Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 1, 2014
The entire Dr. Siri series is quite well written. Almost every book has a very good story line. The characters are very well developed and the mysteries are well thought out and fun to read.

Partly because these series take place in an Eastern country (Laos) there is that whole supernatural element to them. The main character (Dr. Siri) hosts a thousand year old Shaman in his body. Now, if you can't get over having to accept that, you should definitely skip reading these books because that part is central to all of them. I thought that it might bother me but the way the author introduces this fact and weaves it into the story, makes you kind of just go with it. I now find that it doesn't bother me at all and in fact, adds to the story.

Ironically, what's more unbelievable for me is that a 73 year old can do all the things Dr. Siri does, suffer such horrible injuries and just keep going. Having parents in that age range, it seems to me very unlikely that people of that age could bounce back so quickly from all the various injuries Dr. Siri sustains.

Be that as it may, these books are all definitely worth reading. Not only are they great stories, they have taught me so much about Laos, it's culture and its history, something I knew absolutely nothing about. I read some reviews saying that the books are propaganda or re-writing of history. My thought is that you read historical fiction to get a feel for the country, culture, habits, etc., and if you want an accurate history, you read a few historical books and make up your own mind. This author's portrayal of the US-Laos conflict is not God's word and I don't think he expects it to be!

Overall, I recommend this entire series.
on May 24, 2017
This was definitely one of the best in a great series. Madame Daeng adds a really enjoyable character that allows Dr. Siri to engage in some very amusing conversations. Her practical joke with the snakes had me laughing out loud. The story was interesting with no dull spots. Terrific.
on October 30, 2015
These murder mysteries are set in Laos in the 1970s. Dr. Siri Paiboun is the elderly Laotian national coroner (actually the country's only coroner), working to solve the mystery of a crash of an Air American helicopter. There's plenty of sardonic humor at the expense of both the glorious Laotian people's revolution and the Americans. How, wonders Dr. Siri, can the Americans pressure Laos to come up with the wreckage of a crashed American helicopter, when the Americans have always denied going into Laos in the first place. There's plenty of skullduggery, war profiteering, and political posturing, mostly set in a dreary Communist hotel (haven't been to Laos, but it reminded me of one in Brno) in the middle of a mine field.
on November 21, 2016
This is the eighth, I believe, in a series I am very fond of. It is (for me) the poorest of the sequence. The plot revolves around the (interminable) trekking around searching for the wreckage of an MIA helicopter pilot. The usual interactions among the cast of characters, charming in most of the series, is all but negligible in this one. I got half way through it and gave up on all the walking and on caring about the mildly interesting corpse of one of the trekkers !!
on July 19, 2017
Dr.Siri and his cohorts are just very entertaining characters. The plot is secondary to their idiosyncrasies and wit, which wrap engagingly around any story.
on September 17, 2016
I started this series with a $1.99 offer of the first book and got hooked. Dr. SIRI and his cadre are fun people in a dismal landscape. I'm learning a little history from a Southeast Asian viewpoint along the way as these stories take place after the Americans leave Vietnam. Terrific series!
on February 14, 2014
Interesting search for a lost MIA American which turns into quite an adventure for Dr. Siri and company. The infamous and charming Madam Bpoo is turned loose once again, an interesting psychic transvestite and again some good history of Laos, Thailand and Vietnam and the SE Asia scene. Oh, throw in an amazing treasure that comes about as a result of the ravages of the Vietnam War! Worth reading.
on August 25, 2016
A refreshing , witty take from a European about his adopted country Laos. Didn't know much about Laos before this series but it is a fascinating country with a fascinating history.
on February 8, 2013
Somehow this one was more gruesome than the others I've read (not many because they're still unavailable for Kindle readers like myself) but that didn't stop me reading half the night (when I shouldn't have!) as Siri is always so marvelously disrespectful of authority and has such a good time with his friends - I laughed out loud on several occasions and I don't do that very often. Highly recommended.
on September 11, 2013
When ever I buy one of the Dr Siri books I think I will savour it.....instead I find I can't put it down and its finished all too soon. The humour, the twists all set against the background of the fledgling PDRL and the gentle mockery of its Communist Party Officials are so amusing I can only recommend this as much as the others in the series.