in capabilities or that of your personal computer. Now it is limited to EA's computing capability. Many have assumed, and probably rightly so, that the decision to "jail" SimCity on EA's servers was intended to thwart software piracy but in time I believe EA will learn that although they may have been successful in that primary goal, they will disenfranchise many acolytes such as myself in the long haul.

Glitches:

Homeless: Once the homeless establish themselves in your city, they are impossible to eradicate, congregating in parks and abandoned buildings lowering land value and forcing decent sims to leave the city. Even demolishing the entire city (which is no easy task) and starting anew does not solve this issue. There is no option to build a homeless shelter or other services to rehabilitate your homeless sims.

Crime: The police data view will state several criminals-at-large and flash warnings about the dangerous crime levels in the city, yet the data map will show that crime and criminals are absent or very near null. No amount of police stations, precincts, LawDrones, and detective wings can resolve this issue.

Solid Waste Management: The garbage tab will purport that not all garbage and recycling is being collected but the data view will reveal this to be false and show the city devoid of excess cans. Furthermore, the Recycling Center claims that its various product recovery lines are full but clicking on the center will reveal otherwise.

Megatowers: Some Megatowers with apartment or mall levels with the same prosperity rating (land value) will remain unhappy and claim not enough shoppers or not enough shopping and sims will move out putting your Megatower finances into the red on an hourly basis, which could eventually bankrupt your city.

2. Mayoral success is hampered by superfluous "disasters" which include earthquakes, tornadoes, UFO's, and large destructive robots and lizards.

No real city, past, present, or future has or will experience the inordinate amount of disasters perpetrated upon successful cities with such frequency as in this version of SimCity. The fantastical disasters do not suit my mayoral city-building desires. Earthquakes and tornadoes I can accept, but only with low frequency and only in select cities, as in real life. Flight simulators mimic real-life flight as closely as possible; as Wikipedia puts it: "A simulation game attempts to copy various activities from 'real life'". SimCity falls incredibly short in this regard.

3. City Size

As others have noted, the playing field is much too small and you quickly run out of building space. I'm not sure why EA reduced the city size in this edition but I can only assume it was to minimize the processing and storage requirements on their host servers for each end user. It appears they attempted to remedy the small city size with the density capabilities of the zones and with Megatowers but this has been unsuccessful.
on March 7, 2014
I was nervous about buying this because of all the bad reviews.
First off, I have had no problems with the servers. Also, the simcity people have been working on an offline version.
I never played the old simcity games, so I can't compare it to them. In this game you don't focus on one single city, you create multiple. You work with all the cities to create a functioning region. You have to decide how to manage the space in each city, so its smart to give each one its own specialization.
I find this game really fun. I have had hardly any glitches, and the ones that I did have did not affect game play at all.
This game had problems when it first came out. They have been fixed. This game is fun and does not deserve the level of hate that it seems to be getting. It is not the funnest game in the world, but it is very fun.
on April 8, 2014
I don't normally write reviews, but this game has serious issues running on any mac with a video card less than 512mb. It will run fine at first, then get very slow as you continue. Meaning, you can't ever evolve past a small town or small city before a lock up. I have 12g of RAM and a pretty juicy processor. Alas, my GPU has become outdated.

Also, this is just the game key, not the download. It will still require you to register with Orgin and download the game through their 2nd party app.

Which brings me to the final bit of info on returning. You CAN return the game ONLY if you buy through Orgin up to 24 hours after purchase. The catch is, I bought it on amazon. Thinking I was getting to bypass the Orgin forced application. So the game is not available for return, which is irrelevant because I didn't get to a point in the game that it locked up until about the 48 hour mark.

So save your time and computer. I could have just flushed $40 down the toilet and saved myself from the Orgin add-on runaround.

I mean, what a poor attempt at acting like Blizzard. I say, If you can't play with the big dogs, get out of the pen. Not only will I never buy another game related to Orgin and probably EA. I will also tell everyone I know about this corruption.

The windows version looks awesome and it runs a lot smoother than the mac. Personally, I would really love to play this game. If only the powers that be weren't focused on money and were focused on quality entertainment and customer service.

Good Luck Orgin

Note: This review was posted after the 'Single Player" update with SC April 2014.
on July 23, 2015
I downloaded SimCity a while ago.

I enjoyed the game for a couple weeks, but then when I saw its competitor, Cities: Skylines, I realized how it differs.

If you want to spend your money on this game, I highly don't recommend it.

