Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Size: 10-Piece|Change

Showing 1-10 of 742 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 859 reviews
on December 15, 2015
First, I did not receive these products for free, I bought them. The Simply Calphalon was rated a best buy by CR and I thought that the specs for the Kitchen Aid KitchenAid KCH1S10KD Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set - Black Diamondmade them worth consideration. I have been in the restaurant business for over 30 years so I have a lot of experience with pans, mostly professional sets. So that is my point of reference. The Calphalon and Kitchen Aid were in the same mid-range price point (170 - 220) in November of 2015. Truthfully they are very similar but not equal.

First thing I noticed was that the Simply Calphalon were slightly smaller. Especially the Saute pan. The Kitchen Aid set is dishwasher safe, Calphalon is not. For better or worse (as you'll read better in this case) the Kitchen Aid are heavier. The Calphalon are double-coated nonstick, the Kitchen Aid are triple-coated. Packaging for KA says oven safe to 350 degrees and Cal. says 400. Amazon says 500 for KA vs 400 for Cal. Being curious I had both in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes with no issues. Both are Hard Anodized aluminum. If you have an induction cooktop only KA is compatable.

What is Hard Anodized and does it matter? Hard Anodized pans are naturally nonstick, and completely chemical-free. These pans are made with an aluminum base, which essentially gets submerged in a sulfuric acid bath that has low electrical charges running through it. As it cools, it causes the pans exterior to anodize. A hard anodized pan is extremely strong, has a long lifespan, and because it is virtually non-porous, it resists sticking. Add a few layers of non-stick coating and you have a great, relatively cheap (cost wise), pan.

So what are meaningful differences? The most important, and the one most often overlooked by consumers, is that Calphalon set is 3.2mm thick and the Kitchen Aid is 4.5mm thick. Meaning (all else being equal) the Kitchen Aid is more thermally conductive and durable. And my non-scientific tests show this. The KA heats up far quicker, stays at temp longer and cooks more evenly. It's not even close. Boiling water took about 1:30 less time in the KA and eggs cooked over medium heat in far less time. I had to lower the heat on everything I tested with the KA set. It conducted heat far better that my old Cuisinart or the Simply Calphalon. The difference in thickness also accounts for the difference in weight.

Calphalon double-coated and KA has a triple-coated non-stick coating. The name is pretty explanatory but does it really matter? Yes and no. Right out of the box there is no noticible difference. However, in 4-5 years there should be a difference. Kitchen Aid's triple-coating should last longer and look better. We'll wait and see.

The Kitchen Aid is dishwasher safe the Simply Calphalon is not. Truthfully, I don't care what the manufacture says if you want you cookware to last don't put it in the dishwasher. With the non-stick coating it takes little effort to clean these so it's not worth it. Also, don't use metal instruments and never use cooking spray. Buy silicon utensils and a oil mister. The utensils are cheap and a mister lasts forever and is less expensive than 2 cans of Pam.

Real world cooking experience. After spending a week with each I gave the Calphalon to my son who recently moved out. They are nice pans and should take most of his abuse but they do not compare with the Kitchen Aid set. Cooking is quicker, food cooks more evenly and they look great. The deep black finish and flat tops are a stark change from the grey, domed cookware you usually see. I did find that the handles of the Calphalon set were slightly more comfortable. But that is subjective. Anyway who holds their pans for more than 10 seconds at a time?Neither sets handles became hot but, as expected, the handles on the lids of both became hot.

Lastly, while I like the look of the flat lids on the Kitchen Aid set, they do have issues. Domed lids like those on the Cal. set allow the condensation to continually drain. The flat lids tend to collect the condensation so that when you remove them... water everywhere. You quickly learn to tilt them as you remove but it is something of which to be aware.

Are they a professional set, no. But restaurants cook 300+ meals a day with people who don't care if the pans last to the next shift. So why pay triple the price? Well, the speed at which a 6mm or 7mm thick set gets to temp. is nice but that's the only difference. Usually, the Kitchen Aid set is slightly more than the Simply Calphalon but the they are worth the difference. So, for a mid-priced set of cookware, I don't think you'll find a better value than the Kitchen Aid.

I hope this is helpful in your decision. Be well.
review image review image
99 comments| 636 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2016
I really like this set in terms of quality - they're fairly thick so I'm not worried about them warping, the non-stick coating seems to be very durable, etc. If you use them on an electric stove my review would probably stop there and I'd be happy.

The downside: What's not obvious from the photos is the handles only have a partial silicone wrap - the sides are metal the whole length. On a gas stove these conduct heat very well and mean you always have to use a hot pad to move the pans around. I've burned myself twice already on them because I'm used to an Anolon set I had previously that did have a full-wrap handle.

One minor nit to pick: the lids are made of some sort of odd material - I think it's silicone, but it has a bit of a texture to it. This seems to pick up haze REALLY easily and I have a very hard time cleaning them without them turning white/hazy again. I don't have particularly hard water so I don't know what the story is here. I'm sure it's not harmful, but it's definitely unsightly.

