Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 29, 2015
These are totally adorable and sturdy, but the stars are for aesthetics, not function. Even if our toddler were a lot bigger, the paddle-like handles of this fork and spoon would make them challenging to grip. I don't find them comfortable to hold and I am an average sized 5"4 grown-up person. They need to be longer, skinner and probably covered in a different material. But then of course there would be no place for that cute owl - right? So we take out the owl fork and spoon every morning, admire them, and often end up replacing them with a much less glamorous piece of cutlery.
9 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2013
We had been using the OXO Tot Fork and Spoon Set, Aquawith no problems when I came across this Skip Hop ZOOtensils set and wanted it because of the very cute creatures brightly printed on the handles. I imagined having a nice discussion with my child about the animals at meal time and particularly loved the owl, dog and bee.

When they arrived I thought they looked great. The images are bright, crisp and clear. The set is sturdy and nice looking.

What I do not like about the Skip Hop product compared to the OXO, was that the Skip Hop utensils are relatively flat. The flat handle design makes for an unsatisfying feel for use in the hand (my hand), but worse, the flat surface of the tool for eating isn't functional enough in many cases. While the fork is OK for stabbing foods, the flat surface of the fork doesn't help keep certain foods on the fork that just won't stay on a flat surface (peas, noodles, chicken, etc.). Baby has to balance the food very well to get it into the mouth. The spoon has the same problem; the bowl of the utensil isn't deep enough to hold a reasonable amount of runny foods like soup or purees that you would like to have in a single mouthful. The spoon bowl is also pretty wide nearly to the point of being round.

Another difference between the two utensil brands is that the Skip Hop untensils are a little wider both in the handle and the eating tool. The OXO utensils are a little narrower than wider in the handle and tool, a more similar design to an adult utensil set but in baby size. The wide mouth on the spoon bowl was just a touch large but manageable for our 15 month old. The wide handle on the Skip Hop also isn't the best for our toddler, but the grips around the edges might have added funtionality to an otherwise visually appealing design. Specifically, the Skip Hop utensil handle width is 1-1/4" wide at the widest point, and 10 mm deep. The Skip Hop spoon bowl is just short of 1-1/2" wide. The OXO utensil handles are 3/4" wide at the widest point. The depth of the handle tapers, and is 12 mm deep at the largest end at the tip of the handle. The OXO bowl is 1-1/4" wide.

There is a third bothersome issue. We used the new Skip Hop Owl set daily for less than a month when the design began to wear off. We have only used these for eating at mealtime, and have only hand washed them with Ivory soap and warm water. The color and design is significanlty removed from the surface if the handle which makes it unattractive for our use and not very nice to hand down to another family or to donate- they look beat up. Forget about consigning the utensils in this condition. We used only one set of three purchased and will return the other two.

We went back to the OXO brand that were given to us from another family and bought a few more. What we like about them is that they have a satisfying hand; the handles are curved and have a slightly rubbery kind of tactile surface and feel which makes them easy and nice to handle. The weight is a little heavier and feels right; the utensil is actually easier to manipulate with a proper weight rather than the lighter Skip Hop product. The deal maker between the two though is the deeper bowl areas on the spoon and fork on the OXO brand utensils which helps our baby keep more on the tool and therefore more into the mouth and a better eating experience. The fork and spoon are curved just like adult utensils are, and the spoon is more narrow than it is wide.

I'd like to add that the OXO brand given to us used by another family for a couple of years still looks good enough to use and pass on to another baby.
5 people found this helpful
on June 9, 2014
This was a purchase for my 15 months old daughter. We bought them in combination with the lunch bag and the water bottle and I am happy about all so far.

I prefer steel utensils over any other stuff (slicone, bpa free plastic etc.). They are durable, safe and do not leak chemicals etc. It does not say what grade steel is used in these particular ones but, I guess it is either 18:10 or 18:8 since lower grade steel would darken or bend easily while these have done neither. They are dishwasher safe too.

The plastic parts are easy to grasp for a toddler and the lady bug pictures are lovely, besides, the steel and plastic bits are well attached (no loosening so far)

However you should expect some wear-tear scratches and fading in the colorful bits (not after the first wash like some other reviewers complained but after a few months of daily use) which is no big deal for me.

Finally the fork ends are a little rounded so they do not harm the kid easily.

Over all, I am happy with the purchase. They are ergonomic, practical and not very expensive. They have helped my kid a lot in her way of gaining independence in feeding herself. I am sure they will last
2 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2018
I bought this fork and spoon to send to school with my daughter. I like that it matches her lunch box, so the teachers know it is hers. It is the perfect size for her little hands and the spoon is big enough to get a good mouthful, but not end up all over her face. They are both good quality and durable. I would definitely recommend.
on February 9, 2017
Well, it's a pair of utensils sized appropriately for a two year old. The owls are a hit if your child is into owls. They are pretty sturdy, as evinced by the fact that my little one has managed to damn near dent my dining room table beating on it with both the fork and the spoon. The spoon works very well when pressed into service as a table catapult, capable of achieving surprising distances with both rice AND peas.
on December 23, 2015
I got these skip hop utensils for my son (<2 years old) and they are very nice, sturdy and seem to be made of high quality materials. The only issue I have is that they are a little difficult to hold on to for my son, and the spoon portion is much too big. Because of the size of the spoon, and the fact that it's pretty flat with not much of a scoop to it, most of the food my son manages to gather in it ends up on the sides of his mouth or on his clothes and the floor. Good quality but I'd recommend finding a smaller size spoon with a little more depth.
3 people found this helpful
on September 7, 2016
I bought this utensil set for my young son as he is starting to feed himself. The utensils are cute and easy to hold. I especially like that the part he eats off of is stainless steel rather than plastic, as chemicals from plastic can be ingested through dishwasher use and warm foods. The set appears to be durable to where we should be able to use it with any other children that come our way in the years ahead. I definitely recommend it! I do reserve the right to modify this review at any given time if during the use of the product the quality or usability changes.
on May 17, 2018
This utensil set is so cute for our 20 month old!. The handles are chunky for a good grip. They are also short, which makes successfully directing the food into his mouth easier. He loves to look at the owls and enjoys using this cute set! It's a nice transition to metal from plastic utensils. They have washed well in the dishwasher. Would recommend.
on March 5, 2017
These stencils are great for kids that need help in developing their grip and fine motor skills. The wide grips makes it very easy for the kids to hold and manipulate. They are also very well maid. I had mine for some time. The survived the abuse of my first kid and now my second one is using them.
on February 16, 2017
This set is very cute but a little cumbersome. They are great for a baby/toddler learning how to eat with utensils. The tines on the fork are too large to actually pick anything up. My 20 month old gets frustrated and just uses her hands instead most times. The size and shape of the handle is perfect for little hands though! I will be doing a full review on my YouTube channel, TheVerticallyChallengedMomma