Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 9, 2012
To My Detractors:

To Badanimal:

Do people not comprehend what they read any more? I said that I WAS TOLD that I have an ALMOST perfect ear, NOT that I have perfect pitch.

Regardless of whatever artist takes your fancy, hearing (in some cases, excessive) in/exhalations does not make for a good song or style. But diverse people have diverse tastes, so if that's your thing, good for you. As for me, there are plenty of different types of music/artists that I enjoy listening to that don't in/exhale almost every verse, including artists who were singing long before either you or I was born and who are considered some of the greats in music. I also enjoy listening to plenty of contemporary 'new' artists who also can't be heard to in/exhale and are also considered great artists.

...."it's schooled it's all about technique and sounding just so.....

.... "until I heard it done later by pop artists such as Tori Amos who does this a lot and which basically helped create her unique style...."

While some styles may be ok for some artists, there are also quite a few songs that don't translate well when performed by other artists. Can you imagine hearing "Skyfall" sung by a Rap artist? Also, however well of a songwriter someone may be, some of them cannot/should not sing what they write. (See last paragraph of part of AP article below.

Incidentally, I'm not just talking about Adele here, but a singer could be the best singer in the world and still miss on some songs. Look at the many professional, very popular, artists who completely flub "The Star-Spangled Banner."

I didn't say having a twang disqualified her from singing certain songs. I merely meant that the slight twang I heard in the recording of Skyfall that I heard disrupted the flow of the singing and makes one think of country/western music, not the style of music this was going for, particularly as it's for a James Bond movie that has nothing about country music in it.

Perhaps this will help explain the 'twang:'

From an article about Adele

2011–13: 21 and worldwide recognition

Adele released her second studio album, 21, on 24 January 2011 in the UK and 22 February in the US. She said that the album was inspired by the breakup with her former partner. The album's sound is described as classic and contemporary country and roots music. The change in sound from her first album was the result of her bus driver playing contemporary music from Nashville when she was touring the American South, and the title reflected the growth she had experienced in the prior two years

However, having said the above, below is something I recently found that makes me believe that perhaps some, if not all, of the recordings I heard may not have been Adele after all.

May 31, 2013 from an Associated Press article:
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- There are about 600 versions of Adele's Oscar-winning song "Skyfall" on the Spotify subscription music service. Not one of them features Adele.
Adele's label, XL Recordings, keeps her music off of all-you-can-listen subscription plans until download sales peter out. In the meantime, copycat artists fill the void, racking up royalty revenue, often before customers realize they've been listening to someone else.

......... The services allow users to store songs on their devices as long as they keep paying But because such a vast selection can be stored online in the so-called cloud, when listeners search for popular songs, they often find oddball renditions.

.............Some songs are even more famous than the originals. Which do you think of first, Aretha Franklin's soaring 1967 version of "Respect," or Otis Redding's original from two years earlier? How about Jimi Hendrix's funky 1968 rendition of "All Along the Watchtower"? Does anyone even remember that Bob Dylan wrote and sang it in a release six months before?

I am inserting my edit of my previous review (see below) here so anyone reading this won't miss it. Since I posted my original reivew I have since read that Adele suffered some type of injury/damages to her vocal chords which might explain the quality in her voice that I heard in all the samples I listened to before submitting my review. If that is the case, can someone suggest a site I can go to where I can hear her voice before the damage/injury? Thank you.

--------------- Original Review ------------------
I love the music and the lyrics are superb, not only good for this movie, but perfect for any 'end of civilization' scenario, however the singer, dare I say it, stinks. This would have been a much better piece if it were sung by someone else, almost anyone else. Although I have a nice speaking voice, I don't have a very good singing voice, but have been told by numerous people (people who would know) that I do have an almost perfect ear. Therefore, perhaps I'm hearing nuances that others don't on this recording, but I cannot count the sounds Adele's putting out as good singing.

