Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Simple Minds: Seen the Lights - Live in Verona
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on May 20, 2005
Well, if you want the contents of this DVD (live from Verona) its true its in the Visual History 2 DVD set ASIN #B0000E2W03, but prepare to pay twice as much (or more). I got this one somewhere else for much less, also new. And I am on a tight budget so it suited me fine. I want to get the Visual History 2 DVD set eventually when I can afford it :)

About this DVD from Live In Verona, I always loved watching Jim in his live performances, specially the early ones, because I wasn't even born when they started recording! At the time of their Verona concert I still had no clue they existed! Jim sure looks hot here, He knows how to give all he has to a crowd and you can tell everyone loves him. I almost cried when Alive & Kicking came up. Best live performance I've heard/seen.

I may be wrong but the "let it all come down" version on this DVD is a studio version of the song (although they played concert footage). Some songs are trimmed for the commercial content of this DVD, that's the only thing that I didn't like. But Simple Minds played italian folk music in the streets (also on stage) and that was lovely to watch.

There is also about 10 minutes of dialog throughout the presentation from some of them.

If you're tight on the budget, get this one, its worth the money, I specially LOVE waterfront, ghostdancing was also great. The New Castle City Hall presentation was outstanding I had never seen them play those songs live, with the exception of "Someone, Somewhere In Summertime". Also, I dont know why they missed it in the description, but my DVD contains New Gold Dream live from New Castle (the closing song) it was complete, so I dont know why they left it out of the description (I was sad because when I bought it I didn't see NGD but was so happy to see it on the DVD when I got it!).

Now the Minds are not as young as they used to, but the album Cry is just as good as many of the early ones. Regardless of the Visual History, this DVD is more than worth the money.

------------------UPDATE------------------------
Ooops! I didn't realize that they dont give track listing here on this description... let me help with that:

Verona Italy 14&15/09/1989

INTRO: Partial 'Theme For Great Cities '90 Remix' and *full* 'When Spirits Rise'!

Concert:

'Street Fighting Years'
'Let It All Come Down'
'Mandela Day'
'Waterfront'
'This is Your Land'
'Don't You (Forget About Me)'
'Gaelic Melody'
'Kick It In'
'Ghostdancing'
'Belfast Child'
'Sanctify Yourself'
'East At Easter'
'Alive And Kicking'

For the closing credits: 'Let It All Come Down' melody.

Newcastle City Hall England 20/11/1982
-This is in the *EXTRAS* section of the DVD:

'Hunter And Hunted'
'Glittering Prize'
'Someone, Somewhere (In Summertime)'
'The American'
'Big Sleep'
'New Gold Dream'
on March 16, 2013
Simple Minds has long been one of my favorite bands. I watched the video in reverse order since there were mixxed reviews about it. The Newcastle 6 song concert was amazing. The base and synths were superb. If there were more songs to that concert they should have included it as the 6 songs made it worth the price (under $10). The Verona concert was where I had trouble. To me it was produced by someone used to doing "behind the music" videos where I have seen Eric Clapton talk over his White room performance, Mick Jagger over Keith Richards guitar and Genesis over Phil Collins drums. This Verona concert even had the lead singer talking over "Don't you forget about me"! The music and singing were excellent but almost every song skipped the music intro in favor of a bunch of Verona guided tour photos and video. If I wanted that I would buy a Verona tour magazine. If it was important enough to let the audience see, it should have been part of an interview extra like Queen usually does. I would say buy this for the Newcastle concert and be prepared to skip a song or three from the Verona concert. Still well worth the money.
on November 17, 2004
First of all, I want to say that I'm a HUGE Simple Minds fan since the mid-80's. I have all their albums and the "Seen The Lights: A Visual History" double-DVD set. With that said, the one star isn't for the "Live In Verona" set. You see, it's already part of the "Visual History" set. "Live In Verona" is a WONDERFUL concert set live in Sept. 1989 in Verona, Italy. The band's performance is stunning, stellar, and dynamic to say the least. The one star is for the record label's thinking of releasing "Live In Verona" when it's already part of the "Visual History" set! For those of you that don't know, the additional disc of "Visual History" contains all the band's music videos and then some! You're much better off buying "Visual History" in my humble opinion!
on February 24, 2012
This is a high quality, professionally shot & recorded concert video and documentary. I was very impressed when I got it, far better quality than I had expected. I had no idea SIMPLE MINDS were so good live! The performance is great, song choice is as well. Highly recommended!
on March 6, 2009
This is one of my favorite 80's bands. There's not much out there in video form so I was anxious to see this. One of my pet peeves in a video are the rapid fire shots of the musicians and audience. This concert footage will give you a migraine 15 minutes into it. The audio is barely passable also. It's a shame: such a good group with such poor editing. Anybody want it?
on March 20, 2014
Fast Shipping! 1- Simple Minds- Seen the Lights- Live in Verona. Italy concert DVD. This is a hard to find DVD. Original DVD in original colorful artwork case. I would buy again.
on October 28, 2012
I didn't think this video was very good. Sorry, but not a fan of it. The original songs are much better the way they were first released.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse