Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 761 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 881 reviews
on December 15, 2015
First, I did not receive these products for free, I bought them. The Simply Calphalon was rated a best buy by CR and I thought that the specs for the Kitchen Aid KitchenAid KCH1S10KD Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set - Black Diamondmade them worth consideration. I have been in the restaurant business for over 30 years so I have a lot of experience with pans, mostly professional sets. So that is my point of reference. The Calphalon and Kitchen Aid were in the same mid-range price point (170 - 220) in November of 2015. Truthfully they are very similar but not equal.

First thing I noticed was that the Simply Calphalon were slightly smaller. Especially the Saute pan. The Kitchen Aid set is dishwasher safe, Calphalon is not. For better or worse (as you'll read better in this case) the Kitchen Aid are heavier. The Calphalon are double-coated nonstick, the Kitchen Aid are triple-coated. Packaging for KA says oven safe to 350 degrees and Cal. says 400. Amazon says 500 for KA vs 400 for Cal. Being curious I had both in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes with no issues. Both are Hard Anodized aluminum. If you have an induction cooktop only KA is compatable.

What is Hard Anodized and does it matter? Hard Anodized pans are naturally nonstick, and completely chemical-free. These pans are made with an aluminum base, which essentially gets submerged in a sulfuric acid bath that has low electrical charges running through it. As it cools, it causes the pans exterior to anodize. A hard anodized pan is extremely strong, has a long lifespan, and because it is virtually non-porous, it resists sticking. Add a few layers of non-stick coating and you have a great, relatively cheap (cost wise), pan.

So what are meaningful differences? The most important, and the one most often overlooked by consumers, is that Calphalon set is 3.2mm thick and the Kitchen Aid is 4.5mm thick. Meaning (all else being equal) the Kitchen Aid is more thermally conductive and durable. And my non-scientific tests show this. The KA heats up far quicker, stays at temp longer and cooks more evenly. It's not even close. Boiling water took about 1:30 less time in the KA and eggs cooked over medium heat in far less time. I had to lower the heat on everything I tested with the KA set. It conducted heat far better that my old Cuisinart or the Simply Calphalon. The difference in thickness also accounts for the difference in weight.

Calphalon double-coated and KA has a triple-coated non-stick coating. The name is pretty explanatory but does it really matter? Yes and no. Right out of the box there is no noticible difference. However, in 4-5 years there should be a difference. Kitchen Aid's triple-coating should last longer and look better. We'll wait and see.

The Kitchen Aid is dishwasher safe the Simply Calphalon is not. Truthfully, I don't care what the manufacture says if you want you cookware to last don't put it in the dishwasher. With the non-stick coating it takes little effort to clean these so it's not worth it. Also, don't use metal instruments and never use cooking spray. Buy silicon utensils and a oil mister. The utensils are cheap and a mister lasts forever and is less expensive than 2 cans of Pam.

Real world cooking experience. After spending a week with each I gave the Calphalon to my son who recently moved out. They are nice pans and should take most of his abuse but they do not compare with the Kitchen Aid set. Cooking is quicker, food cooks more evenly and they look great. The deep black finish and flat tops are a stark change from the grey, domed cookware you usually see. I did find that the handles of the Calphalon set were slightly more comfortable. But that is subjective. Anyway who holds their pans for more than 10 seconds at a time?Neither sets handles became hot but, as expected, the handles on the lids of both became hot.

Lastly, while I like the look of the flat lids on the Kitchen Aid set, they do have issues. Domed lids like those on the Cal. set allow the condensation to continually drain. The flat lids tend to collect the condensation so that when you remove them... water everywhere. You quickly learn to tilt them as you remove but it is something of which to be aware.

Are they a professional set, no. But restaurants cook 300+ meals a day with people who don't care if the pans last to the next shift. So why pay triple the price? Well, the speed at which a 6mm or 7mm thick set gets to temp. is nice but that's the only difference. Usually, the Kitchen Aid set is slightly more than the Simply Calphalon but the they are worth the difference. So, for a mid-priced set of cookware, I don't think you'll find a better value than the Kitchen Aid.