The upside: Having every lid have a built-in strainer is a nice feature. Other reviewers are correct that the lids don't fit very tightly, but it hasn't really been a problem for me.
on April 27, 2016
I love these pots and pans! Now, if you are curious as to why you cannot put these in the dishwasher, I'll tell you a story. My father in law came to stay with us for a few weeks and in his attempt to help out around the house he put the small skillet in the dishwasher. I never thought to tell him until it was too late. The outside of the skillet went from smooth to a chalk board texture. The inside surface is fine but the outside is not. Now my husband takes me seriously when I say something can not go in the dishwasher.
review image review image
on July 23, 2016
This was a college graduation gift for my daughter. She was living at home when purchased & sat unopened in the corner of a closet for 2 months. We opened & unpacked them Thursday To find chips/scratches around the top edges, indside & outside on 4 of 5 pans/skillets. I will update my review after I figure out what to do, either return the set or if they fall under the warranty, which I would have to pay for the shipping?!?
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on August 13, 2015
*****UPDATE*****
I purchased these in May 2013, and it is now February 2016. I still have every single one of these pots and pans and use them on a daily basis for the past three years. Let me just reiterate that I cannot recommend these enough. If I need to buy a new set, I'll buy another of this exact set before buying anything else.
********************
Original Review:
********************
Oh, man, where do I start with these? I had never bought a full cook set before. I did painstaking research and wanted only the best, and this is where my chips fell. We took them out of the box and they were just beautiful. The non-stick surface is excellent and the entire thing is lovely. Now, it says they're not dishwasher safe, but I definitely put them in the dishwasher. I've been doing so for the past 3 years. I haven't noticed any warping or disfigurement whatsoever. I used them first on an electric stove and then on a gas stove with open flame. I'm not sure when the bottom began to change color and retain whatever's on it - grease, oil, something that looks brownish and kind of shiny - but it's stuck and it's not coming off. The same can be said for the screws that hold the handles on, BUT this stuff is gritted onto it and not coming off onto my food, which is all that matters. They still clean up nicely and work like a charm and the food coming out of them cooks easily and tastes great. I will say this: under NO circumstances can you use any kind of metal utensil in these. I'm a little bit frustrated because I've had house guests and tenants who used my cookware set and simply stuck a fork in there to stir (even though all the -cooking- utensils I have are wood or plastic, even the whisk and measuring cups) and the non-stick coating came off. This is their fault, and mine for not warning them, not a product flaw. Just keep that in mind when buying this, before it's too late: ALWAYS tell guests who may enter your kitchen for any reason, that they CANNOT use metal on the cookware. When it's time to buy new ones (it's been a few years) I'm going to buy this exact set once again and donate the old set to a friend. They're still very useable. I've read that you "can't" use a nonstick dish once the nonstick coating has been torn, but meh. I'm not gonna die, so it's fine. Anyway, I'd always recommend this product. I still love this set a ton.
on January 31, 2017
Minus one star because the set arrived with the 2 quart lid missing. This was not an Amazon issue but a factory issue. Calphalon did eventually replace the lid but It took my time to take Pictures of the pot in order to prove to Calphalon that the lid was not in the box. I would take the time to unpack and make sure everything is in the box if you order this. Besides this annoyance, the set is strong and beautiful
on March 22, 2016
I've been using Calphalon stainless for years and finally got a set of non stick. This is a great brand and will last forever. The stainless has been nothing but great except for the fact that they easily burn things due to the good conductivity. The nonstick set I recieved is beautiful Calphalon quality and from the little use I've gotten so far they work great. They heat up fast and nothing has stuck to the inside with using very little oil. You do want to cook at a lower heat with these pans of using a radiant cook top, they keep heat very well. The only way I see these losing quality is if they're cared for improperly. I usually don't wash anything by hand, if it fits in the dishwasher you best believe it's going in. These pots and pans will never go in there though. Certain detergents will damage nonstick pans (father is a professional appliance repairman so I know what these cleaners do to dishwashers also) so I suggest always hand washing of you want your non stick to last. Also use only wood or non metal utensils or you'll have a scratched up ruined pan. These of course aren't professional grade pans so don't expect them to out perform the best of the best, but for the price these are some of the best you can get. My stainless set has lasted for years, even through the dishwasher, and there isn't a single piece that has anything wrong with it. If you're looking for a great quality set that will last I highly suggest anything by Calphalon. Unless you're a professional chef and have to have 15 layers of metal surrounding a copper core that was hand forged in Europe somewhere, this is one of the best sets you can have in a home kitchen.
on September 29, 2016
We've bought this set 6 months ago. The coating on the bottom of the pots is peeling very badly! It has not been in the dishwasher. My kids were eating soup one day and said- Mom, why did you put so much pepper in the soup? It wasn't pepper, it was the toxic coating flaking off into my family's food!!!! I'm waiting to hear from Calphalon to see if they will replace it.Very disappointed!
on April 6, 2017
I bought this set on a Daily Deal for a really good price last year(cough..1/2 the price). It is a medium thickness product. It's not like the old heavy ones from a few years ago, but not to 'junky' light either. I've been happy with the purchase and I would recommend this set to anyone who needed a new set of pots and pans. I have found no issues with any of the pieces. Lids all fit well and the pots and pans appear to heat evenly. I'd drop 1 star if I had to pay more, but ..5 stars for me!
on May 8, 2014
Us gay guys really like name brands. Several of my friends, except for me who happen to be partnered really like Calphalon Cookware. So, instead of buying crap from Target, I went and ordered this 10 piece set from Amazon. It did not take long for delivery and, as soon as it got here I put it to a test. I have to admit, this set looks very hot and feels very durable. If you haven't bought Calphalon before, you'll be happy that you spent the extra money on it. It's very well made and, the base of the pans get evenly heat distribution.