Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 17, 2015
I ordered 3 straw sippy cups at the same time from Amazon to compare them all. I got this one by SKIP HOP, the THINKBABY one (just the straw bottle, not all the other training ones), and the LOLLACUP. The Skip Hop is the most affordable at around $6, and the Lollacup was most expensive at $15.

Aesthetic Design:
Skip Hop: the design is really cute and it comes in many colors and animal options. It has a strap on the side for carrying instead of handles, which to me is a negative. Inspecting it up close, this product does not feel like it will last as long as the others. The plastic and the colors seem cheaper.
ThinkBaby: the quality of the materials and finish is the best of all 3 bottles so it looks like a very high end bottle, but it only seems to come in 1 color on Amazon so not much flexibility. I love that it has handles which you can also easily remove.
Lollacup: I like this design the best because it's very adorable. However, it doesn't seem to fit into any cup holders unless you remove the handles, which is unfortunate. The bottle is not as easy to hold without its handles since it is kind of round and chunky.

Straw Design:
Skip Hop: this is a normal one piece straw. It's very generous of Skip Hop to provide an extra straw with the purchase so you can change them out when the first gets too worn.
ThinkBaby: an interesting straw design because it has a very small X-cut opening at the top. This straw seems to be a great training straw as the flow of the water or liquid will be less than the other two bottles. If your toddler bites the straw to make the opening bigger and then sucks, the water will come out faster.
LollaCup: has a weighted bottom on the straw, which is meant to help toddlers get the water at the bottom even when they tilt the cup up, however it did not seem to work perfectly and remained in the same spot even when tilted by me. I don't find this feature helpful or necessary.

Opening/Closing Mechanism:
All three bottles click into a lock to hide the straw and it is not difficult to close them. When opening them, I found the Skip Hop to be a little "sticky" to open...like rubber dragging against plastic difficult but I think a toddler can still open it. The Lollacup was the easiest and smoothest to open, and the ThinkBaby was somewhere in the middle.

Spills:
Skip Hop: when flipped upside down, dripped a steady stream of water where the straw left a small opening with the top. If shaken, will definitely spill water out.
ThinkBaby: when held upside down, no water came out at all. When shaken upside down, drops of water did come out but it was not a large amount. I was very impressed by this bottle as it was the best in the spill tests I did.
Lollacup: held upside down, drops of water did come out. When tilted at a 45degree angle, a stream of water came out. Water definitely came out if shaken but not as much as with the Skip Hop bottle.

I can't yet comment on longevity...I believe the ThinkBaby will last the longest with the Skip Hop lasting the least.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
101 people found this helpful
on September 18, 2014
I have ordered four of these items for my kids over the period of a year and am already prepared to purchase them a couple of more times.
As an experienced owner, I can tell what will happen during the life cycle of this bottle

1- Early days: You will be very happy for having bought the cutest straw bottle on the market. Skip hop is the leading producer of the most attractive child gadgets. They can be made sets starting from the fork to backpacks and kids really love the concept. I see that most kids in my son's daycare have some sort of skiphop items.

2- The straw will go off: That is the weakest link as stated my some reviewers. At some point you will notice that the straw is not in the place and at most cases you will not even be able to find it since your kid might have dropped it somewhere.

3- The colors will fade due to being frequently washed in the dishwasher. That time (after a couple of months of purchase) it will be still very functional so you may not care that much.

4- The cap that hides the pipette will be lost and pipette will stay exposed to outside which is the end of the life and there you need a new one.

This order of events happened to all my purchases. Apart from that, it may leak when turned upside down and shaked but you may complete the life cycle without experiencing this problem as well. My kids love these items and carry them everywhere we go. Therefore, I can not blame the company for not making more durable items (they survive pretty well considering the constant abuse from 2-3 years old kids).

Will keep buying as long as the below $6 price stays..
58 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
If you are actually at the point of reading reviews such as this, I'm guessing you are as annoyed as I am at how amazingly frustrating kids' liquid holders can be. Not necessarily to fault the manufacturers -- we are, after all, asking them to produce a bottle that retains a variety of liquids 100% of the time except when your baby sucks on the straw, performs said function while being resistant to being dropped and chewed and banged, and is also easy to clean. It turns out these are not easy criteria to engineer into a bottle.

