Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 231 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 265 reviews
on April 25, 2014
I am the person that hates dieting and has never been able to stick to one more than 2 days! Just the thought of it makes me want to eat more. My husband and I are in our late 40's and have both gained an extra 10+ pounds in the last ten years. I am passionate about cooking and not afraid to try most things. We eat pretty well already with veggies and proteins (or so I thought). I saw Bob talking about his book on tv and for some reason felt the need to order it. I read through the recipes and thought it looked like something I could do. We started on Monday and it is now Friday afternoon. My husband is down 6 pounds and I am down between 4-5! (I exercised hard 4x this week for an hour with cardio and weights) We both feel great! This book works because you are eating large, healthy portions for breakfast and lunch and not getting hungry in between. You need to eat all that is in the recipes. Also, the "no carbs" after lunch rule is a really big help. I'm convinced this really helps to keep the weight off. We have both been drinking more water as well and eating an apple and berries each day as Bob recommended. You will be surprised how many more vegetables and proteins you are eating when you follow this. This is how we all need to eat in order to live a longer, healthier life. We said we'd try it for 5 days but neither of us are feeling cheated or craving snacks so we are just going to continue. Note, I was a huge carb addict and never thought I could stop craving but I have.

We've tried a lot of recipes. Our favorite breakfasts are the avocado toast (you get to eat 4 hard-boiled egg whites) and the eggs florentine. Our lunch favorite is the pesto quesadilla. Instead of the Ezekiel tortilla I used a large whole grain wrap with 1/2 the calories of the tortilla and equal in protein and fiber and much more flavorful. I used about a tablespoon of my own fresh pesto and left off the shredded mozzarella because you can't taste it anyway. Also, used about a teaspoon of fresh grated reggiano parm on top. Dinners have been great for the most part...loved the salmon with creamy dill sauce, mighty meatloaf, and steak and warm spinach salad. Not crazy about the zucchini with avocado cream. Tonight is the spaghetti squash pad thai but with grilled shrimp instead of chicken.

Now that we understand the balance of proteins, fats, and carbs for each meal, we are creating some of our own meals as well. I made a great arugula and spinach salad with roast turkey, tomatoes, red peppers, red onion, and a scallion fat-free greek yogurt dressing for lunch. Lunch today was 2 slices whole wheat toast with roast chicken, a thin slice of deli ham, baby spinach, tomatoes and 1/4 avocado spread on one piece of toast. Snacks have been an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter or yogurt with frozen mixed berries.

I highly recommend this for people looking to change their bad eating habits and getting healthy.
on October 3, 2014
I have followed most of these “skinny rules” for years, and try to eat this way and exercise regularly. Because of my efforts I have successfully gotten to my pre-pregnancy weight - and kept off the weight as I have entered my 40s. However, as a working mom with a busy family, its hard to find quick delicious recipes that are also healthy. I own a plethora of weight loss cookbooks and have cooked from all of them. After one week of cooking from this cookbook I have to tell you it’s the best of the bunch. Why? 1) Most importantly – the flavors. The recipes are so flavorful you don’t feel like you are missing anything. Bob substitutes avocado for oils, greek yogurt for cream, agave for sugar, and vegetables for pasta. The recipes explode with flavor, and you are satisfied when your meal is over! 2) There are many EASY recipes with few ingredients that you can repeat over and over. This is my BIGGEST issue with other weight loss cookbooks. Some of them consist of recipes with WAY too many ingredients and too many steps to be practical. Other cookbooks contain recipes with minimal ingredients but also lack flavor. This book combines easy recipes with amazing flavor!!!!! Of course some of Bob’s meals take longer than others, but if you prep in advance – chop your vegetables, poach up a bunch of chicken, create sauces/dressings in advance it makes the prep easier. Reviewers who say that these recipes are too difficult are making excuses. My favorite recipes so far are chicken romana (I substituted shimp), zucchini noodles with avocado cream sauce, banh mi chicken salad (I could eat this daily). 3) Easy to find ingredients – the only unusual items I needed for this week were oat flour, liquid aminos and curry paste, all of which were readily available in my local grocery store. 4) I like that most of his recipes are designed for one serving. This aspect was considered a negative by some of the reviewers, but I love it because I just need to double the recipe for my husband and I. My children are incredibly active and they are not on a diet (and have more bland palates), so I serve them a variation of what we are having. Example – when I made the chicken romana for my husband and I this week, my children ate grilled chicken, raw red peppers and tomatoes (which I already had chopped for the chicken romana) with steamed broccoli (quick in the microwave) and a slice of whole grain bread. Not terribly difficult!!!!! So in summary, this is a FANTASTIC book. Lots of flavor, easy recipes, great principles. Love you Bob!!!
on April 29, 2014
I just got this book a few days ago, but I have to say that I'm already getting frustrated by the some of this book's faults. I'm only a few days into the meal plan (just breakfast and dinners) but I've already run into some recipes that either leave some instructions out, or recipes where the ingredients weren't on the pantry list, or the weekly shopping list.

For a couple of examples of poor instructions, the pan-seared salmon with zucchini and yellow squash leaves out how to pan sear the salmon, & the spaghetti squash casserole ask for roasted veggies but doesn't tell you what veggies or herbs to use.

