Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 22, 2014
Stephanie Plum is a bond enforcement agent, working for her cousin Vinnie. She is not the best bounty hunter but because of her tenacity and just plain stubbornness, she always seems to track her skips down and eventually apprehends them. Which is pretty good considering she typically does not have her gun with her, and even if she did it most likely wouldn't have bullets in it. She is constantly losing her cuffs, forgets to charge her stun gun every night and caries around extra hold hair spray in lieu of pepper spray.

With this book, her skips included a man wanted for polygamy, a toilet paper bandit, and a drug dealer with a pet alligator name Mr. Jingles. Her biggest challenge is to rescue her cousin Vinnie from the mob with the help of Lula (who was at one time a prostitute) and Connie (office manager). If you like stories with 6 ft alligators, a stampede of cattle running through the streets of Trenton and the thought of hobbits crusading to the rescue, then I recommend this book it is very entertaining and has some hilarious moments with laughter.

Based on the previous series with the Stephanie Plum character, the plot included Lula too much and not enough of Ranger the ex-military mentor and the homicide cop boyfriend Joe Morelli. It also could have included more of the crazy character grandma Muzar.
on October 21, 2017
Another frolicking, funny Stephanie Plum adventure. Will Vinnie be saved from the Mob’s master criminal? Will Stephanie select Ranger or Morelli? From the first page to the end, the adventure rolls rapidly to a satisfying conclusion.
on June 16, 2016
I enjoy this series. I can see myself reading these time and time again. It's funny, suspenseful, a little romance in there but not over the top or the whole story. The main character Stephanie Plum is very likable. She is funny, or maybe it's more her horrible luck and the way she pretty much expects it and handles it. There are quirky family members, an ex prostitute turned file clerk and Stephanie's amusing and bold best friend, Morelli and Ranger, Stephanie's two romantic interests, all of this is mixed in with murder, mystery and suspense.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2010
I have read Janet Evanovich from the beginning - my local bookstore was trying to promote the second book and was giving away a free copy of One for The Money with every purchase.
Back then Ranger was a secondary character, not like he is hyped to be now, but the story was new and the plot was silly and hilarious.
Grandma Mazur, Stephanie Plum's grandmother, has always been a hoot and loves to go to funeral viewings, usually at Stiva's Funeral Home. They serve better cookies there.
So here we are, at number 16 and Sizzling Sixteen sizzles when bombs go off, but as far as the plot is concerned, little laugh out loud moments appear in this offering.
Cousin Vinny who owns the Bonds company Stephanie, Connie, and Lula, and sometimes Ranger work has been kidnapped and they want a king's ransom to get a weasel like Vinny back.
There are some funny moments in this book, mostly centering around underwear and stink bombs, and Mooner makes a visit and that's always, like, groovy man...
But sexual tension between Stephanie and Joe Morelli and Ranger is kept to a minimum. One scene with Ranger, several with Joe. Part of that interplay between the three characters keeps you going, although you know there can never be a resolution, because when there is, there is no sexual tension, no plot being driven through characters' love triangles.
There are some laughs, but fewer than previous novels.
I think Ms. Evanovich should step back, maybe rethink things since there will be new beginnings in 17, and see what made previous books page turning laugh out loud books.
Yes, I too will keep reading her, but only the Stephanie Plum books, but we especially now need laughs, silliness and a new boost in the arm in this series.
Katherine Heigel said on Regis and Kelly that she is going to be Stephanie Plum in the film One for the Money - they must have finally gotten a good script they were waiting so long for - will be interesting to see it in film.
on February 21, 2012
Not much time has passed in The Burg, with the exception of the addition of all the new high tech gadgets. So I really am ok with Stephanie not being able to choose her man. That's really part if the excitement of the storyline. But I'm not ok with the writing and lack of organization, flow, imagination, and really her earlier knack for making the story, scenes, and people come to life in my imagination.

Did Janet actually write this or is someone else doing the writing for her? Is this Janet's writing and she lost "Super Jen" her editor she always credits at the beginning of her books? These people in this book clearly are not the same ones that got my heart pumping and my mind racing in the earlier books.

It just makes me sad the passion doesn't seem to be there anymore. It literally took me 2 weeks to read this. I had to force myself to finish it. With the earlier books, it would take me just two or three evenings after work to zip through one and quickly start on the next. I'm contemplating quitting this series so I don't feel this disappointment again with this series.
on September 21, 2010
I think Sizzling Sixteen was farmed out to another writer. Understandable, perhaps - writing these must be a real chore after all these volumes - but JE's voice just isn't there. The writing is flat, the events are stale, and the characters don't act like themselves.