Spend money on Cities: Skylines. Skylines works off of Steam, so you can download it anywhere and easily import community developed add ons to the game. SimCity does not.

I am giving it 2 stars because it offers an enjoyable interface and it's easy to play, but the land plots are too small and you cannot add on to them.

The graphics aren't that great on default mode.

You can spawn money using cheats, but Skylines has an unlimited money button and a button to unlock all the achievements/buildings.

SimCity could have been great, but as some of you may know the launch was terrible and tens of thousands of people couldn't play.

This is not the case with Cities: Skylines. Check it out.
on January 14, 2015
Sadly, the thousands of reviews are correct. This is not a good Sim City game and this is not a very good game at all. The fact that the cities are extremely small yet require an extraordinary amount of granular management is frustrating. It fails to be realistic or "fantastic" and just comes across as hobbled due to technical limitations and a lack of imagination. As a HUGE Sim City fan, I wanted to believe that these issues would not affect my opinion of the game but they do. As it stands, the final product is just not fun to play and the cities you are able to create are not attractive or realistic. A sad day for all Sim City fans. I hope Maxis *cough* EA gets its act together and creates a game more in keeping with Sim City 2000 and 3000, which remain the ultimate installments in my opinion.
on October 30, 2013
Actually - it's pretty damn good. I waited until November 2013 to buy/start playing and I have noticed very few bugs with it.

The 'always on' aspect doesn't really bother me - my computer is always connected anyway so what's the difference?

The specialisation aspect of it is really good - I'm just playing a region by myself with various different cities and it is really addictive and engaging.

The cities are definitely smaller, but I really don't find that the cities are too small - it is probably better to have a region on your own so you can have multiple cities that interact and compliment each others' specialisations, and in doing that I've never felt restricted in any way.

I've got a brand new desktop that's pretty powerful, so maybe that is why I have not experienced any of the problems that I've seen laptop users bringing up.

If you liked SC4, and you've got the machine to make it run, I think you will like this. They seem to have worked out most of the major bugs now.
on March 9, 2014
I really like Sim City but there are a few ways they could make this game great. First of all, there should be mini cities between larger cities. These could be a place where heavily polluting factories get placed, farms, and truckstops. The cities are not large enough and it doesn't take much time to fill the entire city. More control of the area around the entire region would be awesome.

There are a few things that drive me crazy. Like if you have 2 transportation connections really close to eachother, you have to erase a little bit of each road before you can connect them together.

That being said, the game is a lot of fun and has a lot of really great features. I love Sim City. I just think that everyone expected so much more from this game. The developers could of made something unbelieveble with so much control over so much, but instead they chose the easy path. What happend to subways?
on May 25, 2014
As others have mentioned, this game does not seem to be well optimised to run on a Mac. I have a late 2013 iMac with 8GBs of RAM, a 2.7 Ghz 4-core processor, and Intel Iris Pro 1GB video memory. According to their requirements, I should be able to run it well. Even on low settings it lags quite a bit. Its not unplayable mind you, but I was expecting to at least be able to run it on medium settings without any hiccups.

The small city size doesn't really bother me as it does others, but it is noticeable. Still, in the end it is a good game to play for many hours. I do wish I would have waited for a sale as $30 seems a bit high for a year old game that runs almost like a Playstation 2 title. I would recommend any who are thinking of getting this to really research before you purchase.
on June 20, 2014
I should have trusted you all, but I didn't. I figured people would never be happy after waiting so long for a new Sim City or that maybe it was just too different for people to like. What I found was a buggy, laggy, and clunky game with a terrible UI, over rated graphics, and bugs galore. I waited a long time until after this game was released for them to fix servers, patch the software, etc and its the same ole same ole. I remember back in the days of Maxis when everything they released was gold, it now seems that with a big company like EA behind Sim City, they are just using the name and rebranding it to some Sim City want a be. To say I am disappointed wouldn't even sum it up. I wish I could get my money back because honestly, Ill never play this game again. Its garbage.
on April 24, 2014
Many people lambasted the game for its small maps. I, on the other hand, found the maps to be a good size. It is a design constraint that is part of the strategy. It forces the user to plan ahead and make alterations throughout the game to better the city. This may require ripping down a block to repurpose which happens a lot in real life! The only thing that came in below my expectations were the graphics. The architecture looks more pixelated then I was expecting. I bought a new MacBook Pro for this game so I know it's not the computer. Don't listen to the haters, buy this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.