Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > The Sims 2 - Mac forum

The Sims 2 makes my laptop shut down!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 2, 2007 4:19:17 PM PDT
Crystal says:
Does anyone have a reason why?? It really bugs me when 1/2 way through it just turns off. I have enough memory and a high enough graphic.. It just gets hot and shuts off. How do I stop this from happening?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 9:34:59 AM PDT
Princess A says:
You know, this has been recently happening to me too! I've been playing the game for about six months now and just in the past couple of weeks, the computer automatically will shut itself down and reboot. It doesn't happen all of the time either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2007 1:19:32 PM PDT
D. Glenn says:
The Sims 2 games are not desinged for notebook play only desk top computer. If you would like to play Sims on a notebook you should try Sims 2 Life stories which is a more simplified version of Sims 2 but it would format much better on your notebook computer

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 6:27:39 PM PDT
J. Leova says:
well this post dissapointed me. i have a notebook too and i'm gonna get the game soon but this sucks. i was really excited..oh well it will work for at least 6 months then..lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2007 6:19:47 AM PDT
RM629 says:
exactly right!! It shuts off and reboots because it is too hot...!! You can buy a cooling pad for your laptop, make sure your lappy is getting the proper ventilation needed to keep it cool and don't block the vents. This happens to my desktop occasionally because i keep it running all the time and soemtimes it gets hot in my room.

Don't give up on the laptop, just be sure you know your systems limits.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2007 8:02:09 AM PDT
A. Hobaugh says:
I've been playing Sims 2 on my laptop for the last year and have had no problems as far as the computer shutting itself down. Yes, the gameplay is choppy, but my drivers probably just need updated. I recently ordered a memory upgrade, which may also help.

In an effort to help some would-be Simmers who are nervous about playing on their laptops, here are some things to remember:

It's a good idea to open Task Manager and stop all tasks, including your virus blocker but EXCLUDING explorer.exe. The manual calls them "background tasks" and they can interfere with smooth gameplay. If turning off your virus blocker sounds scarey, no worries. All the tasks you turned off will be reactivated once you restart your computer.

It's also a good idea to run a virus scan before AND after installation. Running the scan before ensures there are no problems in the computer that will complicate installation. Running one after ensures that there are no bugs in the game itself.

The Sims 2 is a memory hog, I'm not gonna lie. If you can, go into Add & Remove Programs in the control panel and scroll through it. See something you have used in a while, or something that doesn't look familiar? Delete it. It opens up more space on your hard drive and in the memory. Be careful though! Don't delet anything that may be vital to your computer, i.e. your virus scanners and blockers, system update folders, all the kinda stuff.

COOLING PADS ARE A GREAT INVESTMENT! Mine isn't much more than a piece of molded foamboard (or something like that) that keeps the laptop at an angle. Not only does it allow for more comfortable typing, it allows for adequate ventilation. I got mine at Wal*Mart for under $10. I know that some computer companies (I know Dell does, they tried to sell me one!) sell similar items that have actual fans installed in the base of the unit. They're a little pricey, but if you have the cash to spare, it's worth it. No cash? No problem. I've also found that a couple of stacks of Post-Its work fabulously. Three stacks under each of the back corners, one stack under the front corners. Does the same job!

Laptop users, be not afraid. Sims 2 CAN be enjoyed on your laptop. You could always try Life Stories, but I've not heard anything really good about it. It takes up a TON of memory and I guess it doesn't have as many cool features as the ones we've come to love in Sims 2. But don't take my word for it. I've never played, I'm just going by what I've heard/seen in TheSims2.com forums. That's another good place to go for advice about gameplay and associated problems. Some of those people play like it's their job and they KNOW what they're doing. I think you may have to register the game and get a username for EA, but it's quick, free, and you get access to ALL these cool hints and features on the TheSims2.com.

Happy Simming!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2007 10:39:47 PM PDT
I have had my laptop and have never had any of these problems. The game plays great and all of the graphic settings are turned all the way up

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 5:52:38 PM PDT
Corina Lee says:
all you have to do is get a fan for the LAPTOP COMPUTER.. one of the ones that you sit under the laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 5:53:39 PM PDT
Corina Lee says:
dont worry about it, just dont play for long periods of time.. i use a vaio laptop with a bottom fan and its never shut down from the game

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2008 10:09:58 AM PDT
If your laptop is shutting down it is usually heat related. Every 60 days or so I remove my rear memory and cooling fan doors and gently remove the built up dust. It's not difficult to do but does require some common sense. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR as you may damage your hard drive or optical drive. Bets to remove the fan from the unit and blow clear the fins then check the air channel to the ram for blockage.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Sims 2 - Mac forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2007
Latest post:  May 27, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sims 2  - Mac
The Sims 2 - Mac by Aspyr Media (Mac OS X)
4.0 out of 5 stars (167)