Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Skip Hop Giraffe Safari Xylophone, Crocodile, 18 Months Plus
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on April 8, 2014
We purchased this toy last Christmas for our son who was 19 months old at the time. It has taken him a little while to warm up to it (at first he wasn't too interested) but now it's one of his go-to toys and is almost always a tripping hazard somewhere on the kitchen floor.

He likes the clacking crocodile mouth as he pulls (more like slings) it around the house, and the wheel base is wide enough so that it actually stays on all four wheels. So far it's a little beaten up but no chipping or peeling paint nor any rough spots in the wood. I like that the mallet is attached (and neatly stores in croc's mouth) so it doesn't get lost, but as others have said the string is a little short so using it to play on the xylophone is awkward at best. However, I would assume a longer string would be a safety risk.

Before purchasing this toy, I read dozens of reviews on various toy xylophones that complained of poor intonation driving musically-inclined parents crazy. My husband and I have four degrees in classical music between us so I was concerned about being annoyed by anything we purchased, but honestly this toy is really not that bad. I will say that the "fa" note (the green key) is WAAAY sharp. We're kind of used to it now. Yes, it's a little grating on the ears, but it's no more grating than any of the other noisemaker toys scattered around the house. In fact it's way less annoying than some of the songs on his light-up singing toys. I think if we were expecting perfection we would expect a much bigger price tag. But for just $25, it's an excellent value and a great introduction to making music.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a durable first xylophone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Skip Hop is known for quality items. I did not expect any less when I received this toy.

My daughter has a xylophone made by Little Tikes Tap-a-Tune Xylophone. It is nice but bulky. Also, the mallet is very short and it is close to impossible to hit the keys. She pretty much gave up with playing with it due to that.

When she received the Skip Hop, the colors attracted her attention. Also, it is smaller. She is three years old and loves pulling it around the house. I like that it is made out of wood. It glides across my floors with ease and does not have any dings in the wheels. The mallet to the Skip Hop is long enough to hit all of the keys. The keys are metal but I would expect them to be in order to give a musical sound. I read some people were surprised the keys were not wood. That was not an issue with me. I also like that you can store the mallet in the alligators mouth. There is a white felt trim around the mouth, supposed to be teeth, and they are showing some discoloration from play.

I am very impressed with the quality of the toy and like the smaller size. It is perfect for little hands to play with and also easy to store in the toy box. I can't think of one con with the toy. Even with it being wood there are no splinters or rough wood areas.

This is a quality toy that either a boy or girl would enjoy playing with. It is a bit loud so if you have a headache, you might want to leave it in the toy box until you feel better.
on May 24, 2016
I bought this for my grandson (now 14 months). This little aligator is quality made. The wood is very nice quality and the painted portions are clean and non-toxic, which is very important feature. the mallet is well constructed. it would be nice if the pull string was a few inches longer. it is slightly ackward trying to play on the xylophone and also while he is pulling it around it tends to be a little "airborn" doing a wheelie. The mouth on the aligator chomps up and down and he gets a hoot out of that.
This is an excellent item to buy yourself or to give as a quality gift.
on June 14, 2014
I love that the mallet to hit the notes with is attached to the alligator via a string. One less thing for me to go searching for and keep track of! My twins are 12 months, and while this product says its for 18 months and up, they've been playing with it for several months already and enjoy it. I didn't realize until I received it that if you pull the alligator by the mallet and cord as a pull toy that the mouth of the alligator chomps up and down- pretty cute and fun! I think this is one of the toys that will stand the test of time, it seems pretty well made and durable.
on December 3, 2013
We have a few other brand name xylophones and this one is a hit right now with our 20 month old. We have it in his toy box in his room and we often hear him tapping away. A plus is that the mallet is attached. A BIG plus is that the string on the mallet is actually long enough for him to actually pull it while walking, which he does do. If looking for a gift for a musical toddler this is a cute choice.
on November 6, 2015
I truly love skip hop. This xylophone is exactly why I continue to purchase products time and time again. It's compact so it can easily be taken in the car, the stick is attached which ensures our young ones will never lose it, it's multifunctional as it is not only a musical instrument but also a pull toy, and it's adorable! The colors are so enaging, the notes are tuned to the correct pitch, we haven't had any issues with wobbly or squeaky wheels and the rope is sturdy. This couldn't be any better!
on November 11, 2015
Really cute, and my baby boy loves the noise it makes (though my husband says it's out-of-tune, ha!). Our baby grabs it by the yellow end and tries to hit it with the red end. I've tried to show him how to do it the other way, but that's how he likes to do it - until the string gets in the way. It's a little short, so be aware of that.
on October 27, 2015
Great Musical toy for your kid. Made of beautiful wood and plastic, the colors are great. Mine came with a few scratches but I chose to keep it anyway because my kid started playing with it immediately and she loves it. As others have pointed out, the string is a little short but I haven't found this to be a problem yet.
on September 24, 2015
My one year old loves this! I love that it's a pull toy in addition to a toy she can sit and play with. Two in one! And it's just plain adorable and crafted well. I
DO wish the string was longer because it barely reached to hit the end notes but that seems to be common with every pull toy
review image
on August 3, 2016
Great simple toy...my son loves it. Not one of these multi functional toys that promises to teach your child how to speak twelve languages and play the guitar by age two. Just a simple toy. Good quality and sturdy

See 1 answered question