Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 169 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 189 reviews
on July 20, 2014
Everything Iris does is simply lovely and really gets into me. She doesn't just sing a song, she feels and delivers the song. Highly recommended. This album is very basic in music production but that's what makes it so great in combination with Iris's voice delivering it all as one heartfelt piece of herself. This isn't glossy new-country music. This is the real deal, the roots of country music.
on March 25, 2017
Wonderful!!
on September 28, 2014
Quick shipping. Accurate listing and rating.
on July 21, 2014
reviewed this ealier
on October 6, 2012
Love it! Very pure sound to her vocals. Her piano accompaniment will remind some of the old time music that was and is still played in small churches in the South. Highly recommend "Morning Glory".
on October 17, 2012
I heard an interview with Iris a few days ago by David Dye on NPR (about 1/2 hour long and a must for Iris fans) and was surprised by the fact that her speaking and singing voices are quite different. When she speaks she could be from almost anywhere in the U.S. Her real self comes out in her music and it is completely authentic. Of course Iris has lived "country", or whatever you want to call what she sings, her whole life. This life includes her very large family living in the deepest South, her gospel roots and her experiences with a financially struggling family living in the L.A. area. Her love for her mother and respect for her mother's music is very evident in the interview and in Iris' music. Music was and is her whole life, but so are the social concerns and issues (corporate greed, hypocrisy, violence, etc.)that power much of her music. She has lived through it all and is so authentic and heartfelt when she sings that if you're in your car playing her CD, you pretty much have to just pull over or drive with tears in your eyes, an experience Iris sings about that relates to Aretha Franklin. Iris Dement's authenticity, soulfulness and songwriting craft are without peer and she really is in her own category. One of a kind. This CD is well worth the long wait. If you love Iris you just ran out to a store or to your computer and bought it the second you heard about it and are already listening, but everyone else should just buy it now and everything else she's recorded too.
on October 3, 2012
The other two reviews say it all. I'll simply add, THANK YOU Iris for a wonderful disc. I can't stop listening.
on October 12, 2012
I'm embarrassed to say that I'm just taking the time to discover DeMent. I've heard some of her songs covered over the years and I've seen her name mentioned countless times in music reviews and articles, but for whatever reason, I haven't taken the time to listen to any of her own recordings. I'm a huge fan of lots of music, but I especially love female singer songwriters. Some of my favorites are Lucinda Williams, Maria McKee, Patty Griffin, Emmylou, Mary Chapin, Shawn Colvin, Dar Williams, Caitlin Cary, Julie Miller, Jill Andrews, Kim Taylor and Kasey Chambers to name a few. I bought this cd based on the reviews I saw here and I must say I'm not disappointed. The lyrics are amazing! After just a couple of listens, these are song lyrics that will be with me always. My favorites so far are "The Kingdom Has Already Come" and "The Night I Learned How Not To Pray." So far, my favorite cd's of the year 1) Cat Power- Sun 2) Iris DeMent- Sing The Delta 3)Bob Schneider- A Perfect Day
on October 7, 2012
I've only listened to this a couple of times so far, and it's really growing on me. Iris's voice is so true and clear, her lyrics tug at the heart and the back-up music fills in perfectly. I'll be listening to this one for a long time.
on October 19, 2012
I heve never heard of Iris DeMent before. This album called to my attention due to an article on Wall Street Journal. In addition to the album, I also downloaded the 2010 song "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms". She is good at what she does. No doubt about it. The blend of gospel and classical country music produces the goose bump and almost haunting feeling. I am not sure that most music lovers can take this unique blend. But, for me, this is excellent art work.