Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 100 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 203 reviews
on July 25, 2017
This was probably the first Vonnegut book I read, so many years ago. It was fun to read it again. Categorized as Science Fiction, it’s the bizarre, absurd and surreal autobiography of Dr. Wilbur Daffodil-11 Swain, the last President of the United States. I still love it, and enjoyed the ride.
on April 9, 2013
I am a veteran teacher and became interested in Kurt Vonnegut's writings from our Nevada English text for freshmen students. I am not a sci fi reader at all but Kurt Vonnegut writes it and makes you think. The freshmen students got really interested in another of Vonnegut's short stories about a young man named Harrison Burgeron. So, I downloaded another Vonnegut tale that makes you think. This one is of particular interest because it is toted as and corroborrated by Voneugut's own words as rather autobiograpical. It is sad that he lost his sister and it is disconcerting that he distorted the relationship (I hope) in his fictional version of the main characters in his tale. I would not have students read this due to the incestual insinuations of the brother and sister "monsters" in Slapstick. That and the sexual "slapstick" insinuations were the downsides for me.

On the upside: this writing really makes you think about family and the lower quality of our neighborly relationships today. Vonnegut is no longer with us, yet he knew how sordid our family and social relationships would become. This is the prophetic writing that originally attracted us in English class. In this piece of work, Vonnegut's main character creates and initiates the idea of government ordained families. This works and fills a social void. It makes you think that you better nurture and keep the families you have because all beings need the support of family. Powerful and memorable like all the Vonnegut works I have read!
on September 21, 2014
One of my all time favorites; there is no other book like Slapstick. This is what happens when someone is brave enough to write exactly what they imagine, without any nods at all to convention or propriety. Kurt Vonnegut is so funny and so seemingly random, here, as he lets us in on what his own experience of life has always been. Memories, relationships and society at large are seen here in a funhouse mirror both exactly as they are, and also as something completely different. It's the most optimistic dystopia, with him casting judgement on everyone in a completely accepting way.
on August 5, 2017
Another great satire by Vonnegut. Story based very loosely on his life and relationship with his sister.
on October 31, 2013
Even if it's not his best work, it's still Vonnegut and it's still great. I've always loved this author...and so I like this book. I'm not sure how to rate this book from the mind of someone who's never read him before because I've been reading Vonnegut for the last 30+ years and have loved everything. For a Vonnegut newbie I guess I would recommend not starting with this book. Start with Cat's Cradle. If you think the idea of Ice 9 is totally wild, read all of his books. If you think the concept of Ice 9 is the dumbest thing you've ever read... put the book down...walk away...and never look back. :)
on August 24, 2017
One of my favorite books, ever. Maybe, it was my early exposure to Laurel & Hardy. Maybe it's because life is hard to get through. This book just speaks to me. Glad I can read it again.
on January 22, 2011
I enjoyed the process of reading this story. That is to say, when I finished the book, I was disappointed with the complete story, but I enjoyed the journey. Does that make sense? Vonnegut himself rated Slapstick a 'D' among his works (giving Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse 5 an A+ each), but as this was my first Vonnegut book (recommended to me by a friend that had passed away) I still felt compelled to read more of his stories. The best part of this book, in my opinion, was the pre-story about how he came to write this book. Kurt Vonnegut opens up and lets the reader into his personal life-describing the moment when he lost his sister and brother-in-law within a week of each other, and taking their 3 children into his house. The wackiest part is the relationship between Dr. Swain and his sister Eliza. I didn't get it, but then again I'm not a twin. Hi ho.
on June 8, 2014
I've read this book, like most Vonnegut books, several times and it never gets old. Heaven as a badly run turkey farm - well, that sounds about right to me. Kurt is up in Heaven now, so maybe Heaven is a little Better for it.
on July 13, 2015
This is one my favorite Vonnegut books...sometimes he can be hit or miss, but this book is definitely super-interesting, funny, and a hyper-fast read. I ordered this book to read it again, and I was done within 24 hours. I then gave it to my girlfriend, who had never read it, and she finished it in an afternoon. Great book! Highly recommended if you've ever enjoyed anything by Vonnegut.
on September 30, 2016
An amazing book. I highly recommend it for someone that likes a book they need to think about as they read.