Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 2, 2016
My thoughts at 25%:
How is it that I'm only at the 25% mark and I've already fallen in love AND had my heart broken? I love Lake and Will, I already love Kel and Caulder, and I like Eddie too. Bold and brazen, that one, but I'm curious about the heart tattoos ...

My thoughts at 50%:
I can't put this book down. It's past midnight and I have to be up at five. My eyes are so tired I can't see and everything is a blur. But I can't put this book down.

My thoughts at 75%:
"So you keep your ocean, I'll take the Lake." I don't know if I'm delirious from exhaustion (it's 1:45am) or if Colleen Hoover some kind of witch doctor ... But I can't stop crying. The mom and the balloons and the slam ... It's just ... I can't. I just can't.

My thoughts at 100%:
It's 2:30 in the morning and I have to get up at five. I have no idea how I'm going to function tomorrow, when I'm supposed to be editing my 8th book for the final time before publication on Tuesday. I have no idea how I'm going to be productive and be a calm and patient mother when I'll be running on less three hours of sleep. And I have no idea how long it's going to take me to recover from this book ... But I bet it's gonna be a while. Five stars. If I could, I'd give it fifty.

(review also posted at quarterlybookreview.blogspot.com)
on August 6, 2016
After the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mom and her brother. After moving from Texas to Michigan, she tries to appear resilient on the outside, but on the inside, she is losing hope. Until she meets her attractive new neighbor, 21-year-old Will Copper, who has an intriguing passion for slam poetry and shares in Layken's sense of humor. Within days of meeting, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after their intense first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful, as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the secret that is keeping them apart.

I have had this book for a while, but just hasn't gotten around to reading it. I'm not sure why, because I have never read a book by Colleen Hoover that I didn't love. So after finishing It Ends With Us and having a Colleen Hoover book hangover, I figured I would start on this book, the first in the series. And of course, I really enjoyed it. Once again, it wasn't what I expected at all and it always amazes me how the author can make you laugh out loud on one page and cry on the next. This book is well written and the characters are quite complex. I felt that we got to know Layken really well, along with her brother Kel. We also get to know Will and his younger brother Caulder and their backstory as well. We also get to watch as Layken makes her first best friend Eddie, after not really having time for these types of relationships in Texas. Eddie herself is a very vibrant, positive and unique character. There is so much that the synopsis leaves out in regards to both of their families and situations. Every time I read a book by Hoover, there's always that point where there is a plot twist or the revelation of a secret and it usually comes as a surprise to me. This book was no different.

I also liked that this book dealt with many different issues from love, friendships and relationships to family dynamics, grief and loss. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and I enjoyed the fact that Layken does not talk or act like your typical 18-year-old high school senior; she seems to know what is and isn't important in life. Just like all of the author's books, I highly recommend you read this one. I immediately purchased the 2nd book in the series, Point of Retreat upon finishing Slammed. Thank goodness for Kindles; I prefer physical books and read those most of the time, but I will say an e-reader is convenient when you finish the 1st book in a series at 10pm and immediately want to start the 2nd! Happy reading!
on November 4, 2017
OMG Layken and Will break my heart over and over in this book. I don't even know where to begin . While I didn't ugly cry like I have on the rest of Colleen Hoover's book, it still made me cry. Layken and her family are moved to Michigan after the death of her father . She doesn't understand why . She meets her neighbor Will a young attractive man who Layken fells a connection with . Little do they know their is a big road block about to be thrown up for them .
There were so many quotes in this book that made me think of things I haven't thought about before.
"Death. The only thing inevitable in Life" just wow that one brought me chills when I read it. "Don't Take life too seriously . Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it" one of my favorite.
God I loved this book. moving on to Point of Retreat now.
on June 30, 2017
This book has been on my list of "reads" for at least a year. I'm not sure what took my so long to get it but once I did...I didn't put it down. The story pulled me in immediately. The characters, the writing, the story, I loved it. I'll be honest, I'm not always super receptive to a love at first sight story. I usually roll my eyes and think "here we go again" but Will and Lake's first encounter was different. It felt real. I could genuinely sense the connection through the pages. And after Wills slam performance about the ocean, fuhgeddaboudit! After all the hurt and loss these two have endured, I'm so happy they found each other. This book had me in tears more than once and I'd definitely recommend it. Just don't wait a whole year to get started 😉
on January 2, 2017
I will never understand how someone can take 26 letters of the alphabet and turn them into words that evoke so much feeling and emotion. Not only did Colleen Hoover write a novel that was just an amazing read from start to finish, but she also wrote the poetry inside the novel that in and of itself was so emotional.

