Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Skip Hop Zoo Straw Bottle, Owl, 12-Ounce
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Color: Owl|Change

on November 17, 2015
I ordered 3 straw sippy cups at the same time from Amazon to compare them all. I got this one by SKIP HOP, the THINKBABY one (just the straw bottle, not all the other training ones), and the LOLLACUP. The Skip Hop is the most affordable at around $6, and the Lollacup was most expensive at $15.

Aesthetic Design:
Skip Hop: the design is really cute and it comes in many colors and animal options. It has a strap on the side for carrying instead of handles, which to me is a negative. Inspecting it up close, this product does not feel like it will last as long as the others. The plastic and the colors seem cheaper.
ThinkBaby: the quality of the materials and finish is the best of all 3 bottles so it looks like a very high end bottle, but it only seems to come in 1 color on Amazon so not much flexibility. I love that it has handles which you can also easily remove.
Lollacup: I like this design the best because it's very adorable. However, it doesn't seem to fit into any cup holders unless you remove the handles, which is unfortunate. The bottle is not as easy to hold without its handles since it is kind of round and chunky.

Straw Design:
Skip Hop: this is a normal one piece straw. It's very generous of Skip Hop to provide an extra straw with the purchase so you can change them out when the first gets too worn.
ThinkBaby: an interesting straw design because it has a very small X-cut opening at the top. This straw seems to be a great training straw as the flow of the water or liquid will be less than the other two bottles. If your toddler bites the straw to make the opening bigger and then sucks, the water will come out faster.
LollaCup: has a weighted bottom on the straw, which is meant to help toddlers get the water at the bottom even when they tilt the cup up, however it did not seem to work perfectly and remained in the same spot even when tilted by me. I don't find this feature helpful or necessary.

Opening/Closing Mechanism:
All three bottles click into a lock to hide the straw and it is not difficult to close them. When opening them, I found the Skip Hop to be a little "sticky" to open...like rubber dragging against plastic difficult but I think a toddler can still open it. The Lollacup was the easiest and smoothest to open, and the ThinkBaby was somewhere in the middle.

Spills:
Skip Hop: when flipped upside down, dripped a steady stream of water where the straw left a small opening with the top. If shaken, will definitely spill water out.
ThinkBaby: when held upside down, no water came out at all. When shaken upside down, drops of water did come out but it was not a large amount. I was very impressed by this bottle as it was the best in the spill tests I did.
Lollacup: held upside down, drops of water did come out. When tilted at a 45degree angle, a stream of water came out. Water definitely came out if shaken but not as much as with the Skip Hop bottle.

I can't yet comment on longevity...I believe the ThinkBaby will last the longest with the Skip Hop lasting the least.
review image review image review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 18, 2014
I have ordered four of these items for my kids over the period of a year and am already prepared to purchase them a couple of more times.
As an experienced owner, I can tell what will happen during the life cycle of this bottle

1- Early days: You will be very happy for having bought the cutest straw bottle on the market. Skip hop is the leading producer of the most attractive child gadgets. They can be made sets starting from the fork to backpacks and kids really love the concept. I see that most kids in my son's daycare have some sort of skiphop items.

2- The straw will go off: That is the weakest link as stated my some reviewers. At some point you will notice that the straw is not in the place and at most cases you will not even be able to find it since your kid might have dropped it somewhere.

3- The colors will fade due to being frequently washed in the dishwasher. That time (after a couple of months of purchase) it will be still very functional so you may not care that much.

4- The cap that hides the pipette will be lost and pipette will stay exposed to outside which is the end of the life and there you need a new one.

This order of events happened to all my purchases. Apart from that, it may leak when turned upside down and shaked but you may complete the life cycle without experiencing this problem as well. My kids love these items and carry them everywhere we go. Therefore, I can not blame the company for not making more durable items (they survive pretty well considering the constant abuse from 2-3 years old kids).

