Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Sinister [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on October 27, 2015
Saw it in the theatre and enjoyed this film. It blends both supernatural horror and the horror that human beings do. Director Derrickson does a good job telling a compelling story, using sound design and music, and making a film that basically occurs in one location not feel low budget or boring. The soundtrack is one of the stronger ones I've heard in some time. Ethan Hawke does a solid job. My only confusion was when Hawke's character was watching the found footage and I wasn't sure if the sound/music was from the found footage or the movie we the viewer see; but this is a minor criticism. The pacing is pretty masterful and Derrickson does a good job heightening tension and creating creepy, jumpy, memorable moments.
on December 24, 2016
For those of us who like scary movies, this one is on the top of my list. Actually I have watched it a few times (with time in between) and each time I have seen it I see more things that I missed previously. I have not seen Sinister 2 maybe if its free since it didn't get good reviews. They can't improve on the first one at all.
3 helpful votes
on September 3, 2013
It has been a long time since I watched a horror movie that gave me chills, but Sinister delivered. Without giving too much away, it has a great premise, both psychological and jump-out-at-you thrills, and the acting was good too. Some might find the pacing slow, but I found that it nicely built the suspense to the climax. On the downside I found the scenes a little dark, in the lighting sense. Even shots in the daylight felt like they were lit with a 20 watt bulb. I know it's hard to have something jump out of the shadows if there are no shadows but I felt like turning the brightness on the TV up on several occasions just to get out of the perpetual twilight. The fact that the characters seemed incapable of operating a light switch, even when searching their house at night, seemed excessive. Avid horror movie watchers will also probably peg the ending, or at least narrow it down to a couple of possibilities before the climax. Still, it's definitely worth a watch. A special note as to the music/score: it noticeably added to the suspense and movie as a whole and thus deserves special mention.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 11, 2016
Really creepy... nice pace... low on blood and guts... heavy on ghosts and that boogeyman feel... I bought 1 & 2 and did a dual screening in my family room one night... Oh boy... had us on pins and needles... BOO!
on August 5, 2017
This was a great movie, truly a wicked film to watch! I love that the movie is super creepy and obviously as every other horror movie it has it's great jump scares as well. I am very happy with this purchase even though I will probably not be sleeping tonight because of it. But that just proves how good it was and scary, don't you think?
on November 9, 2013
Thrill ride with plenty of scares, this is not for children. I normally repel and a have no good words for horror movies that put children in them as subjects of evil or being obsessed by evil spirits. This was well done all around spooky and got me jumping. The way the camera excluded the subject but made the viewer the accomplice in seeing these dead or demon children, disturbed and caught the viewer off guard. the directing was super and acting was top notch between the family. other actors seemed too rigid or unbelievable (Police, deputy). I liked it. now I must try to get some sleep...another good reason to watch.
on March 9, 2017
Disturbing. Dark and foreboding. Grisly. No happy ending. Not for the meek or those who are easily upset. Watch at your own risk. You've been warned.
on October 7, 2016
This was an amazing horror flick just awesome. The use of some old time 35" film reals (you'll have to watch I'm not going to spoil it). The thing I think this movie is really good at is an all around eerie feeling throughout and doesn't give to much away. There's not allot of jump scares it just immerses you in this feeling fear and also carries a very well played sub plot. The sub plot being an issue in martial discourse. I like how alternative religious ideology was brought up instead of Christian, every other horror movie with ghosts and demons brings in a priest not this one, well played. This has everything I look for in a good scary movie not allot of jump scares more plot then just oh no its a ghost and thinks out side the box as far as the entity. So genuinely creepy, not allot of jump scares check it out.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 19, 2017
Not really a thriller. The evil being is creepy though. Plot is meh...the poor boy with night terrors....why would the father move into a murder house? And duh...the mother asks,"we didnt move next door to a murder house?" Dad answers no....ugh
on January 26, 2014
I figured out the key plot point fairly early in the movie, but despite that, it was worth watching the rest of the movie to find out exactly how the plot would play out. It was pretty satisfying.

As with most horror movies, there were plenty of moments when the characters' actions defied reason. Ethan Hawke, the main character, is a true crime writer who wrote a successful book years ago. His more recent books have been flops, and he's out to score big one more time so he can provide for his family and continue to avoid a 9-to-5 existence. He moves his family to a town where an unexplained disappearance happened and seeks out to find answers ... which are pretty much handed to him in the form of a box of old home movies, which show the ghastly deaths of one family after another. Despite the scary nature of the material, Hawke continues to work alone in the middle of the night, when everything is scariest. And despite having all these death films, which he should turn over to police, he decides to keep them secret and try to use them to expose a heretofore unknown serial killer.

The tension ratchets up, and ... I'll leave the rest for you to watch.

The ending is unsatisfying and expected, but it's kind of a fun ride getting there. Unlike most found footage movies, this one is actually kind of scary.