Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 3, 2012
This read was well worth it. Sommers has a way with words that makes the book hard to put down. He is able to educate and tell his story, all the while entertaining with pop culture references and hilarious one-liners. As I read this book, I would laugh out loud enough times that my wife was pushing me to finish it so she could read it next.
As a layperson, I have immediately noticed examples of his lessons throughout my life. After reading the book, I engage people with a perspective that makes me a more effective communicator and listener. In other words, simple lessons that Sommers espouses have made me work and interact more efficiently with my world. This book is a must read, and belongs amongst the best that Malcolm Gladwell et al, can produce.
3 people found this helpful
on June 16, 2016
Book was in great condition
on April 23, 2012
What an entertaining and enlightening take on how the world shapes what we do and how we think. I thoroughly enjoyed it from cover to cover (well, so much as one can use that expression for a book read via Kindle). This book would surely be enjoyed by a broad swath of people with all kinds of backgrounds and experiences. For those who teach in the domain (social psychology), it provides lots of humorous examples to illustrate concepts you'll surely cover in your classes. Highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on July 3, 2014
This is one of several recent titles that popularizes the findings from cognitive psychology experiments and points to conclusions for the way we form judgements. It's probably strongest in helping us understand the roots of unconscious discriminatory behavior. It's a fairly gentle introduction to this way of looking at the world, and written with a lively style. Readers who want to explore this form of thinking more deeply might want to pick up Moral Tribes, or The Logic of Failure - both of which offer more of a main course to this appetizer.
on July 29, 2012
Sam Sommers has used his intellectual curiosity, professional expertise, and good sense of humor to create a compelling story of human behavior that speaks directly to each individual. You can instantly apply what you have learned to your own life situation. This book makes you truly see the world in a new way... morality, conformity, ageism, sexism. Situations Matter is a must read for all who want to grow, learn, and excel in the 21st century.
on December 14, 2013
Way to technical and wordy for my choice of a book to read. Couldn't finish it. Do not recommend it.
on January 14, 2012
Sam's book causes you to look at relationships and interactions very differently. Clearly has significant relevance in a corporate/business context as we need to effectively interact with and lead teams and work to influence decisions. A great read for any corporate executive.
2 people found this helpful
on March 27, 2017
Surprisingly light weight, given all that is known about many different kinds of context effects on perception, judgement, and decisions.
on May 3, 2015
Sommers made this book so much fun to read and is an amazingly credible author!
on January 20, 2012
Generally, I separate what I read into two categories: things I would read on Sunday morning for pleasure and things I would read on a Tuesday night (mug of coffee in hand) in the library. Sam Sommers' book blurs the boundaries between these two divides-- and successfully surpasses any other book I have read in the past year.

The topic of social psychology is one that has been documented in textbooks and a myriad of studies. It is a topic that I have previously learned about through both books and the classroom. Sommers puts a refreshing twist on the heavily-covered field and provides a fun, engaging, and thought-provoking exploration on how situations affect our everyday lives.

With personal anecdotes and funny (yet deeply thoughtful) insights, Situations Matter captivates while it teaches us how we can improve the way we react to social situations. The points Sommers brings forth are intriguing and long-lasting, and will keep you thinking as you go throughout your day.

Although I have been a longtime fan of Malcolm Gladwell, Situations Matter is undeniably at the top of my list.
2 people found this helpful