Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12" Jumbo Fryer
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Size: 12-inch|Change

on August 23, 2011
I'm actually doing research to replace this pan,and was surprised to see it got such high reviews. I've had it for three years and as all the other reviewers said, it is awesome for function and nonstick-ness in the beginning. I love it and use it at least once every other day. However I feel it didn't last very long at all - for the last 6 months it has been performing poorly and is no longer nonstick. Not peeling, just the layer of coating is very thin, discolored and sticks horribly. I never put it in the dishwasher, don't use abrasive pads/cleaners, never use anything but plastic/wood/silicone utensils but the coating just didn't last. I don't see anything else out there that seems to perform better so I may just buy this pan again and consider it is the price to pay for 2 years worth of use. Just wanted to add this review as someone who's had it for a while. It is the exact same "Simply Calphalon" but I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond.
1414 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2009
for those of you with glass or ceramic stove tops: this pan does not stay flat! It is fine when cold, but once heated (even to medium), it starts warping. Still fries fine, but the heat will not be distributed as evenly as one would wish...
Otherwise nice looking pan and seems like a nice non-stick surface.
99 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 8, 2010
I never thought I would be writing a review for a frying pan, but this pan has inspired me to do so. We needed something in our kitchen that could be at home on the stove or in the oven and clean easily. This pan fits the bill and then some. I have been using it now for about 3 weeks and so far it has perfectly cooked anything I have put in it. Pork Chops? NO problem and NO sticking. Turkey Legs? Tender, juicy and again, NO STICKING at all. I have not had to use ANY oil or grease to aide in browning. The lid fits like a glove and let's you see the food on the other side. This pan is deep enough to trap all the meats natural juices and using the cover you can get a good self basting action out of it as well.

The only thing so far that surprised me is how HOT the handles get. This is only true of oven use, but bear in mind the handles STAY HOT long after the pan itself has cooled and you need to handle them with a pot holder, or two as was the case for me. I also am not attempting to clean the pan until it has fully cooled off so ensure no warping or buckling of the metal or premature flaking of the non stick surface. Speaking of cleaning, what used to take me 5 minutes of heavy scrubbing or much longer with other pans, is now a non issue! This beauty cleans in less than one minute and looks brand new afterwards.

So is this worth the asking price (currently 50 dollars) ? You bet it is! I consider it a bargain and if this skillet lasts more than a few years then I will have got my money's worth many times over. HIGHLY recommended!

REVIEW UPDATE 11-21-2010: After using this pan for more than a month I am still 100% satisfied! I have cooked whole roast chickens to perfection in this with enough room to use the lid. The non stick coating remains perfectly intact with no damage to the finish from heavy oven use and cleans up with just soap and water and a soft dish cloth. A truly fine piece of kitchen equipment.....
ANOTHER UPDATE 8-3-2011: One last progress report. This pan has held up beyond my expectations to constant and sometimes extreme use. It has been in the oven repeatedly for hours on end, cooking chops, potatoes, full chickens and even a turkey. The non stick surface has not worn off one little bit. It still comes perfectly clean each time with little to no effort and looks 99% new except for a very slight baked on grease discoloration on the handle. No warping of any kind and the handle grip looks and feels the same as the day we purchased it. Honestly, this really is a great piece of cookware and I am planning to add more Calphalon pots and pans to my kitchen.
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2010
I'm from China and I use this to cook Chinese dishes. It is fantastic with glass top ranges.

Normally, the problem with most fry pans is that they are not deep enough for cooking chinese food. When you stir, the food comes out. On the other hand, the pans that 'tall' enough for real chinese cooking are normally have a very large and flat bottom. That's not good because the sauce does not contact the material well (in most chinese dishes, you start with just a little sauce by mixing vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, salt etc. it's not that much to cover those gigantic flat bottoms). Don't get me wrong. This has flat bottom too. But it's not that large. It also has a decent thickness for heat conduction.

Overall, this is the best choice I can find under one benjamin. Certainly gas range with *round* bottom fryer/pan is the best for chinese cooking. however, since not everyone here has gas range (i have never seen a non-gas range in China), we have to settle for this, don't we?
on January 2, 2012
At first, this pan was our go-to cookware for just about everything. Nonstick, sturdy, nice lid, not too heavy, good handles, and especially ... large enough to handle a hundred different dishes. We've taken care of it ... no dishwasher, always plastic or wooden utensils, and we always clean it up right away. In our case, the nonstick surface has been just fine.

But the bottom warped after just about a year. (Not sure when it started warping, but after a year and a half the warping is really bad.) On a coil-element stove maybe that's not a big deal, but on a glass-top stove it's a very big deal. Very sad because I liked this pan so much.
on July 20, 2009
This is the pan that you can cook anything in. Great for cooking stir fry or pan fry dumplings. The non-stick coating is excellent. Easy to wash and clean. Well-made hinges. Good quality pot. Love that it comes with lid. The pot is not as heavy as I thought, which makes it easier to wash in the sink.

The only con I have is that the smaller handle still gets a little hot and the rubber grip on that handle seems like it might come off one day if not careful. Other than that, we use this pot very frequently (several times a week) and enjoy it very much. If using this pot, I highly recommend cooking with bamboo or wood utensils so you won't scratch up the non-stick coating. I would recommend this pot to others and would buy again.
on March 2, 2009
This pan is great - it's deep so that you can cook a stove-top stew in it, yet not so deep that you can't fry a few pork chops in it. You can fit around 3 largish pork chops flat in it, but I really enjoy this pan. It's heavy duty, is hefty, and the lid is see-through, so you can see how your food is coming along. The lid also fits the 12" hard-anodized cookpan if you have that one also, I found out *switched lids one day* This is better quality for a little more than at Walmart, so spend a little more, and get this pan instead.
on February 1, 2010
The Calphalon Jumbo Fryer was better than expected. My wife & I had reviewed it on-line, and then selected it for its size & cover. It met all expectations and, even better, had handles that reduced the heat when holding or moving it. BEST part, this item was at least $10 less thru Amazon than the prices in 2 local department stores.
on September 9, 2012
We purchased this pan about a year ago and have enjoyed using it. It is large, heats well and cleans up nicely. Unfortunately, the coating on the bottom of the pan is wearing off even after we followed all the manufacturer's instructions for care and use. We are tossing it and won't buy another of this kind.
on November 4, 2011
Like most everybody else here, I absolutely loved this pan at first. Great size & shape, great handles & lid, excellent cooking. But it's wearing out disappointingly quickly. After about a year and a half of routine use as my main general-purpose pan, the coating is visibly wearing on the bottom and some foods are beginning to stick a bit. This is with all due care - only plastic utensils, hand washed with only liquid soap, medium heat, never used in oven, etc.

I could probably use it for another year or so of slowly increasing annoyance, but I'm not going to bother. I'm going to try its main competitor, the Anolon Advanced Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-Inch Covered Ultimate Pan, and hope that it lasts longer. And hey, if not, it's not that big of a deal to just get used to replacing my main pan with something like this every couple of years in order to keep enjoying the great cooking they offer at first. Since the rest of my pots & pans get much less use in comparison, they still last for ages, so it's not that horrible of an expense for the benefits.