Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Sketches Of Spain
Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(3 star). See all 260 reviews
on September 23, 2016
Recording quality is good for such an old recording
on June 1, 2015
So excited to find this CD. Listened to the record years ago.
It's OK but without the fidelity of the LP or a good CD.
on February 1, 2016
I got tired of the horn as the CD when along, but it has it moments.
fair
HALL OF FAMEon May 14, 2002
This certainly will not be one of my favorite jazz plays. Likely, it stems from its beginning, one of favorites:Concierto De Aranjuez. I'm afraid that this interpretation just doesn't set well with my ear.
The rest of the numbers seem not the best of recording clarity, and lack luster, whatever. The improv work I'm sure takes great skill and effort, but it's not my kind of sounds.
Certainly, others with more jazz exposure than I feel strongly that this is a essential classic, as evidenced by the many reviewers on this site. I will continue to listen with an open mind, but for right now, this isn't my fav kind of jazz.
on March 28, 2017
The songs are really, really mellow, not really like any of Miles Davis' other albums.
on February 19, 2011
Being somewhat new to jazz, or at least traditional jazz, I had heard the name Miles Davis and had heard he was one of the greats. I decided to check it out by buying two of his most well-known albums. These were Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. The second of these two I consider to be the more avant-garde. The pros of this album is that it is different, and the cons of this album is that it is different. I'm not a trained musician, and don't claim to be an expert, but it is definitely not elevated elavator music. That is to say, it is not dull, repetitive smooth jazz. I've been trying to think of how to describe it, and perhaps, by comparison, it is like going to a Greek restaurant for the first time: different, yes, and possibly something you could eventually develop a taste for. I listened to this album for the first time today, after listening to Kind of Blue last weekend, and it is captivating. It is not something you put on and read a book to while half-listening. It is worth checking out.
on January 13, 2017
It' kind-of way back.
on June 4, 2016
I much prefer the original, orchestral recording by Joaquin Rodrigo.
on June 9, 2010
I am an admirer of both Miles Davis and Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez but I found the combination disappointing. I thought that Davis even sounded flat on occasion. Pity, so I think I'll stick to the guitar version for this piece of music in future and enjoy Miles playing the ballads.