Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,638 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,946 reviews
on March 22, 2017
To those who say this movie is not scary: something is wrong with you. You probably need help.

A proper blend of mood, lighting, music, story and character development. A good horror movie does not need blood and guts. Sinister was made to get a PG-13 rating but received the R rating on content alone. Ethan Hawke gives a good performance as the protagonist. Scott Derrickson gives good direction to the cast. The performances were believable, the music keeps your attention and the slow building plot unfolds in a logical manner with a surprise waiting at the end.

Not the best horror movie ever made, I'm not saying that. But I am saying this was a solid movie that shook me to the core. Beware! This one may stay with you.
on May 6, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie at first. The scares were not jump scares (generally) and the tension was a really slow buildup. It started off more as a true crime/mystery and slowing leaked into thriller/horror. It also contained excellent realistic issues. There was a scene where the main couple argue for a solid 5 minutes and everything going on (more like a drama). The "bad guy" was well done and was very creepy. The biggest fault for me came with the dead kids. The extended video clips were good, but I wish they had just kept the kids looking normal. The dead kid look just made it cheesy and sort of ruined the whole feel of the movie which, before the kids, was super unique and awesome (moving pictures and whatnot).
on January 20, 2017
a new twist on a fairly predictable scenario. don't get me wrong, it was watchable. and enjoyable. however, it lacked something. i gave 4 stars because i thought the acting was pretty good, and the filming was nice in setting the mood. the ending was almost predictable. i almost knew just what was going to happen by that point. And the last bit ( a minute or so) was complete cheese. i'm talking limburger. The closing scenes really took away from the film.
on October 27, 2015
Saw it in the theatre and enjoyed this film. It blends both supernatural horror and the horror that human beings do. Director Derrickson does a good job telling a compelling story, using sound design and music, and making a film that basically occurs in one location not feel low budget or boring. The soundtrack is one of the stronger ones I've heard in some time. Ethan Hawke does a solid job. My only confusion was when Hawke's character was watching the found footage and I wasn't sure if the sound/music was from the found footage or the movie we the viewer see; but this is a minor criticism. The pacing is pretty masterful and Derrickson does a good job heightening tension and creating creepy, jumpy, memorable moments.
on December 24, 2016
For those of us who like scary movies, this one is on the top of my list. Actually I have watched it a few times (with time in between) and each time I have seen it I see more things that I missed previously. I have not seen Sinister 2 maybe if its free since it didn't get good reviews. They can't improve on the first one at all.
on September 3, 2013
It has been a long time since I watched a horror movie that gave me chills, but Sinister delivered. Without giving too much away, it has a great premise, both psychological and jump-out-at-you thrills, and the acting was good too. Some might find the pacing slow, but I found that it nicely built the suspense to the climax. On the downside I found the scenes a little dark, in the lighting sense. Even shots in the daylight felt like they were lit with a 20 watt bulb. I know it's hard to have something jump out of the shadows if there are no shadows but I felt like turning the brightness on the TV up on several occasions just to get out of the perpetual twilight. The fact that the characters seemed incapable of operating a light switch, even when searching their house at night, seemed excessive. Avid horror movie watchers will also probably peg the ending, or at least narrow it down to a couple of possibilities before the climax. Still, it's definitely worth a watch. A special note as to the music/score: it noticeably added to the suspense and movie as a whole and thus deserves special mention.
on December 11, 2016
Really creepy... nice pace... low on blood and guts... heavy on ghosts and that boogeyman feel... I bought 1 & 2 and did a dual screening in my family room one night... Oh boy... had us on pins and needles... BOO!
on August 5, 2017
This was a great movie, truly a wicked film to watch! I love that the movie is super creepy and obviously as every other horror movie it has it's great jump scares as well. I am very happy with this purchase even though I will probably not be sleeping tonight because of it. But that just proves how good it was and scary, don't you think?
on November 9, 2013
Thrill ride with plenty of scares, this is not for children. I normally repel and a have no good words for horror movies that put children in them as subjects of evil or being obsessed by evil spirits. This was well done all around spooky and got me jumping. The way the camera excluded the subject but made the viewer the accomplice in seeing these dead or demon children, disturbed and caught the viewer off guard. the directing was super and acting was top notch between the family. other actors seemed too rigid or unbelievable (Police, deputy). I liked it. now I must try to get some sleep...another good reason to watch.
on February 5, 2017
Whoever came up with the first concepts will probably regret ever letting Scott Derrickson near it. The plot was complex and intriguing, however, it was hard to keep along with because the entire movie was almost pitch black. The character played by Ethan Hawke is a terrible father, the children and mother are all very one-dimensional, and Bughuul is a cheap attempt to make the Boogieman scary. Every time Derrickson tried a jumpscare, it was painfully bad and obvious; each new element of the plot was introduced in rapid-fire succession until there was a pile of crappy directions distorting the original story. I legitimately pity the writers of this film; it was absolutely destroyed by the director "trying new angles" or whatnot.