Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Sinister [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

Boards of Canada is the soundtrack of this movie. If you've heard of them, you now have an idea of just how creepy this movie is. If you've never heard of BoC, I won't ruin the surprise. Few movies spook me. I am a horror movie freak. I love a movie that can give me the chills but there have been so few and far between lately. Then along comes this movie. Sinister. It gives a whole new, different perspective on 16mm films. Ethan Hawke plays a true-crime novelist on the fringe of becoming a has-been. He moves his entire family into a house where a dark and terrifying murder had taken place a few years prior. All that was left was a box of old movies and a 16mm projector. The rest is history. I love this movie. It's the kind of horror flick you can watch and get spooked. There are different kinds of horror films. Ones you can make fun of. Ones you can spoof. Terrible horror films that are more comedy than horror. And the truly spooky. This movie is hardcore #4 all the way. And worth every second.
7 people found this helpful
on March 22, 2017
To those who say this movie is not scary: something is wrong with you. You probably need help.

A proper blend of mood, lighting, music, story and character development. A good horror movie does not need blood and guts. Sinister was made to get a PG-13 rating but received the R rating on content alone. Ethan Hawke gives a good performance as the protagonist. Scott Derrickson gives good direction to the cast. The performances were believable, the music keeps your attention and the slow building plot unfolds in a logical manner with a surprise waiting at the end.

Not the best horror movie ever made, I'm not saying that. But I am saying this was a solid movie that shook me to the core. Beware! This one may stay with you.
5 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2017
I love this movie. The way the 'ghosts' are shown in the movie made me giddy because it was different than they're typically done. The story was really creepy all the way down to the music. That music made the movie. It added to the creep factor & that's always what I look for in a horror movie. I am rarely creeped out by a horror movie but this one slightly did so I have to give it 5 stars for that.
on December 3, 2014
The title of this incredible horror flick lives up to its name and more. I've seen really good scary movies, and I've some really bad ones as well. Sometimes a scary movie lacks originality or doesn't do its job which is to SCARE YOU. "Sinister" is full of shocking surprises, and the twist at the end will leave you speechless. Ethan Hawke has always gotten a bad rap over the years when it comes to his acting ability. Hawke is a good actor. He has a nervous, jumpy energy that some people find frustrating. I think he's very convincing in this film. His character in "Sinister" is driven and obsessive. This film is definitely not intended for children. I'm in my early 30's and I was TERRIFIED of some of the scenes. The beginning scene was very unnerving. Not for the faint of heart. If you're looking for a modern horror flick that will make you think and rattle your bones a bit, then "Sinister" is the perfect film to watch on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Just make sure not to watch it before you go to sleep at night. It might give you nightmares. Just saying. I highly recommend it. Enjoy!
5 people found this helpful
on December 24, 2016
For those of us who like scary movies, this one is on the top of my list. Actually I have watched it a few times (with time in between) and each time I have seen it I see more things that I missed previously. I have not seen Sinister 2 maybe if its free since it didn't get good reviews. They can't improve on the first one at all.
on December 1, 2017
Scared the pants off me after a string of other more famous and well-received horror movies failed to do so. I was covering my mouth and hiding behind a blanket for most of this movie (still able to see it though obviously). Great build up. The main character definitely makes stupid choices, but that's a horror movie for you.
2 people found this helpful
on November 24, 2013
I like horror movies and have watched thousands in my life so far. Very few in the genre are what I would consider to be well thought out with a good plot and/or story. Most are not original and present nothing out of the ordinary. I like them even when most of what I've seen are what I would rank 2 or 3 stars, average and below average. But, the ones that are done well with effort put into the story and acting, it's worth wading through all the average to find a few gems. Ethan Hawke is a serious, fine actor and he has written some books, himself, so this gave me an inkling that Sinister might be different. I liked this a lot. Good acting and a good story. I could sense the ending by the first half of the film, but that isn't why I watch and like horror movies. It's like any other genre...the journey from beginning to end. And, the journey was interesting; I was not bored for a second and there are a couple of unique spins in the story that I have not seen in other films of this type.
on January 20, 2017
a new twist on a fairly predictable scenario. don't get me wrong, it was watchable. and enjoyable. however, it lacked something. i gave 4 stars because i thought the acting was pretty good, and the filming was nice in setting the mood. the ending was almost predictable. i almost knew just what was going to happen by that point. And the last bit ( a minute or so) was complete cheese. i'm talking limburger. The closing scenes really took away from the film.
One person found this helpful
on June 26, 2016
My daughter wanted to watch something really scary for her birthday sleepover party. It seems everyone has Netflix now and days and many of the girls had already seen most of the horror movies on Netflix and Redbox. It turns out that in a group of 10 teenage girls this is the movie they all agreed they hadn't seen but wanted too. It was definitely scary, there was a lot of screaming in horror and great movie if you want to be scared.
One person found this helpful
on February 5, 2014
That's a pretty good movie. Ethan Hawke is a writer, finds a bunch of film in a box in the attic of his new house. He starts tying together a series of murders that are depicted in the aforementioned footage. I could go on and tell you the rest of the movie, but why would you need to watch it then?

All in all, its a pretty scary movie. A few jumps here and there, but in my opinion, that isn't where the scariest content (of any movie) lies. Whenever a movie gives you goose bumps, its a success in my book. That's the reason we watch this stuff, right? Just catching a glimpse of Mr. Babylonian Demon Guy, was enough to get me thinking, "Now this is the movie I've been looking for." Too bad it poops out at the end. It kind of seemed like they ran out of time or money, or ideas. Hence the four-star rating. And now I'm off to furiously masterbate and contemplate what happened to my life. Somewhere I messed up. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing reviews for movies on Amazon.com. Stay in school kids.
2 people found this helpful