Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 17, 2015
I ordered 3 straw sippy cups at the same time from Amazon to compare them all. I got this one by SKIP HOP, the THINKBABY one (just the straw bottle, not all the other training ones), and the LOLLACUP. The Skip Hop is the most affordable at around $6, and the Lollacup was most expensive at $15.

Aesthetic Design:
Skip Hop: the design is really cute and it comes in many colors and animal options. It has a strap on the side for carrying instead of handles, which to me is a negative. Inspecting it up close, this product does not feel like it will last as long as the others. The plastic and the colors seem cheaper.
ThinkBaby: the quality of the materials and finish is the best of all 3 bottles so it looks like a very high end bottle, but it only seems to come in 1 color on Amazon so not much flexibility. I love that it has handles which you can also easily remove.
Lollacup: I like this design the best because it's very adorable. However, it doesn't seem to fit into any cup holders unless you remove the handles, which is unfortunate. The bottle is not as easy to hold without its handles since it is kind of round and chunky.

Straw Design:
Skip Hop: this is a normal one piece straw. It's very generous of Skip Hop to provide an extra straw with the purchase so you can change them out when the first gets too worn.
ThinkBaby: an interesting straw design because it has a very small X-cut opening at the top. This straw seems to be a great training straw as the flow of the water or liquid will be less than the other two bottles. If your toddler bites the straw to make the opening bigger and then sucks, the water will come out faster.
LollaCup: has a weighted bottom on the straw, which is meant to help toddlers get the water at the bottom even when they tilt the cup up, however it did not seem to work perfectly and remained in the same spot even when tilted by me. I don't find this feature helpful or necessary.

Opening/Closing Mechanism:
All three bottles click into a lock to hide the straw and it is not difficult to close them. When opening them, I found the Skip Hop to be a little "sticky" to open...like rubber dragging against plastic difficult but I think a toddler can still open it. The Lollacup was the easiest and smoothest to open, and the ThinkBaby was somewhere in the middle.

Spills:
Skip Hop: when flipped upside down, dripped a steady stream of water where the straw left a small opening with the top. If shaken, will definitely spill water out.
ThinkBaby: when held upside down, no water came out at all. When shaken upside down, drops of water did come out but it was not a large amount. I was very impressed by this bottle as it was the best in the spill tests I did.
Lollacup: held upside down, drops of water did come out. When tilted at a 45degree angle, a stream of water came out. Water definitely came out if shaken but not as much as with the Skip Hop bottle.

I can't yet comment on longevity...I believe the ThinkBaby will last the longest with the Skip Hop lasting the least.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Guitaron September 25, 2016
If you are actually at the point of reading reviews such as this, I'm guessing you are as annoyed as I am at how amazingly frustrating kids' liquid holders can be. Not necessarily to fault the manufacturers -- we are, after all, asking them to produce a bottle that retains a variety of liquids 100% of the time except when your baby sucks on the straw, performs said function while being resistant to being dropped and chewed and banged, and is also easy to clean. It turns out these are not easy criteria to engineer into a bottle.

Having tried many different bottles, I can say that this is our favorite go-to bottle, and we now own 4 for our 2 kids. For awhile we thought the Camelbak bottles were our favorite, but those have 2 limitations: their straw is a little more prone to slipping into the bottle and creating a complete spill of the entire bottles' contents, and they are a little too wide and get stuck in many cup holders. These Skip Hop bottles win on both of those aspects. The straws can still slip a little and leak, and I would have given 4.5 stars if possible -- but they are hands down the best bottles I've found, so I rounded up.
I really wanted to like these, but they just caused a mess too much. Our toddler seemed to prefer straws more than sippy cups, so we decided to try this. We bought two: the dinosaur and the unicorn. The strap is nice, and it's great that you can close the lid with the straw in it. But milk would come up the straw so often and spill everywhere. This happened once the temperature changed (air expanded and forced the liquid up). And maybe this problem happens with every bottle that has this type of straw, but we were disappointed. Also, the straw is just too short. I understand it needs to be so the lid can close, but it was hard for our toddler to get a good grip. And the adults tried sucking milk out too, and man it was hard! So these ended up in the trash within a month of purchase. We now just use the take and toss sippy cups. So cheap and never a mess.
Top Contributor: Petson December 27, 2016
I love Skip Hop water bottles. I use them as on the go cups for my toddler. As long as they are closed, they don't leak. They are easy to open and close. They are easy to disassemble and reassemble. They come a part in three pieces. They come with spare pieces.

