Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 91-100 of 277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 359 reviews
on October 8, 2016
Sure, I can tell Mr. Blackmon is biased in writing this book, and yes, I see several errors. But the reason I give this book 5 stars nonetheless is that it is NOT a "school book" (although it may be assigned as reading in class, it is not - nor does it claim to be - an actual school book by definition). The reason I give this book 5 stars is because it answers a question I have asked for decades: how is it we abolished slavery, but black people still didn't rise up and rebel sooner? Now I get it.

I will warn anyone before reading it that it gets a little longwinded at times because there are so many anecdotal stories in here, but I found even them to often be of interest in understanding our history better. And throughout, I recognized that people then are very little different from people today. We may recognize injustice, but that doesn't mean we have the energy or desire to go enforce it - other than...maybe...vote in elections. Unless we ourselves are directly affected; then we can suddenly find a soap box to climb up on.
on March 30, 2009
When I met recently with a community group helping low-income people with defense of criminal charges, I was struck by the similarity between what criminal defendants today face with the "slavery by another name" described in this book. The author describes how from 1863 to 1945 African Americans in the South were re-enslaved by collusion between local courts (justices of the peace), law enforcement, and business. The local sheriff would snare young African American males, and they'd face trumped up criminal charges with their "fines" being paid by local businessmen who were permitted virtually to re-enslave the men who were supposedly working off their fines. Today, those who have funds and are on probation pay off their fines, so their probation can end. But those who lack funds, a high proportion of whom are minority men, cannot pay off their fines and therefore face lengthened probation. While on probation, if they make a slip, unlike those who paid off the fines, they may find themselves consigned to privately run jails/prisons. The book discussed how convicts in the post Civil War period found themselves contracted out as workers. The parallels between that and present private prisons contracting out the labor of prisoners is undeniable.
on May 15, 2015
This is certainly a 'must read' for those interested in learning about the treatment meted out to the African-American communities after the abolition of slavery.
on June 25, 2014
I enjoyed selecting this product. It served my purpose and my immediate needs, it was informative and a perfect gift (to myself or others.).
on August 9, 2015
This book took me on an unexpected journey that changed my life.I still dream about the things written in this book.It is a must read.
on July 19, 2008
Several weeks ago, I listened as Douglas A. Blackmon spoke in an interview on Bill Moyer's Journal (PBS). I sat there in disbelief as he spoke about the research he had done to produce this incredible book: Slavery by Another Name. I say incredible because I have just finished reading a work that has certainly impacted my thinking. Although I live in the South now (if Miami Beach is really the South), I was born in the North and taught high school English there. So my knowledge (well, lack thereof) of slavery is sketchy at best. What bothers me, after having read this work with its depth of research and fine writing, is simply this: why have we allowed ourselves to be so ill-informed about the sins of our fathers? Unfortunately we are still a racist nation. Just look at what the racists are doing to vilify Barack Obama! Thank you, Mr. Blackmon. You have made a very valuable contribution to American history. To bad so few will have given themselves an opportunity to read this book.
on January 24, 2014
At times, the author's style of writing is difficult to follow. If not for that I would give it "five stars"

But what is important are the revelations regarding the convict peonage system so rampant in the South from the Emancipation Proclamation, ending slavery until the beginning of World War II.

What is most horrifying is that the white population directly benefitting from this "free" labor had no incentive to preserve their economic investment as before, during slavery. During the peonage system, the cost of acquiring convicts was minimal. The system, with the collusion, of local law enforcement and judges was self perpetuating.

A highly recommended reading, if a person can ignore the writing style
on August 16, 2015
Excellent book on the history of slavery from post emancipation up until the civil rights movement. Definitely worth a read.
on December 8, 2016
Enlightening!!!
on July 3, 2013
Slavery by Another Name is a brutally explicit historical examination of note that uncovers the convict leasing system of African American re-enslavement in the post-Reconstruction South. With it we see the continuation of slavery on a level not generally revealed to students of American History as part of the general course materials of Southern History. Douglas Blackmon has dug deep within the county records of the South to cite chapter and verse of the deeply disturbing picture of the counties in the Birmingham area of Alabama and how the coal mines and the iron and steel mills were developed with convict labor brutally supplied and maintained by white Alabamians.He also examines the use of convict leasing in Georgia. Blackmon's extensive use of primary source materials provides the needed proof that negates Southern white declarations that their African American citizens were well treated and had nothing to complain about.

Blackmon's description of convict leasing delineates its ties to the establishment of the steel industry in Birmingham and Shelby County and to the New South city of Atlanta. Additionally he documents the building of South's economic empires and their divorcing of themselves from the brutal re-enslavement they used to profit from forced labor up to World War Two when African Americans became more important to the good name of the United States in its fight to overcome Germany's National Socialist Regime and its destruction of European Jewry.

Blackmon's study provides the bridge over the post-Civil War era, Reconstruction, the Jim Crow era, lynchings, racist actions by the Ku Klux Klan, and race riots in Tulsa, Texas, the Black Belt South, and the North as well up to the modern Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. In this we find a partial explanation why the modern movement did not effectively find its strength to fight for freedom and justice until the 1950's and 1960's.