Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,630 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,932 reviews
on September 6, 2016
You could play horror movie bingo with this movie. Perfect, white family. Obsessed Father. Weird, potentially occult-connected child. Murder House. Sheriff telling family to get out of town. Weird artifact in attic. Jump Scares. Found footage. The works! However it was still very enjoyable and genuinely creepy and scary. My biggest criticisms are that the main villain design is not very scary, and of course the lack of originality.

But this movie is SO well filmed. Some of the camera angles are outstanding, many scenes are shot without a cut, which really brings you into the movie. Sound design is outstanding, lots of realistic atmospheric creaking..great creepy soundtrack. Fantastic acting by every single cast member. Great writing. So despite the formulaic movie, it's executed so well I can't complain. It's like having a particularly good Hamburger. Sure you've had a million before, but this one was made super well.
on October 7, 2016
This was an amazing horror flick just awesome. The use of some old time 35" film reals (you'll have to watch I'm not going to spoil it). The thing I think this movie is really good at is an all around eerie feeling throughout and doesn't give to much away. There's not allot of jump scares it just immerses you in this feeling fear and also carries a very well played sub plot. The sub plot being an issue in martial discourse. I like how alternative religious ideology was brought up instead of Christian, every other horror movie with ghosts and demons brings in a priest not this one, well played. This has everything I look for in a good scary movie not allot of jump scares more plot then just oh no its a ghost and thinks out side the box as far as the entity. So genuinely creepy, not allot of jump scares check it out.
on March 22, 2017
To those who say this movie is not scary: something is wrong with you. You probably need help.

A proper blend of mood, lighting, music, story and character development. A good horror movie does not need blood and guts. Sinister was made to get a PG-13 rating but received the R rating on content alone. Ethan Hawke gives a good performance as the protagonist. Scott Derrickson gives good direction to the cast. The performances were believable, the music keeps your attention and the slow building plot unfolds in a logical manner with a surprise waiting at the end.

Not the best horror movie ever made, I'm not saying that. But I am saying this was a solid movie that shook me to the core. Beware! This one may stay with you.
on May 6, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie at first. The scares were not jump scares (generally) and the tension was a really slow buildup. It started off more as a true crime/mystery and slowing leaked into thriller/horror. It also contained excellent realistic issues. There was a scene where the main couple argue for a solid 5 minutes and everything going on (more like a drama). The "bad guy" was well done and was very creepy. The biggest fault for me came with the dead kids. The extended video clips were good, but I wish they had just kept the kids looking normal. The dead kid look just made it cheesy and sort of ruined the whole feel of the movie which, before the kids, was super unique and awesome (moving pictures and whatnot).
on January 20, 2017
a new twist on a fairly predictable scenario. don't get me wrong, it was watchable. and enjoyable. however, it lacked something. i gave 4 stars because i thought the acting was pretty good, and the filming was nice in setting the mood. the ending was almost predictable. i almost knew just what was going to happen by that point. And the last bit ( a minute or so) was complete cheese. i'm talking limburger. The closing scenes really took away from the film.
on October 27, 2015
Saw it in the theatre and enjoyed this film. It blends both supernatural horror and the horror that human beings do. Director Derrickson does a good job telling a compelling story, using sound design and music, and making a film that basically occurs in one location not feel low budget or boring. The soundtrack is one of the stronger ones I've heard in some time. Ethan Hawke does a solid job. My only confusion was when Hawke's character was watching the found footage and I wasn't sure if the sound/music was from the found footage or the movie we the viewer see; but this is a minor criticism. The pacing is pretty masterful and Derrickson does a good job heightening tension and creating creepy, jumpy, memorable moments.
on February 19, 2013
I think the family should have invested in lights and electricity. I think they only used batteries or a portable generator for limited lighting and power. The movie is very dark, as in hard to see kind of dark. If I was scared at night I would definitely turn on a light or two. The darkness does add atmosphere but this movie is almost always dark. Did I say it was dark? It is so dark that even in the day shots you are lucky if you can make out more than a silhouette. I literally thought something was wrong with my computer because you just cannot see more than about 25% of the screen most of the time.
Good performances and some very creepy moments. If you like the supernatural ghosts and the like, you will not be disappointed.

++2/3'ds of the way into this movie I went from 4 stars to 3 stars. I am so tired of not being able to see anything but barely lit actors and sets. Yes, it is the darkness of the film, and yes, it does get to be too much.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2016
For those of us who like scary movies, this one is on the top of my list. Actually I have watched it a few times (with time in between) and each time I have seen it I see more things that I missed previously. I have not seen Sinister 2 maybe if its free since it didn't get good reviews. They can't improve on the first one at all.
on September 3, 2013
It has been a long time since I watched a horror movie that gave me chills, but Sinister delivered. Without giving too much away, it has a great premise, both psychological and jump-out-at-you thrills, and the acting was good too. Some might find the pacing slow, but I found that it nicely built the suspense to the climax. On the downside I found the scenes a little dark, in the lighting sense. Even shots in the daylight felt like they were lit with a 20 watt bulb. I know it's hard to have something jump out of the shadows if there are no shadows but I felt like turning the brightness on the TV up on several occasions just to get out of the perpetual twilight. The fact that the characters seemed incapable of operating a light switch, even when searching their house at night, seemed excessive. Avid horror movie watchers will also probably peg the ending, or at least narrow it down to a couple of possibilities before the climax. Still, it's definitely worth a watch. A special note as to the music/score: it noticeably added to the suspense and movie as a whole and thus deserves special mention.
on December 11, 2016
Really creepy... nice pace... low on blood and guts... heavy on ghosts and that boogeyman feel... I bought 1 & 2 and did a dual screening in my family room one night... Oh boy... had us on pins and needles... BOO!