Exhibit A: Lula no longer speaks Black English?? Please... I was delighted in the first few pages to see hints we might learn more about Lula - she's been a cartoon for too long - but then she started talking and it wasn't her. No attitude, no fun, no energy, and a collection of platitudes that she would never utter.

Exhibit B: Rehashed material. I don't mean the standard one-liners about Grandpa Mazur going to heaven - those are funny. I mean rehash...(and there are a lot more than the following two examples...) Morelli thinks Ranger is a nut job? Old. Despite the adversarial relationship over Stephanie, they work well together ...they're certainly informal partners, maybe even friends. And then Ranger talks about Steph owing him? He stopped that in Book 8 after they had sex - "there's no price on what we give each other" - which I took to mean no accounting, no keeping score, no owing. And so on.

Exhibit C: Where is the humor? There isn't a single funny scene or wisecrack in the whole book. I didn't even smile, and I usually read Plum novels in private so nobody stares when I laugh out loud. Nor is there much suspense, just a lot of driving around.

I'm glad to see JE has a new publishing house - maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt and just forget about Sizzling Sixteen.

In fact, here's a suggestion. There is better writing on some of the fan fiction sites (and admittedly worse, too, of course). How about we ask JE to hold a contest? Initially people would submit one page - from that the editors take maybe fifty or a hundred and ask for sample chapters, and finally 5 people to write a full novel. Best one(s) get published. Then she doesn't even have to write the next few.
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2010
I read ALL of Janet's books and LOVE Stephanie Plum. Usually I'm laughing hysterically and people in the room are staring at me like I'm a freak. Sizzling 16 was not this same level of book. It seemed to be the same old same old, even some of the hi-jinks seemed like a rerun. I agree that it is time for Stephanie to grow up and decide between Ranger and Joe. New job or bounty hunter. I think Ranger truely loves her, who else would do everything for her and expect NOTHING in return. He loves her even with her junk food obsession and slob tendencies. Joe is too much like her. I also agree that Lulu is funny, but too much Lulu in 16. She gets annoying FAST! Grandma is great and you could use her more than Lulu. I also agree maybe it should be syanora seventeen and end the series with commitment and hilarious comedy. Go out while you are ahead because if 17 is as blah as 16 I doubt I will read 18. Like all good sit-coms there comes a time to end. The time has come for Stephanie.
on July 28, 2017
I ordered that a long time ago. Sorry for not getting feedback. It is being well read as well.
on August 7, 2011
I saw another reader use this word to describe the book and it's exactly how I felt after I finished it - meh. I do realize that the Stephanie books are supposed to be fun, easy, light reads, and maybe I'm too hard on this series and expect a lot more than I should, but the past few books have been big letdowns. The "mystery" of this book lacked any depth and left me not caring at all about how it would turn out. Comedic bits and circumstances Steph finds herself in are being repeated. How many time can she fall off a fire escape and have it still be funny? Worked the first time around, not so much this time.

I enjoy her supporting characters, but there was too much Lula. This happened in 15 as well, and a little of Lula goes a long way.

I truly don't know what to think about Steph and the triangle anymore. I'm a Joe fan, have been since book 1 (doesn't mean I don't enjoy a hot Ranger scene or two or 10) and I have a hard time understanding why these 2 guys keep hanging around while Steph is her usual undecided self.

Personally, I think the series has run its course, and there seemed to be a little foreshadowing of this with Steph really thinking about how tired she is of her job. However, I've been with Steph, Morelli and the gang for 16 books, and I'll keep reading until the end.
on July 1, 2010
Janet, Janet, Janet. Where'd you go wrong? I thought after 15 it couldn't get much worse, but Hobbits? Hobbits!? Really?!
I've gotten used to the fact that her idea of thrill and excitement is usually about 10 pages at the end, but this time, it was just so forced, so cheesy, so wrong.
There was no sizzle and while the book promises a lot of Morelli and Ranger, they are hardly present. And this time the antics were so unrealistic it was almost uncomfortable.
I have been a huge J.E. fan for a long time, now. I have read every book multiple times. I personally enjoy 1 and 8 the best. I don't think there are any others that can truly match those two.

One thing I will say, though, is that 16 has left big possibilities for 17. Personally, it can't be any worse than 16 was.

Janet, please. For the love of all that's good, make something happen with Stephanie. For growth. I just can't see this book go on past 17 if you don't have her grow somehow. Marry Morelli, kill off a main character, blow up another car...something. This is getting so very old.
But I still love you.