Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 27, 2015
Saw it in the theatre and enjoyed this film. It blends both supernatural horror and the horror that human beings do. Director Derrickson does a good job telling a compelling story, using sound design and music, and making a film that basically occurs in one location not feel low budget or boring. The soundtrack is one of the stronger ones I've heard in some time. Ethan Hawke does a solid job. My only confusion was when Hawke's character was watching the found footage and I wasn't sure if the sound/music was from the found footage or the movie we the viewer see; but this is a minor criticism. The pacing is pretty masterful and Derrickson does a good job heightening tension and creating creepy, jumpy, memorable moments.
on February 19, 2013
I think the family should have invested in lights and electricity. I think they only used batteries or a portable generator for limited lighting and power. The movie is very dark, as in hard to see kind of dark. If I was scared at night I would definitely turn on a light or two. The darkness does add atmosphere but this movie is almost always dark. Did I say it was dark? It is so dark that even in the day shots you are lucky if you can make out more than a silhouette. I literally thought something was wrong with my computer because you just cannot see more than about 25% of the screen most of the time.
Good performances and some very creepy moments. If you like the supernatural ghosts and the like, you will not be disappointed.

++2/3'ds of the way into this movie I went from 4 stars to 3 stars. I am so tired of not being able to see anything but barely lit actors and sets. Yes, it is the darkness of the film, and yes, it does get to be too much.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2017
I love this movie. The way the 'ghosts' are shown in the movie made me giddy because it was different than they're typically done. The story was really creepy all the way down to the music. That music made the movie. It added to the creep factor & that's always what I look for in a horror movie. I am rarely creeped out by a horror movie but this one slightly did so I have to give it 5 stars for that.
on September 3, 2013
It has been a long time since I watched a horror movie that gave me chills, but Sinister delivered. Without giving too much away, it has a great premise, both psychological and jump-out-at-you thrills, and the acting was good too. Some might find the pacing slow, but I found that it nicely built the suspense to the climax. On the downside I found the scenes a little dark, in the lighting sense. Even shots in the daylight felt like they were lit with a 20 watt bulb. I know it's hard to have something jump out of the shadows if there are no shadows but I felt like turning the brightness on the TV up on several occasions just to get out of the perpetual twilight. The fact that the characters seemed incapable of operating a light switch, even when searching their house at night, seemed excessive. Avid horror movie watchers will also probably peg the ending, or at least narrow it down to a couple of possibilities before the climax. Still, it's definitely worth a watch. A special note as to the music/score: it noticeably added to the suspense and movie as a whole and thus deserves special mention.
on December 11, 2016
Really creepy... nice pace... low on blood and guts... heavy on ghosts and that boogeyman feel... I bought 1 & 2 and did a dual screening in my family room one night... Oh boy... had us on pins and needles... BOO!
on August 5, 2017
This was a great movie, truly a wicked film to watch! I love that the movie is super creepy and obviously as every other horror movie it has it's great jump scares as well. I am very happy with this purchase even though I will probably not be sleeping tonight because of it. But that just proves how good it was and scary, don't you think?
on November 9, 2013
Thrill ride with plenty of scares, this is not for children. I normally repel and a have no good words for horror movies that put children in them as subjects of evil or being obsessed by evil spirits. This was well done all around spooky and got me jumping. The way the camera excluded the subject but made the viewer the accomplice in seeing these dead or demon children, disturbed and caught the viewer off guard. the directing was super and acting was top notch between the family. other actors seemed too rigid or unbelievable (Police, deputy). I liked it. now I must try to get some sleep...another good reason to watch.
on March 9, 2017
Disturbing. Dark and foreboding. Grisly. No happy ending. Not for the meek or those who are easily upset. Watch at your own risk. You've been warned.
on October 7, 2016
This was an amazing horror flick just awesome. The use of some old time 35" film reals (you'll have to watch I'm not going to spoil it). The thing I think this movie is really good at is an all around eerie feeling throughout and doesn't give to much away. There's not allot of jump scares it just immerses you in this feeling fear and also carries a very well played sub plot. The sub plot being an issue in martial discourse. I like how alternative religious ideology was brought up instead of Christian, every other horror movie with ghosts and demons brings in a priest not this one, well played. This has everything I look for in a good scary movie not allot of jump scares more plot then just oh no its a ghost and thinks out side the box as far as the entity. So genuinely creepy, not allot of jump scares check it out.
on October 19, 2017
Not really a thriller. The evil being is creepy though. Plot is meh...the poor boy with night terrors....why would the father move into a murder house? And duh...the mother asks,"we didnt move next door to a murder house?" Dad answers no....ugh