Top critical review
If you factor in it's frequently a good bit cheaper than alternatives would probably be 4
on July 12, 2017
Coming from an old school controller this is a huge step up. That being said, have a bunch of issues with it compared to what I thought it would be. The 3 stars is based on the product alone. If you factor in it's frequently a good bit cheaper than alternatives would probably be 4. If I bought at MSRP it would be 2.
- Wiring was a pain. Trying to get all the wires through the bottom hole was really tight. Also hard to get the wires seated tightly.
- Would not connect to my extender even though all my other devices have no issue. Working ok direct to my router.
- Web portal very flaky and frequently tells me it can't connect even though I can open the app at the same time and it works. App doesn't have all the options the portal does (ie grass type). Guidance on choosing settings could be better too.
- Can't handle my restriction type of twice a week where the unit can choose the days.
- Manual interaction works but very slow and clunky. Would only use it as a last resort.
- feature updates to app or portal are slow to non existent. Kind of worried they are not doing well.
- app push alerts don't work at all. IFTTT alerts don't seem to work either. Email alerts didn't work until about 2 weeks ago when they just started working.
On the plus side the watering forecast is easy to read as is the watering history. It also appears to be doing a pretty good job of setting and following a smart schedule.