I'd never heard Adele sing before hearing this recording of Skyfall, so in the interests of doing her justice, before writing this review I listened closely to other recordings made by her and she has the same type of sound (whine/twang) in almost all of them. There are certain types of lyrics/pitches her voice just cannot carry or do justice to. Do the same as I did and, if you're being completely honest and/or aren't tone deaf, you'll notice it for yourself.

I suppose the twang is OK if county western were the only music she sang, but not in the majority of the pieces of hers I've researched and definitely not in this one. Not only that but in this piece specifically, you can hear every breath she takes. IMHO, one of the marks of an excellent singer is NOT being able to hear them taking a breath.

While there are some songs practically anyone can sing adequately, there are others that need to be matched with just the right singer. Unfortunately in this case, Adele is not it. While I can give the music and lyrics 5 stars, I have to give Adele less than zero.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2012
this is insane, can't believe people listen that kind of trash. i stopped it after 30sec of listening. How lucky Adele is but i just listened the worst song with my own ears. people should know she is just lucky.
33 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
It would be difficult for me to find something that I DON'T love about the latest Bond movie, "Skyfall." But one of the things I loved best about it was Adele's theme song, also called "Skyfall." I'm not surprised that this song ended up winning an Academy Award for "Best Original Song" -- it's a majestic, soaring song that is tied tightly into the plot of the movie, but can also be appreciated on its own, as a love song.

It begins with a blare of brass and a gentle ripple of piano. "This is the end/Hold your breath and count to ten/Feel the earth move and then/Hear my heart burst again," Adele croons softly, sounding resigned whatever is happening. But strings begin to creep into the song, and by the chorus we're in full orchestral mode laced with that hard-edged Bond sound.

Actually, it sounds less like a Bond song, and more like a sort of apocalyptic hymn as she sings, "Let the sky fall, when it crumbles/We will stand tall/And face it all together!" The song uncoils after that like a sonic rose, unfolding new layers of dark horns, violins and a soaring winged finale that leaves your heart pounding.

"Skyfall" is a song that is both simple and complex -- it's got a seventy-seven person orchestra playing under J. A. C. Redford, and it has countless layers and harmonies sweeping together. The James Bond theme is woven in as well, but it feels natural and not like it was prodded in to make it more recognizably a Bond song -- it has its own sound and rhythm.

Instead of a pop song, it's a deep, rich ballad that starts off on a funereal, almost defeated note, only to blossom into fiery, powerful determination by the end. And the lyrics are tightly tied to the actual plot of the movie "Skyfall" -- just look at lines like "Skyfall is where we start," "I've drowned and dreamt this moment" and "we will stand tall/and face it all together/at Skyfall."

But the lyrics and imagery are also vague enough that it can be appreciated as a powerful love ballad in its own right, about triumphing over the odds with the help of one who loves you ("I know I'd never be me without the security/Are your loving arms keeping me from harm/Put your hand in my hand and we'll stand"). And Adele is... well, Adele. Her voice is rich, soulful and full of soaring emotion, and she sounds like she put all her heart and soul into this song.

"Skyfall" is a fitting song for the brilliant new Bond movie, in just about every way -- it's a bittersweet, rich, haunting experience that demands to be heard again and again. And it just made a new fan of Adele.
on February 9, 2016
I love you Adele... I hope I could see you in Seattle but the ticketbots already got the tickets and are selling it at a ridiculous price... sadly... I'll just say "Hello" from the other side LOLs... so sorry for that...
on July 16, 2016
I think this song is great! It tells the mood and foreshadowing of the Skyfall James Bond film and Adele's soulful singing gives it credence.
on December 9, 2016
used is ok. $15- for one song? Adele...get ahold of yourself.
on June 6, 2017
Love it
on December 23, 2015
It's Adele! Beautiful!
on January 29, 2015
Love this song! ADELE Make an ANOTHER Album NOW ASAP!!!
on June 19, 2013
I was not aware when I bought this that it was only one track and only one song. It is the song for the movie and only that. I might try to purchase other Adele CDs in the future.