All toddler cups leak and this one will leak if it gets tipped over while open or if the lid is taken off, but to me that is to be expected. I also use a little precaution when packing just to be safe, like I always pack it up right and in an outside pocket of the diaper bag, just in case the lid gets bumped open all the way. But I have never felt like I really needed to be concerned (I'm just the kind of person who packs travel shampoo in Ziploc baggies for those rare occasions when it does open in the bag and spill all over everything).

I have tried one other version, the Phillips Avent and HATED them because it was too hard to work and take a part.

The one thing I would change (and so I have on mine), I don't like the straps. I remove them (as soon as I get the cups) because I don't use them at all and I don't feel like seeing what velcro does after multiple times through a dishwasher. FYI, it is difficult to remove the plastic ring and strap because they are meant to stay on there permanently.

TIP: If you aren't picky about what color or creature is on them, shop around and there are normally a couple on amazon that are a little bit cheaper than the rest. The prices fluctuate, so the lowest price creature/color won't always be the same.
Top Contributor: Petson December 27, 2016

I purchased the Skip Hop cup for my two year old. He isn't fond of cups with valves which is why I was drawn to this cup.

Pros:
-no valve
-easy to clean
-comes with two straws
-strap is removable for cleaning purposes
-straw is easy to insert
-cup is super easy to assemble
-doesn't leak when laying on floor
-well made
-BPA free

Cons:
-must be washed by hand if you don't want the photo to rub off
-strap must be removed in order to be cleaned if you don't want it to look dingy
-the gasket falls out when cleaning

If you don't mind the picture rubbing off then you can wash these in the dishwasher but, be careful to take the gasket out or else it will fall out in the dishwasher. Overall, the cup works well for what it's meant to be used for. If given the chance again, I would choose another cup for all the reasons mentioned in the cons section.
review imagereview image
on November 21, 2016
These ARE not top rack safe.
My kids of kids drop (see: throw a hissy fit and launch them) these all the time they don't break. Tile, porcelain tile, hardwood, laminate, concrete, from off tables from their or just standing there from tiny stature they don't break.
I have put 3 through the dishwasher, different styles over a 4 year span, It NEVER fails, first time the kids throw them and they break. The break is all in the exact same position, on the bottom in a bell curve, from the outer dented in edge to the center stamp and back to the outer edge. Oddly enough I've washed each one of the three in a different dishwasher, but always top rack, and once with the dry setting and twice without it.

HAND WASH THIS!
on February 16, 2017
We got this for my oldest as part of her 'Big Sister' gift from the baby along with a few other things from the line. She was 18 months old when little sister came into the world and LOVES unicorns and will only drink from a straw cup. So this was PERFECT! We filled it with apple juice so when she opened it she immediately had something to drink. It was a great distraction for her at the time. And now, any time she gets the cup she says, 'Baby sister cup. Thank you sister.' It DOES leak from the straw though, so you need to be careful. My daughter likes to just set it down anywhere, mainly on it's side and if we're not paying attention, her drink spills everywhere. I will be posting a full review and demo on my YouTube Channel - TheVerticallyChallengedMomma
on March 16, 2017
Updates: after a month of use (washing mostly by hand or sometimes top rack of the dishwasher) the entire design of giraffe is gone. It peeled off 😡
The lid never shuts. Tried reaching the customer service in the 2nd week itself when the straw and the lid didn't seal properly. Haven't been able to get any help from them.
Really SkipHop? This one can be totally a $1 store product if it didn't have your brand stamp on it. Worthless. Save money and buy Thermos for a couple $ more instead.
Not very impressed. Cheap quality plastic. The straw setting is pretty bad. Takes a lot of shoving and forcing it into the cap after cleaning. The seal is bad too. Ours already doesn't flip close within 5 days of use only with water and two washes.
Cute. But not quality. Get Thermos instead.
on April 3, 2015
I bought one of these from TJ Maxx and then i saw it here and these have the velcro tags ,the one from the store didnot. but i agree with all other reviewes about the following negative things :
1. doesnt with stand drops [not made for toddlers as they claim to be]