Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Slavery By Another Name
Format: DVD|Change

on February 14, 2012
I watched this movie on last night on PBS. It opened my eyes to things I knew nothing about! As a child of the 50's I heard on and off about things that happened during this time in American history. As I watched this movie it brought tears to my eyes to see how one human being could treat another human being and not think nothing of it.

My grandparents were sharecroppers in the south and had to sneak their 5 daughters to the North one by one as young teenage girls because 2 of their sons were lynched at a young age.

I never knew that it was against the law to leave your farm as a sharecropper you would be hunted down, brought back or killed.

I thank God that my grandfather and grandmother did not have their lives taken away from them because they both made it to the North, but their lives where never the same.

This is apart of history that everyone one in this nation should know about.
319 helpful votes
320 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on October 4, 2017
Absolutely excellent!! This tells the post-reconstruction experience of slaves in a stunningly vivid way, with many personal accounts. It made me understand so much better the current distrust of the judicial system in light of the way it was used to re-enslave so many, in such despicable conditions. I originally saw the show on PBS, and ordered it so I could show it to friends; they were as stunned as I was, and I ended up buying a few more copies so they could have their own to share with their families. It does have some pretty graphic material, so it's probably not appropriate for younger viewers -- definitely not kids, middle schoolers might be OK, depending on their level of maturity. But I wish it's something all high schoolers would see as part of their history classes; it's not something most people are familiar with, and that's a shame.
on November 19, 2012
One of the least covered subjects in American history--which is, how did Black Americans become such a huge part of the "criminal class." It not only was very well researched, the production values are excellent--meaning that the average 14 year old would be captivated right from the opening scene. It seamlessly draws a connection from yesteryear to now and leaves plenty of room for an interesting class discussion.
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 10, 2017
Great movie. I marvel how Christians who are supposed to love your neighbor
could treat Negroes so poorly and savagely. May God have mercy on your soul.
This prayer goes for those who believe in abortion, homosexual marriage and
think that it is okay to discriminate in any way.
How sad.
God bless you all.
Jim.
on December 18, 2015
Gut-wrenching to watch, mainly because it rang so true. I can only hope that my relatives from Georgia before and after the War between the States were among the people who never owned or dealt with slaves, any of the indentured servants or the renting out of African-American prisoners. I'm pretty sure that the Veals in my direct line were not involved, but even having said that, my genealogy research has found dozens of African-Americans in U.S. Census records who bear my surname. In Alabama, this year (2015), I intentionally visited a black woman in Alabama with whom I share the exact same surname, Veal. We talked for about 2 hours or more on her front porch. She told me that she'd never met a white person with the surname Veal. I told her that likewise I'd never met an African-American with the surname Veal, though I did know that there were probably hundreds in census records in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and probably many other states. While trying to find this woman (who was about my age) I went to several homes in that area of Alabama, where I'd learned that other black Veal families had lived at one time or another. I found no other Veals in that area, but everyone I talked to was extremely friendly and as helpful as they could. In most cases, they invited me in there homes and we talked for an hour or more.
on October 14, 2015
I highly recommend this to other teachers and professor and students that can handle the truth! And we thought American Slavery was bad. This is the way the government kept slaves after Emancipation through the prison slave system. If you tried to escape you got shot with no repercussion because you were just an escaped prisoner. These Black men were traded out to other prisons to work in coal mines worse than any white coal miners. They were imprisoned for standing outside called "vagrancy laws" and put to work in labor camps called prisons. Many were just dumped into the river if they died or did not comply. I liked the commentary by the historians both Black and white that added insights into the stories and pictures and video. One lady had thought that her wealthy great-grandfather(?) was a "self-made man" she found out where his wealth came from and was visibly shaken by it. It finally talked about how the wealth from this legal slave industry poured in and that was my main interest, see how whites created capital for generations to come without paying the Black man or his family anything. These types of prisons were not really shut down until the 1960's. Now there is still an overabundance of Black men in the Prison Industrial Complex not different than what they had back then. More humanitarian groups are out protesting the unequal distribution of the law against men of color for similar offenses as white men. The prisons are privatized and are paid based upon the volume of prisoners in the prison. It is a cycle with the same type of prisoner - Black males.
on November 11, 2013
The DVD has shown me and some of my friends the cruelty that African Americans have had to face living in The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. What a joke, where's the Free and Brave in what has taken place in this American History? This is not in the History Books. Shame on you America and to say you didn't know anything about it that's even more shameful.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on December 6, 2013
Many people think that after the Civil War, Blacks received all of their legal rights and they were enforced. This could not be further from the truth. After Reconstruction, Blacks legal rights were rolled back as close to slavery as possible. In fact, one could argue that conditions were better under slavery in some cases because of individual worth to their owners. This film reveals the real story that most Americans are totally unaware of; it helps explain the racial relations and tension that we deal with in America today.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on April 3, 2012
i order this because of the reviews. i didnt know this awful thing exist in our history...wow my heart ache and bleed from my ancestors....iam so lost for words and yet i should not be shock, because alot of our histories are untold...its great that finally its being taught to me and others behind me....what a sad but but incrediable history.....thank you amazon
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 14, 2017
great knowledge a must for everyone to understand the plight of our for fathers and why we are here now