When Lake and her mother and brother move across the street from Will and his brother, it was the lowest point in Lake's life. Little did she know how much worse it would get, but she has the perfect example in how to handle it through Will.

Will is the most selfless character I've ever read and I fell in love with him from the very first meeting. This was a book I started and finished in a day because I couldn't put it down. This was the 15th book I've read by Colleen Hoover and I have cried in every one. She's such an amazingly talented author and I'm just in awe of her abilities.
on June 13, 2017
This book was/is amazing! I have major book hangover, lol. OMG, the Will & Layken insta-love kept me on an emotional rollercoaster. They are a couple that you cheer for during the entire book. Will & Lake both endured major upheavals in their lives that had me in tears. When they meet each other, they both begin to heal a bit until circumstances break them apart and they are tortured emotionally due to the inability to be together. It certainly didn't help that they were neighbors. I grieved right along with this couple and couldn't put this book down. Colleen Hoover is an amazing author. She puts together stories that draw you in and make you feel as if you are a character in the story. She is definitely one of my favorite authors. This is truly a 5 star book!
on March 4, 2018
I say that about every Colleen Hoover book, by the way. I can't help it. Colleen just has a way with words. She has the amazing ability to pull you into a story, make you fall in love with the characters, break your heart and then piece it back together.
Eighteen-year-old Layken, her younger brother Kel and her mom move from Texas to Michigan after the unexpected death of her father. She isn't happy about being there.
After twenty-one-year-old Will's parents are killed, he is left to raise his younger brother.He's had to make a lot of sacrifices but he's making it work.
There's an instant connection between Lake and Will. Unfortunately, shortly after their first date they are hit with a shocking revelation and any relationship they thought they were starting is dead in the water.
This isn't just a story of heartbreak. It is one about healing, and friendships.... and even the importance of communication. I absolutely loved this book!
on July 5, 2016
I am a huge fan of Colleen Hoover's writing and have loved what I've read so far. So, why the heck did it take me so long to read her first published work? I honestly have no idea. At first I thought it was because it was more YA, but she does it so well.
Will and Lake/Layken connect right from the get go, but there is a twist in their relationship. One I didn't see coming and one that kind of broke my heart. Actually, both of their characters and their families, their pasts, their future, really tugged at my heart strings. But I think that's what Colleen does best. She connects to us by emotions and by the realness and the flaws of the characters. They aren't perfect, nor are they trying to be. They just live and live for themselves. They are REAL! They experience pain, heartache, love, disasters, etc and it shows how much that affects their decision making.
"Question everything, Your love, your religion, your passions. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers."
I can't wait to read the next books in this series and to keep reading Colleen's books. She pushes herself and her readers each and every time.
on January 31, 2017
I don't know how Colleen Hoover does it but she can make me love a book even when I hate the insta-love stories. I absolutely fell in love with Will and Lake's relationship even though it moved extremely fast. And there was times that I wanted to punch Lake in the face for the way she was acting or should I say screaming. But then, I had to remind myself that she actually was only 18 and still in high school. So even though she was pretty mature at some points, she still is in high school. God knows, and my parents sure know, I was that way in high school.

That's another point - I am not into the high school age type books anymore - especially since I am nearing thirty - but somehow Colleen Hoover can make me care about a high school girl. And of course, I read this book because I am big fan of Colleen Hoover and still wanted to read something she wrote and it did not disappoint. I started this book late last night and I finished when I got home from work, so a total of maybe 4.5 hours to took me to read. Colleen Hoover's books are just soul consuming. It's all you want to do when you start one of her books.

This book made me mad and made me cry. I definitely am excited to read Point of Retreat and see how the story unfolds some more.
on June 29, 2015
I've become a huge Colleen Hoover fan over a short period of time, so I feel as if I'm not starting to get choosy between which books I love, love a lot, and love a lot lot lot (I just made that up). Knowing this was Hoover's debut novel, I was expecting to be disappointed in comparison to novels like Ugly Love or Hopeless. Nope. I was most definitely not disappointed. In fact, I found myself devouring this entire book in a day because I couldn't pull myself away. That's what Hoover does. She grips you by the collar and lifts you to a place you just don't want to come down from.

Slammed was one I did actually struggle with in the beginning though, which I hate admitting. I was having a hard time identifying with Layken and the connection she felt with Will, and vice versa, felt a little forced. I love that I knew nothing about where this story was going though, because I really did get sucked into this world and the love that blossomed between them.

This book, like all other CoHo books urged me to feel . . . everything. It sent me into fits of giggles, had me swooning, and made me cry. I am such a fan.