For an example of recipes where the ingredients aren't on the pantry list, or weekly shopping list, you can look at the Chicken Curry over Cauliflower "Rice" & Tangy Shrimp with Coconut "Rice" recipes where they ask for "lite" coconut milk. Again, I've only gone through a few recipes for week 1 but I'm guessing this will happen with recipes for the next 3 weeks.

If Bob writes a follow up, I'd like to see him use measured quantities. For example, the Avocado toast ask for 4 hard-boiled large egg whites, chopped. When I finished chopping the 3rd egg white I noticed that the amount of egg whites I had was enough for about two pieces of Ezekiel bread. With the Spaghetti Squash Casserole it ask for 1 small yellow onion chopped, but I can't help but think that an exact measurement like half a cup or quarter cup would be more helpful.

Another thing I'd like to see in a follow up is a weekly shopping list that indicates what meals each ingredient is used by. Like I mentioned above, I'm only making the breakfast and dinners at this time, so I can't help but think that I purchased some items that I didn't need to.

Other than those annoyances, I have enjoyed the recipes I've made so far. I was also able to find most of the ingredients (so far) without trouble, except for the Ezekiel tortillas. Each recipe also has nutrition information, like the total calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber.
on December 28, 2015
This book is what really helped me see food differently and kick some of my bad habits- BUT there are several typos I found in it and some technical errors with the premade menus at the back of the book. Bob says your dinners should be "lean and green" yet some of the menus and chapters have recipes in the DINNER section that have carbs? This bothered me just because it should have been edited out so the book would not be contradictory with it's own advice! That being said, I was inspired by the advice in this book and enjoyed some (not all) of the recipes in it. I would definitely buy it again and I refer back to the book from time to time.
on August 10, 2014
Not really sure what to write about this, I love Bob on biggest looser so I bought this book thinking it was going to give me some really good healthy simple recipes to start my weight loss journey. Unfortunately some of these items he has listed in the book I can't get and have never heard of. I live in a smaller city that doesn't really carry alot of the odd stuff the recipes call for. We have one "all natural food store" here and its very expensive. Just not sure how this book is going to help me loose weight and eat healthy with in a reasonable budget. Sorry Bob
on June 19, 2014
This book isn't for everyone. My daughter and I wanted to jump start our diet plan, so decided to pick out 3 days' worth of meals and stick with it. Some are quite tasty, but they're "skinny meals"...they are low fat, low carb, low salt recipes. So don't expect Chef Ramsey dishes. We both found it hard to stick with for 3 days (mostly because we missed salt), but we did. And, surprisingly, I lost 7 lbs and my daughter lost 3 (she doesn't have as much to lose as I do). Although we did not continue with Bob's diet plan, we incorporated some of the recipes we loved into our own plans. And of course his "skinny rules" are very helpful. Recommended with reservation.
on September 28, 2014
I LOVE this book! But I will say you have to be willing to put some time into getting the hang of food items needed for the recipes. I have taken a few weeks to go over lots of recipes and the ingredients needed and have purchased them. I was ready for a food intake overhaul and this fits my taste and lifestyle needs. I was drawn to it mostly because each recipe is set up for one person. I can multiply it if I want to for my family, but I really like the nutritional and portion size to be about one person. Lots of big pictures and tips along the way. As I cook exclusively from this book, it becomes easier to make Bob Harpers thinking a way a life. A really good eating way of life for me. And because I am not needing to loose a lot of weight fast, but am looking of a new way of eating, I am not strict as far as eating what I want to when out with family and friends. I needed a lifestyle not a straight jacket. I really like his 20 rules for eating as a great basis for feeding yourself. And with that in mind, it is the best book I have bought in a long time.
on November 8, 2015
The skinny rules are very helpful {in another book}, but I can't believe the reviews on the recipes in this book are real. I am a great cook and enjoy making delicious and healthy meals for my family. I never make something that is so awful I throw it all out, but I just tried the blueberry muffin recipe and could not believe how awful they were! Straight to the trash. There is no baking soda in the recipe or any leavening or coconut oil so they are just heavy lumps!
There are some amazing cooking blogs with recipes that are created with healthy ingredients and a focus on flavorful, beautiful food so there is no need to eat tasteless lumps named Bob's Awful Muffins. Other than the salad recipes in this book which look pretty basic I am not going to be cooking from this book again.
on July 19, 2015
This has become my cooking bible even after losing the weight. Bob has such sensible ideas and suggestions for the life style changes necessary for losing weight that I was able to make them without upset or trauma. His recipies are super delicious and I never felt deprived at all. He even has slightly altered versions of heavy sauces that make them weight friendly and yet taste delicious. I highly recommend this book. He is very knowledgable about health and nutrition yet makes it all appealing!
on February 16, 2017
I bought this book to go along with Bob Harper's Jump Start and Skinny Rules. You don't really need this for Jump Start--that book is a 21 day mapped out, step by step, dawn to dusk program book. This recipe book is more a companion piece to Skinny Rules. I have liked the recipes I have made so far--I am trying to prep my meals to prevent the "I'm home from work and don't know what to fix for supper so I'll eat anything in sight" mistakes. These are simple meals that are quick and easy to prepare with fresh ingredients. I particularly like the breakfast make a heads. I find them to be filling and satisfying. If you are vegetarian, this is not the book for you. Although Bob encourages a meatless day a week, the focus is on main courses with a meat protein. This is a good book with good recipes.