Siren Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Word Wise: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
Read the critically-acclaimed, fan-favorite Marvel series on Kindle now. Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
- I was pretty surprised at the fact that after the loss of their older daughter, Vanessa's parents were comfortable allowing her to stay in their summer cottage without supervision. It felt forced and unrealistic.
- Speaking of parents, why do ALL the parents in this book seem totally clueless and/or irresponsible. What the hell happened to Caleb and Simon's parents? Their youngest son vanishes and we never hear a peep from them. And the less said about Paige's mom, the better.
- The romance element felt flat to me. I don't mind that it didn't dominate the entire story...but I would have liked it to feel more real than it did. I never got a sense of Simon's appearance at all...nor did I really understand what Vanessa saw in him.
- I'm still trying to figure out what the heck happened at the end of the story.
- Vanessa's total lack of insight about herself, her relationship with her sister, and the big reveal towards the end of the book jarred with her otherwise intelligent and perceptive nature. It felt like there were two Vanessas...one who seemed to be Vanessa and one who popped in once in a while to introduce key, dramatic elements into the plot and then vanish.
In summary, the author is obviously very talented but the story lacks cohesion and the characters were either too flat or schizo to hold my interest. I assume this is going to be a series...I might pick up the next book just to see if the plot gels and comes together more. We'll see.
What I Liked:
- This book pulled me into the story immediately. Not only is Justine's death tragic and suspicious, but the overall atmosphere in Winter Harbor is eerie and intriguing.
- Vanessa is a likable heroine with a family that cares about her. Vanessa's fears feel genuine and endearing, and it is impossible not to hope she is able to find some closure regarding her sister's death.
- Simon is not a 'bad boy' romantic hero. He is a kind, slightly nerdy guy with an interest in meteorology. He and Vanessa have known each other for many years, and when they begin to act on their non-platonic feelings for one another, their changing relationship is presented in a lovely, realistic way. Their romantic scenes together are sweet and sensuous without being overly explicit.
- Winter Harbor is filled with a variety of unique characters that keep the story interesting - snotty Zara, friendly Paige, gorgeous Raina, intelligent Bettina, smitten Garrett, and unsociable Oliver.
- Much like his brother Simon, Caleb is also sincere, thoughtful, and easy to like. Both Carmichael brothers increase this novel's appeal, but I would still consider the story more of a paranormal thriller than a paranormal romance.
- Siren is not afraid to venture into dark territory with several murders and an unremorseful villain.Read more ›
As for the plot, the story had/has great potential (if it becomes a series). If it becomes a series, then I know why I was left hanging on at the end. I agree with the other reviews that it was well written and interesting, but I couldn't help but believe that some of the mythology and folklore could have been explained a little better. I know what sirens are mythologically speaking, but what are they and how are they different in this story? I could try to flesh it out for you, but I don't feel like it was done justice. If the author had been pushed a bit further developing the idea of using a powerful creature like the siren, I believe this story could have been truly superb.
I do believe it is worth reading, if anything to give other writers an idea about how to flesh out their mythologies a little better. As for characterization, that I believe, was done beautifully. Not only were the primary characters interesting, but so were the secondary. Twists and turns definitely kept me reading and I finished the book in a little over a day. It is a wonderful piece to add to my YA fiction collection, but unless there is a series, the best rating I can give is three stars.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The condition wasn't exactly as described but it was not expensive so cant really complain.Published 17 months ago by ALEXIA REYES
the darker side of mermaid myth comes to light. Simply wonderful.Published 19 months ago by brittany perry
The story was very choppy and the characters weren't very believable. The author took a lot of time to describe things in detail that didn't matter to the story, but the important... Read morePublished 23 months ago by K.J. Wilde
This book was an unexpected fun read. I did think the main character was too whiny but it all worked out in the end. Not sure if I will read the next book.Published on May 23, 2014 by Connie K Bushee
This book was pretty choppy. I felt like the characters were in the middle of a conversation and then BAM cut to some other scene. Read morePublished on January 23, 2014 by J Loud
More of a young adult than what I was expecting expecting but it was still a good book to read.Published on July 31, 2013 by AO
First of all, I have to say that I LOVED this book! I kept reading and reading and reading, not pausing after I finished the first to get the second and third. Read morePublished on April 5, 2013 by Read My Review
This is one of those books where I think a person will either love it or hate it. There are some points where it is a bit slow because there is a lot of information to take in, but... Read morePublished on January 1, 2013 by Telos
This book took me hostage for the whole duration of this weekend and refused to let me go until I had finished reading it...and I enjoyed every second of it. Read morePublished on December 21, 2012 by Patricia
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Fantasy & Supernatural
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Mystery & Detective
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Romantic
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Romance > Fantasy
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Fantasy & Supernatural
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Romantic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Romance > Paranormal & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy