Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 12, 2017
We been laying our 5 week old baby in this almost everyday for 15 minutes since we brought her home from the hospital. The animals are high quality, and each have some special quality that helps improve her sensory skills. Whether it's a bird with a rattle, an owl with ringing bell, or crinkling leaves on the mat itself. Everything is thoughtfully constructed, with great build quality.

The mat has helped our baby increase her neck strength and body strength, and since she was a very small preterm baby it was important to give her tummy time right away. The pillow helped support her while we worked through tummy time. Our cats also love the Activity Gym as well. I think they just like the birds though.
on October 11, 2015
My baby loves staring, batting and grasping at the dangly bits and doing tummy time on the mat -- there are a lot of cool textures, squeakers and "feelies" on the mat that I didn't appreciate at first. My preschooler enjoys pretending she's a baby in it and has already claimed the squirrel dangler as "hers." The cats both adore it and fight for the center spot whenever the baby isn't there. I love how much our baby loves it -- big sister was never interested in her older, plasticky baby gym -- and how happily she'll play while I wash dishes, cook, etc. I also love how soft it is and how relatively natural the colors and materials are. Baby gyms always seemed excessive to me -- can't you just dangle something over them another way? -- but this has actually been more than worth it. The mat itself is washable, the toys are a nice mix of batting/grasping toys (and also good for tummy time) and it's not too offensive to look at in the middle of our living room. It will be hard to explain to the cats where it went when baby outgrows it, though...
0Comment|Report abuse
I bought this after reading great reviews on it and I did a lot of research. My daughter loved this! She still plays with some of the animals at 6 months old now, but she outgrew it around 4 months when she started rolling a lot. She just ran out of space so we started putting blankets down on the floor for her instead.

This was fantastic while we needed it though!!
on March 28, 2017
I've had a few different play gyms, got this for my fourth babe. Toys are nicer quality than most but the mat itself i find to be a little rough, though I haven't tried washing it. Some of the toys jingle or rattle. I was trying to get away from some of the mats with bright lights or annoying music, but perhaps some sort of musical part would have been nice. I always buy extra links to put toys at baby's reach. Pillow nice but maybe a little high, one time baby rolled off of it and was really upset. Mirror can be removed for washing
on September 7, 2017
The mirror appears a bit distorted which I think my baby was a little freaked out by at first, he didn't like looking in it but there was no way to fix it because its just soft on the back and you cant really make it more concave or convex as needed. Also the straps on the back to attach to crib or elsewhere are really short and the Velcro isn't very long so it wont wrap around the banister of the crib and I ended up having to tie the strings in a knot instead to attach. The little animals are cute and have Velcro on the back and the baby like to bat them around when he is laying in his crib. For the price this product could be made better but it isn't all bad either.
11 comment|Report abuse
An absolute must-have!!! I have the same activity gym, still in excellent condition, after three babies and we are still going strong with it! It has been all of my children's favorite toy until shortly before walking age. It has also lasted years and that is more than I could have ever hoped for. With the way products are made these days, you're lucky to get something to last a year, let alone close to 4.5 years (and three babies later). I am also impressed that the bird still makes noise after all this time too. Overall, best baby toy buy I've ever had. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!
on May 22, 2014
My wife and I have been using this play mat for our daughter since she was just a few weeks old. It has been exciting to see her progress through all of the different activities and toys that this play mat has to offer.

We practiced some of her fine motor skills with all of the different dangling toys when she could only play on her back. The ringed bird was definitely her favorite to grab and hold on to.

We used the pillow as we were first starting out with "tummy time" to give her a little assistance as she allowed her muscles to develop. Eventually, she was able to do "tummy time" without the pillow.

Now she is at about 6 months and rolls back and forth on the mat to grab some of the other dangling toys, She is also starting to crawl just a little bit as she tries to reach for some of the more "distant" toys relative to her location on the mat.

This has been a great purchase for us. The activities have really been perfect as she progresses through her stages of development. I would highly recommend this play mat!
on August 5, 2011
Yes, I know this is an expensive mat compared to others on the market- but IT IS WORTH IT! I was compelled to purchase this mat first by the sheer cuteness of the owl and birds (as that was our nursery theme). I had purchased a set of soft baby rattles by Skip Hop in the past so I knew the product would be high quality. This activity mat did not disappoint. First, the quality is great- I've washed the mat and several of the toys 4+ times and they haven't faded or unraveled or shown any wear. My son is now 4 months and has been using the mat since 1 month of age. At 1 month he liked looking up at the owl because of the high contrast of the eyes and he enjoyed looking at the cross bars of the mat itself. At 2 months he "discovered" the joy of the Bird with the rattle tummy. He like her sound when he batted at her. And he smiled at the sound of the owl which is a lovely bell rattle sound. He also started exploring the textured leaves on the mat during tummy time and stared for long periods of time at the high contrast patterned leaves on the mat. At 3 months he LOVED the discovery of the crinkly wings to many of the birds and leaves and the sweet electronic song of the green bird with the teething ring. At 4 months he now is in love with the smooth wood teething ring of the singing bird. He takes that teether wherever he goes! He also is obsessed with the texture of things and cannot get enough of touching the different textured leaves and quilting of the mat itself. Not to mention he now loves to look at himself in the tree mirror and the apple mirror.

As a parent what do I like about the mat? It is the most multipurpose toy that we have come across. What a great financial investment! The mat's 5 toys can be positioned in multiple locations on the cross bars as well as the perimeter of the mat which means I can easily move his favorite toy to be within his reach. He uses the mat equally on his back and on his tummy and first rolled over while trying to reach one of the birds that I had positioned on the edge of the mat. The tummy pillow also was very helpful in easing him into tummy time. I also take the toys off and attach them to the stroller or take them with us in his car seat. Plus the toys sell separately for $10 a piece, so that's $50 worth of toys that come with the mat! I love that everything in the mat is soft so I don't have to worry about hitting my son's head when placing him on the mat or removing him. He also can't get hurt when batting at the toys with his hands of feet- nothing is hard or plastic. One of my favorite aspects is that the rattles are pleasant sounding and the one electronic sound is very mellow and lovely- not harsh or shrill like most toys. The mat travels with us wherever we go- I fold it in half and put it back in the sturdy plastic carrying case it came in to travel. And now that he's teething and drooling and chewing on everything I love that I can machine wash the mat and several of the toys- the electronic bird is surface wash only.

I took off 1 star because the mat is a little thin. If you use it on a hard surface I suggest putting a towel underneath for extra cushioning. I would have given it 4 1/2 stars if Amazon allowed half stars. If you are a thrifty parent like me, put your money towards this one high quality, multipurpose activity mat and skip the cheap, plastic, electronic toys that will just give you a headache and break with a few uses!
0Comment|Report abuse
Love this! My husband likes to spend time, nightly, with our newborn and this mat - mainly encouraging tummy time (or son has already rolled from tummy to back multiple times at just three weeks old!), but also to get our son to focus on the dangling toys. It's a very cute, quality item (like all Skip Hop items are - we own a lot), and definitely recommended.
on December 14, 2013
I bought this for my daughter as a present; she is just shy of five months, and she seems to have a blast. The animals are colorful and generally in her reach. She enjoyed holding the ring on the bird, and batting at the other animals.

There are a couple leaves that crinkle, which she went for right away. The mat has a few different textures, which are nice for her to feel around for.

The mirror in the mat was also fun for her. She kept staring during "tummy time" at the mirror.

I almost bought a gym with music, lights, and sounds, but I am glad I opted for this instead. I feel I would have been driven to distraction, as would my daughter. I think it depends on the personalities of the kid and parents, though, as to what is the right level of stimulation.

I rated the toy highly, as I also get the impression that the toy will grow with her: the squeaking flower in the mat seems like it would require concentration to find, and the mirror hanging in the apple will be nice when she is working on sitting.

Bottom line: there are lots of things for baby to do on this playmat, without being overstimulating/overwhelming.
5 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.