Will keep buying as long as the below $6 price stays..
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
This bottles looks good, but not for a long time. I have two Skip Hop bottles and I don't want to buy it again - cause, very poor quality for such price. I used them about few months, but they look so bad, you may think that a few years.
review image review image
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
The BPA free sticker comes off with PEANUT BUTTER! Leave it on for half an hour and then wipe off. When you're done you have an awesome, simple, easy to hold, easy to use, straw cup. Enjoy.
on May 9, 2013
My son immediately loved this cup and I had high hopes for it as it came with a replacement straw and the best part was, it didn't leak. Unfortunately, the straws just are not up to par. We've had the cup for less than one month and both straws that came with the cup have snapped off at the top. I looked on Amazon and Skip Hop to see if I could find replacement straws but unfortunately, no luck. I even contacted Skip Hop to see if I could purchase replacement straws and am very disappointed to say that I've not yet heard back from them and it has been 3 days since I contacted them through their website. Like I said in my title, the cup has great potential but the straw just falls short ...disappointing as it really is a cute cup and my son liked it a lot.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
So far, this is the best bottle we have found. And our daughter loves it too. What most people here are saying is true. It's not perfect. It does leak a little when the straw cover is open and held upside down. Those are all minor things. The biggest disappointment was when my daughter dropped it on a thin carpet when it was about half full with water, and the bottom of the bottle cracked. We have had many other bottles, and they have been dropped and thrown about, but none ever cracked. This bottle was about three months old. The straw did work perfectly for these three months though.
All in all, we will buy the same bottle as a replacement. It would be wonderful though if the manufacturer did look at all these reviews and perfected this bottle. I know, it's never going to happen, but we can always hope.
review image
on June 11, 2014
The quality seems good, the straw and valve worked well, and it was definitely cute and matched the Skip Hop bumble-bee bags we purchased. Unfortunately, it didn't withstand a drop from about 4 feet in a department store. Perhaps it's just the way it landed (pretty square on the bottom) but the bottom cracked right around the little bump (injection molding plastic remnant) at the center of the base. Luckily I was in the baby section and bought a cheap replacement which I rinsed out in the restroom and transferred the drink to before it leaked out.
on August 17, 2016
I got three giraffe products of skip hop, the giraffe bib and the backpack and both of them are really attractive and lovely. For this giraffe bottle I have to say that’s really awesome too. My boy is going to stop using the Pacifier bottle, so I got a straw one to him for such a great change. And I thought it works.
The straw works well, he loves to use this bottle and carries it all the time. They are so kind to provide an extra straw for replacement, and the whole bottle is easy to clean.
The only complaint of this bottle is that it leaks a little.
on April 15, 2015
I love skiphop and I really love the design and way this bottle works. It is cute, my son loves it and he uses it constantly. The problem I found was effectively cleaning the two piece straw, it is easy to get dirt on the inside and very hard to clean. The bottle comes with an extra straw, but we were using it within a few weeks and I do not know if I will buy another just because of that problem. That being said, if you had a very small bottle brush, you may be able to get in the straw to properly clean it, but that just seems a bit of a hassle to me.
on November 19, 2015
I got these straw cup for my 15 month old son and it is great! He learned how to suck out of a straw without me ever having to "teach" him and loves this cup. Personally, I love the cute design; comes in many colors and animal options, right sized, and the fact that the weighted end of the straw keeps the straw in the liquid. It also comes with a replacement straw which is great.

However, it's true that this is not perfect. It does leak when the straw cover is open and held upside down. The air hole is a small opening (no rubber stopper inside), so if turned upside down, the water just drip-drip-drips out. And of course, my son found it so funny that he would even shake the bottle more. We still use the bottle, mainly for just water and no juice, milk, or anything that could leave a bad smell since it's a plastic. But we have to keep an eye on our son while he uses it. Would I recommend this? Yes if you have a bigger toddler who is already understand that this is not a shaker toy.