Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(5 star). See all 281 reviews
on July 15, 2017
I've read every Spencer book. Liked most of them. This was no exception. You'll want to read it straight through. I did. Like many good books in this genre you want to get to the end but are a little sad when you arrive there. The alternating chapters of dialog with Dr Silverman did start to get old but you take the bad with the good.
Like most Spencer books, you start to recognize phrases and entire sentences used in earlier books. I guess it can't be helped if you expect the book to sometimes be the reader's first exposure to Spencer.
I liked the new character Zebulon Sixkill.
on May 13, 2013
I have read 38 of the 39 Spensers written by Parker and enjoyed all of them to one degree or another without begrudging the time spent on any of them. Some of them are among the very best of the Hammett, Chandler type detective stories. Since this was the last of the Parker-written Spensers, I was concerned that illness or exhaustion might have impacted the quality of Sixkill, but this was not the case. Sixkill is one of the best of the bunch and was a joy to read from start to finish, and this even though Hawk does not participate. The story is interesting, based loosely on an actual historic criminal case that many older readers will recognize, the action moves along at a brisk pace, the dialogue is as crisp and fun as ever, Spenser, Quirk, Susan, Henry and the new sidekick are people you wish you knew in person, and the bad guys are wonderfully venal and creepy. If you have liked any previous Spenser, do not pass on this one. gcm
on December 31, 2013
I was introduced to Robert B. Parker and Spenser with Early Autumn. From that point I went back and read every story from the beginning and for many years, I looked forward to buying my Spenser novel. I even bought one with the Author's autograph. Some books were less than great, but every book added to the story. If you read the whole series, every novel builds on the past. It is one the reasons I loved reading these books. But all things have to come to a close. When I heard that parker had passed away, I was sad, but he left a double gift - 2 Spenser novels. I pre-ordered them, then when they came, I took my time reading them. Both are strong contribution - no closure, but that's really the best way. I recommend them without hesitation.
on October 8, 2017
AS USUAL, WELL WRITTEN AND THE HUMOR IS SUPERB.
on October 25, 2013
I have been reading these books since the late '70s. None of them have ever lasted long enough, and Sixkill lived up to that standard, though perhaps it was a bit shorter than other stories in the series.

I am a little puzzled as to why Parker created this fascinating Hawk clone so late in his career, so late in his life. Did he already know that his series would all be continued, and give this to his literary heirs as an incentive? Was he toying with the idea of retiring Spenser and Hawk, who have hardly aged in 40 years, and replacing them with Sixkill? I guess we will never know...we will just have to relish the memory of what he has left us with, and, hopefully, enjoy the product of the authors chosen to build upon his legacy.
on December 13, 2016
This is fabulously good reading. It has especially good dialogue. It is both a good detective story and very good human interest.
on March 22, 2017
Great story, well told of course.
on December 7, 2013
Spenser at his best. A great read. Robert B. Parker never fails to keep the reader wondering what is going to happen next. His style and the dialogue of his books cannot be matched. Spenser, Hawk, Susan, Quirk, Belson, the bad guys, the good guys and everyone else join together in Parker books to entertain completely.
on August 12, 2017
good deal!
on February 20, 2013
Sixkill is another winner from Mr. Parker. I've enjoyed all his books - well-written, fast-paced, clever dialog... He was so good at drawing his characters to the point where I feel like I know them personally, knowing what Susan or Hawk or Quirk will probably say next. Sixkill recalls Paul very vividly, and makes me think (I haven't quite finished the book) that Mr. Parker may have been planning to make Z a regular. Notice Hawk has been out of the country for a couple of books - was he getting tired of him?

Don't know about more Spenser books by another author, although I did enjoy Robert Goldsborough's Nero Wolfe books, so maybe...