Having tried many different bottles, I can say that this is our favorite go-to bottle, and we now own 4 for our 2 kids. For awhile we thought the Camelbak bottles were our favorite, but those have 2 limitations: their straw is a little more prone to slipping into the bottle and creating a complete spill of the entire bottles' contents, and they are a little too wide and get stuck in many cup holders. These Skip Hop bottles win on both of those aspects. The straws can still slip a little and leak, and I would have given 4.5 stars if possible -- but they are hands down the best bottles I've found, so I rounded up.
7 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2016
do you think the bottles from skip hop are cute and with very lovely pictures on it? I was attracted by the prints and cute looking of this bottle. This is the first purchase and bought for my nephew, that can help him transfer from nipples to bottles.
it is cute and he loves this bottle, but my sister has some complaints:
she said this bottle leaks, but not really serious leaking problem, she just think it's not good for the little one!
the prints are easy to get scratches, so it will be not as pretty soon..this is the prolem for me. but it is not expensive anyway.
i'd like to give a 3.5 stars, but without this choice..that'd difficult to make a decision..
9 people found this helpful

5 people found this helpful

5 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Petson December 27, 2016
I love Skip Hop water bottles. I use them as on the go cups for my toddler. As long as they are closed, they don't leak. They are easy to open and close. They are easy to disassemble and reassemble. They come a part in three pieces. They come with spare pieces.

All toddler cups leak and this one will leak if it gets tipped over while open or if the lid is taken off, but to me that is to be expected. I also use a little precaution when packing just to be safe, like I always pack it up right and in an outside pocket of the diaper bag, just in case the lid gets bumped open all the way. But I have never felt like I really needed to be concerned (I'm just the kind of person who packs travel shampoo in Ziploc baggies for those rare occasions when it does open in the bag and spill all over everything).

I have tried one other version, the Phillips Avent and HATED them because it was too hard to work and take a part.

The one thing I would change (and so I have on mine), I don't like the straps. I remove them (as soon as I get the cups) because I don't use them at all and I don't feel like seeing what velcro does after multiple times through a dishwasher. FYI, it is difficult to remove the plastic ring and strap because they are meant to stay on there permanently.

TIP: If you aren't picky about what color or creature is on them, shop around and there are normally a couple on amazon that are a little bit cheaper than the rest. The prices fluctuate, so the lowest price creature/color won't always be the same.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I really wanted to like these, but they just caused a mess too much. Our toddler seemed to prefer straws more than sippy cups, so we decided to try this. We bought two: the dinosaur and the unicorn. The strap is nice, and it's great that you can close the lid with the straw in it. But milk would come up the straw so often and spill everywhere. This happened once the temperature changed (air expanded and forced the liquid up). And maybe this problem happens with every bottle that has this type of straw, but we were disappointed. Also, the straw is just too short. I understand it needs to be so the lid can close, but it was hard for our toddler to get a good grip. And the adults tried sucking milk out too, and man it was hard! So these ended up in the trash within a month of purchase. We now just use the take and toss sippy cups. So cheap and never a mess.
3 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2016
I have purchased several sippy and straw cups for my 1 year old daughter. This is our current favorite. The straw is soft and has held up to her biting it. The straw is easy to remove and clean as it does not have a valve. This cup does leak when in the open position. My daughter has unfortunately decided it's fun to turn the cup upside down and shake the water out. Since I do not put milk or juice in this cup, it's not a big deal to me to have a little water on the floor. I have not noticed any leaking when in the locked position. This cup is great to take when we're at outdoor events. It fits in the cup holder of the stroller, and it's also easy for her to hold. I don't use the outside strap often, but will sometimes strap it to the outside of the diaper backpack. It's really cute. I plan to purchase another one.
4 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2016
I actually like these quite a bit, we have 4 now for all over a year, 2+ on a couple of them. I recently decided to remove the strap, it's a nice idea but I think we used it 4 times in all, mostly it's annoying and finally when each one got so nasty looking no amount of cleaning helped I just took it off. Dur moment. The straws get to a point that they just really can't be sterilized any longer, no amount of scrubbing can remove the mold in the tiny spots. They haven't fallen apart or fallen out as some poster said, I can't even see how they could as you have to insert from the inside of the lid out. One did get bit off but that's kids for you! It is gets disgustingly filthy being 3 parts, too bad it can be a solid injection molded straw rather than the design. Which is why eventually you can't clean it all completely.

But the lid... My pet peave. The underside way inside is a dishwashers nightmare. Nothing can clean it. The rubber seal gets gunky too. Eventually you will have to get a long stranded brush to get in deep, and remove the gasket often to clean it all thoroughly. I waited to long to pull it all apart one time, thinking the dishwasher and my straw cleaning brush were doing fine, then one day a long string of mold came lose from between the lid and straw. Barf!!!! So needless to say I remove all the pieces every time now. Pain in the a##. I ordered new straws and will do that until they are completely useless or break or I just cannot clean anymore because the kids do love them. They hold a good amount, are light weight, easy grip for small hands and always work. No drips when they're upright either but yeah they don't do well upside down shoved into the back of a carseat, ugh. I won't buy more but we have gotten a ton of life out of there ones we have.
2 people found this helpful