Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Singer New Sewing Essentials: Updated and Revised Edition
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

90%
10%
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon March 14, 2011
From the cover this book doesn't look like it's going to be impressive, but inside it's a wealth of information. Easy to use with excellent photos of each step and clear instructions, it covers everything you need to know to teach yourself to sew, including pattern usage, basic pattern adjustment, types of closures, etc. Definitely a keeper!
on December 13, 2010
I like this book because of its great pictures and detail, however, I have found that I need more! It is certainly a great starter book, and something to keep by the table because of its easy to read design. I like the detailed pictures of the hems and sewing methods but I would like a bit more, about foot attachments and how to sew different hems with different feet and other useful shortcuts!
on June 5, 2013
This is an amazing basic sewing resource.

I learned how to sew from a family friend. She did a great job, and I learned enough of the basics to make simple outfits. But since I learned things the way she did them, I ran into problems when I started to try to sew patterns myself. There were all these techniques I didn't know! All these stitches I had never heard of! And this book includes just about everything I could have a question about.

This is a great, well-illustrated, easy-to-understand resource that covers the basics of... well, everything. It explains different presser foots, different seams, bias tape, pattern adjustments, waistbands, collars, zippers, and more. It shows you how to do different machine stitches and hand stitches.

So if you need a resource of sewing fundamentals? This is it.
on August 9, 2015
This book is exactly what the title says it is. It is an excellent book on sewing essentials. It starts with information about the sewing machine itself and how to make good stitches. It teaches you how to recognize a correct machine stitch and how to correct the tension if your stitches are puckered or otherwise incorrectly formed. It goes on to tell you about the proper equipment you will need for sewing, including the different types of pins and needles and what each is used for, marking tools (tracing wheels, tailor's chalk, marking pencils), measuring tools (rulers, measuring tapes, and seam gauges), cutting tools (scissors, clippers, and seam rippers), pressing tools, and other special equipment. The book goes on to teach about patterns and their adjustment for proper fit and it has a helpful reference page on pattern markings. The book goes on to teach about different types of fabrics and what sewing machine needles to use for each type. It discusses interfacing, sleeves, thread types, buttons and button holes, zippers, hand stitching, darts, gathers, elastic, pleats, necklines, waistbands, collars, and hems. The pages are filled with photographs to complement each section. This is a great book for the beginning sewer and a great reference for those with some experience with these topics. 144 pages.
on December 8, 2014
Definitely a great resource book for the beginner, or at least for me. I wouldn't call it the definitive instruction book, but definitely one to have in your resource library. It is excellent in outlaying fabric essentials; such as, which fabrics are easy to sew and how to handle special fabrics. This book also has information on understanding material grain, preparing fabric, laying out patterns, including plaids and stripes, tips on placement, cutting, and marking. Additionally, tons of sewing techniques are included in this book, including both hand stitching and machine-stitching techniques. The techniques include seams, shape, edges, and closures. I have found this book to be such a great and sound resource for me.

My only thing about most of the books on the market is they really don't address computerized sewing machines. Maybe I am overlooking something, and I would gladly take anyone's comments, direction, or advice on which way to turn, but I just cannot seem to find any text that specifically addresses computerized sewing machines. Maybe it just doesn't matter. I suppose I am too new to sewing to see that it really doesn't matter in the long run. I use a Singer 7258, and sometimes it would just be nice to have some reference on how to fully utilize all the stitches that are available on the model. I feel like I am not using the sewing machine to its full potential.
on February 27, 2015
I gave this four stars as for what it can be used for it seems like it would be a great book. I bought it thinking it was basic sewing, how to use my new singer machine, tips on various aspects of using the machine. Guess I didn't read the info very well. If you want to sew clothes, it will be a great help. Plenty of tips and color photos for making outfits; patterns, different materials, interfacing, cutting materials for outfits, shaping, and all the other stuff that goes into making something to wear.
What I want to learn how to make are projects, totes, runners, pillows, quilts. How to do appliques, landscaping and paper piecing quilting. Ordered a couple of other books in that area, so hopefully they will be of help.
I think I need to look online for a quilting site that has a forum, any suggestions? (half joking half serious)

Anyhow, for sewing clothes it will be a great book, my granddaughter seems to be into that, she received a sewing machine for Christmas, so I will give it to her.
on May 1, 2013
This was purchased as a gift for a beginning sewer. It is a good book that covers just about all basics needed to get started. I'd buy it again if I need a book to encourage a new sewer.
on March 1, 2014
I read this book, easy to understand, and discovered a few helpful hints concerning my NEW Singer 9960 sewing machine that was not included in its operating manual. Would recommend to anyone who is just starting out or even us sewers who are transitioning from an ancient 50 yr old Kenmore to a new computerized model.
on January 10, 2013
I just love the book, I got this and the Machine Quilting and there is nothing better than a Singer Sewing Books for learning or advanced Singer is the best.
on October 21, 2013
While browsing I wasn't sure if I should get the extended version or this "Essentials" one. I've got the Singer New Sewing Essentials.

I'm a beginner sewer; I've got a Singer sewing machine a few weeks ago and I've been having classes for 7 weeks now. Money-wise speaking, it was a good idea to get this one because I still have so much to learn and every basic sewing information is great for a beginner. I am surprise with the amount of info; it delivered more than I expected.