Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 9, 2015
My family and I are moving cross country soon, and I'll be flying alone with my almost 17 month old. 2 flights and one layover got me thinking about the best way to let him get down in the airport while keeping him close. I compared two bags, this one and BricaBy-My-Side Safety Harness Backpack, Green/Blue. Though I ordered that other one initially, I ended up ordering this one also and sending the other one back. Here is my review of them side by side:
Skip Hop Bag:
pros:
-good size. This one is bigger than the Brica, and therefore will be able to be used for more years.
-cute, bright design(s).
-the tether attaches to the outer edge of the bag rather than in closer to the body.
-stiff fabric allows the bag to hold its shape and support itself while sitting.
-the tether and ring it clips onto are both made from metal, so you don't have to worry about plastic breaking
-you adjust the length of the shoulder straps from the bottom, so no neck irritation
-shoulder straps are padded

cons:
-stiff fabric doesn't allow the bag to be rolled and stored if needed.
-small pouch on the side only holds a short, skinny sippy cup easily. Would be better to hold something small like a fruit snack, binky, etc.
-tether is short, and many suggest replacing it with an actual dog leash for more length. I will consider this idea myself.

Brica-
Pros:
-soft fabric allows this to be rolled down when not in use if needed
-perfectly sized for my 30" tall almost 17 month old.
-the pouch on the back is large enough to hold a sippy cup of any size
-the tether is a good length (though the area that expands is really insignificant so I don't factor that into the overall length when comparing this tether to the Skip Hop bag).

Cons:
-soft fabric doesn't really allow it to sit on its own or support itself, so it falls over. This could be problematic if you have a leaky sippy cup.
-the clip attaches closer to the body, rather than the outer edge of the bag.
-tether clip is made from plastic.
-the bag is small, and I think it could be too small for any child over two-ish.
-shoulder straps are not padded, and instead are just nylon straps.
-the straps don't expand much, and I had the shoulders loosened almost all the way to get a good fit on my short son.
-***My biggest issue with this bag is where the shoulder adjuster buckles are located. Instead of being at the bottom of the straps like most back packs, these are instead located at the top. Due to their placement, they rub my son's neck until it turns red. I've tried loosening and tightening the straps, but it changes nothing because of where they sit. This was the deciding factor in me wanting to send this bag back.

Ultimately, I feel like the sizing of the Skip Hop bag will allow this to be used for a longer period of time, using the tether (or leash if I replace it with a longer one) when necessary and later as a backpack. While both are good quality bags, I would definitely recommend this bag by Skip Hop over the other bag.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
266 helpful votes
267 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on March 12, 2017
This is a really great backpack. Not only is it cute, but it helps me keep my toddler near me. My son is about 23 pounds, and is 22 months. This fits him well. Also, it is large enough to pack his lunch box, his snacks, and a few toys.

Con: my only con is that I wish the leash connected at the top. I say this because if my son was to pull away and I was to hold on to it, the backpack sort of rises. I've tested this out with his turtle backpack (different company) who's leash connects at the top, and it is a better idea.

Overall, I enjoy this backpack very much. I ignore the crazy looks from people. My kid is right near me and cannot run into the street. So I am very happy with this product and will order another character or two to match with his outfits (I'm that mom lol)
6 helpful votes
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2014
I looked at several different products before deciding on this one. The ones with the fuzzy animals were cute, but we live in San Antonio and I could just imagine my poor little one's sweating back, not to mention that the fuzzy ones don't have much in the way of storage. This pack is easy to use, difficult for chubby toddler fingers to escape, and had plenty of storage for her needs - a couple of Pull-Ups, a small sippy cup, and whatever the toy of the day is at the moment. The lead is just long enough to give her a bit of freedom while keeping her close. Our first outing with it was at the zoo and we received many compliments. Though she does adore bumblebees, I also chose this design due to the bright color so that in the event she did manage to pull the lead out of my hands, she would be easier to track.
on September 16, 2017
We have 3 Skip Hop leash backpacks and 3 regular backpacks. We use the small leash backpacks for our youngest. One carries his own diapers, change of clothes, and snacks. Our other child has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts. He carries his 4 epi pens, Benadryl, and emergency information. There is also still enough room for diapers (when he needed them) and snacks.

We used our monkey backpack for a little over 4 years, every day. If we left the house this backpack was on him. It finally broke after a bit of a sticky drink got stuck on the buckles and we pulled too hard.

We purchased the allergy patch and clip from Creative Clam.
review imagereview imagereview image
on April 16, 2017
My two year old is pretty active and although she is good about holding my hand most of the times there are occasions where she refuses to. This little backpack is wonderful. Not only can I have the peace of mind that she won't run too far when she's not holding my hand, but she now carries her own snacks, water bottle, mini pack of wipes, and spare diaper (allowing me to retire the diaper bag and feel like a normal person again by carrying my purse!).

A lot of other parents have seen her wearing the pack when we wander the mall or walk to the library and have loved the idea of it. The pack itself is small but we manage to squeeze plenty into it. We use the nalgene grip-n-gulp water bottles and it fits okay in the mesh cup pouch on the outside but doesn't keep it as secure as I would like. Even if that were the case I would still latch it to the top handle with a carabiner because I've been burned by mesh cup holders before.

There are a bunch of designs to pick from, I showed her pictures of a few and she immediately picked the giraffe. She's perfectly happy to wear the giraffe and loves to buckle herself into it. It is now a necessity to bring along the giraffe whenever we leave the house.
on April 23, 2017
I got this for my son, as he is 2 and very active. I don't want him getting lost!! I like it because the backpack is big enough for a change of clothes, wipes and a few diapers, eliminateing the need for a big diaper bag!!
3 helpful votes
on September 17, 2017
This is a nice, durable backpack for a toddler-aged child. It does have a leash attached to it which is probably two feet in length. If you add another two feet for your arm that leaves the child about for feet of roaming room. We bought this to use at Disney World but we really didn't use it but maybe once. It wasn't too crowded and our kid doesn't really run away from us but it could be very handy if you have a runner. Also you can put things in the backpack and the child may think it's fun to wear, especially because they look like fun animals.
on June 27, 2014
This backpack is absolutely adorable! My 15 month old daughter loves wearing this around the house (we hide the harness leash inside the backpack when not in use). She loves being able to snap the buckles together, but she can't yet figure out how to unhook them thankfully. We bought this for an upcoming trip and since she loves to run we figured this would come in handy at the airport. The "leash" is short so depending how far you want your child to roam, a longer dog leash would do the trick. I haven't tried to stuff too much into it yet, but it's pretty roomy (for a mini backpack) so I would say a couple books (small), a sippy cup, some snacks, and a toy or two would probably fit into it.
on May 12, 2015
UPDATE This review is an update from the one we wrote last year when we had a 3 year old. When we were in crowds, airshows, sports events, carnivals she needed for part of the time to wear the backpack with the tether. Now at 4 the backpack is too small for her and its doubtful she would wear it anyway. It has its purpose, which is to keep them safe from anyone that might try to lure them away in a really busy venue,now as she has gotten older and bigger, holding her hand and watching her every minute is what we do.
3 helpful votes
on July 14, 2017
My 2 year old knows that when it's time to go, he's putting on his backpack! The leash is pretty short, but you can buy a retractable dog leash and hook it up if you want a longer range for your toddler. Plus, it is actually a little backpack and you can put baby materials in it--sippie cup, diapers, wipes, and make the little rascal carry around his/her own essentials!