I hope this is helpful in your decision. Be well.
review image review image
99 comments| 674 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2015
*****UPDATE*****
I purchased these in May 2013, and it is now February 2016. I still have every single one of these pots and pans and use them on a daily basis for the past three years. Let me just reiterate that I cannot recommend these enough. If I need to buy a new set, I'll buy another of this exact set before buying anything else.
********************
Original Review:
********************
Oh, man, where do I start with these? I had never bought a full cook set before. I did painstaking research and wanted only the best, and this is where my chips fell. We took them out of the box and they were just beautiful. The non-stick surface is excellent and the entire thing is lovely. Now, it says they're not dishwasher safe, but I definitely put them in the dishwasher. I've been doing so for the past 3 years. I haven't noticed any warping or disfigurement whatsoever. I used them first on an electric stove and then on a gas stove with open flame. I'm not sure when the bottom began to change color and retain whatever's on it - grease, oil, something that looks brownish and kind of shiny - but it's stuck and it's not coming off. The same can be said for the screws that hold the handles on, BUT this stuff is gritted onto it and not coming off onto my food, which is all that matters. They still clean up nicely and work like a charm and the food coming out of them cooks easily and tastes great. I will say this: under NO circumstances can you use any kind of metal utensil in these. I'm a little bit frustrated because I've had house guests and tenants who used my cookware set and simply stuck a fork in there to stir (even though all the -cooking- utensils I have are wood or plastic, even the whisk and measuring cups) and the non-stick coating came off. This is their fault, and mine for not warning them, not a product flaw. Just keep that in mind when buying this, before it's too late: ALWAYS tell guests who may enter your kitchen for any reason, that they CANNOT use metal on the cookware. When it's time to buy new ones (it's been a few years) I'm going to buy this exact set once again and donate the old set to a friend. They're still very useable. I've read that you "can't" use a nonstick dish once the nonstick coating has been torn, but meh. I'm not gonna die, so it's fine. Anyway, I'd always recommend this product. I still love this set a ton.
on April 6, 2017
I bought this set on a Daily Deal for a really good price last year(cough..1/2 the price). It is a medium thickness product. It's not like the old heavy ones from a few years ago, but not to 'junky' light either. I've been happy with the purchase and I would recommend this set to anyone who needed a new set of pots and pans. I have found no issues with any of the pieces. Lids all fit well and the pots and pans appear to heat evenly. I'd drop 1 star if I had to pay more, but ..5 stars for me!
on March 9, 2016
I purchased this cookware for my grandson and his finance. They are very pleased with it. I bought a set of Analon for myself a couple of years ago and plan to get rid of it and purchase this Chalphalon set. I bought two other sets of Simply Chalphalon (not the Easy System) for my daughter and my son over the last 2 yrs and they love it. I should geta discount to purchase my 4th set for myself! Ha
on July 17, 2016
This cookware is very very nice, as one would expect from Calphalon. My folks have been using the set since Christmas. Daddy loved his teflon pans, and I shopped very carefully to get them something that would meet his teflon-y needs and would also meet my needs that they (and I, on my visits) could stop eating teflon in their diets! He is exceedingly happy with these pans. they are truly nonstick, they are substantial, they wash up quickly and easily.
on June 6, 2017
Second set of these. Other one I've had for years and the non stick surface on one pan starting to wear off. Have had calphalon before on another set of pans which had rubber handles that slipped off the steel insides - which I hated. The handles on these pans are just great so Calphalon must have heard the complaints. These pans were highly rated by Consumers Reports.
on February 26, 2017
I've always been a fan of Calphalon and these don't disappoint. They ship very well packed with most the material being cardboard. The pots and pans have pretty thick bases so they take alittle longer to heat up than some other pans that I've used. The plus side is that there are no hotspots and they all heat up very easily.

I also like the fit of the lids. They're fairly heavy and have a nice snug fit, holding in steam very nicely. The handles also don't get hot, which is nice.

I want to be clear that the only reason I'm giving this set 4 stars is that they are only rated to 450 degrees in the oven. I'm assuming it's because there is silicone on the handles. It's great for controlling heat and being nonslip, but it limits the temperature that they can be used in the oven.

I would highly recommend this set to anyone looking for something nonstick. They've performed flawlessly and the price is unbeatable.
on December 9, 2016
Starting to see scratches after only a few uses of the pans.
on March 13, 2016
Enjoying my new cookware. Works wonderfully on my flat glasstop stove. Sides stain easily, however. First time cooking with frying pan, some of the cooking oil ran over the side, and I still haven't figured out how to remove the stain/stickiness. I'm going to try vinegar next.
on July 4, 2016
We loved the first pan we got, we found ourselves trying to cook in one pan so we didn't have to use any of the others. So we had to get the full set. It's only been a month but there is no going back. They cook evenly and my husband doesn't even mind hand washing because nothing sticks to them. We have been able to significantly cut down on our oil/butter/fat usage when cooking.