Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > World Painted Blood forum

Slayer's Last Album?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2009 5:44:20 PM PDT
There's been talk of Slayer possibly hanging it up soon in the near future. These aren't rumors, as members of the band have stated thoughts in recent intereviews. However they seem undecided among themselves when it would it would all end.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/the_end_of_slayer.html

Then a year later:
http://thequietus.com/articles/00661-slayer-we-could-thrash-out-two-more-albums-if-we-re-fast-enough

What do you think the future of Slayer will be? Will World Painted Blood be their final release, or will they keep going for a while longer?

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 7:01:46 PM PDT
Pvt. Pyle says:
If Kiss has taught us anything in recent years, it's that it doesn't really matter if a band says they're done for good. Still, I feel like there's a chance that this could be it for Slayer. Araya can't yell like he used to and I imagine 25+years of this has taken its toll. Plus their albums, while not quite up to par with their hey day, are still pretty good, maybe they want to do the classy thing and go out on top.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 2:04:36 AM PDT
This will not be the last Slayer release, I can almost bet my life on it (unless somebody in the band dies, of course). Now that they are finally getting their just due (Araya said the reason they toured so much after God Hates Us All is because they were finally getting paid what they felt they were worth for live gigs), I can't imagine them hanging it up just yet. If there still is money to be made, they will keep going a while longer. These guys aren't Judas Priest, they haven't made millions upon millions of dollars. They might be rich compared to me and you but they aren't wealthy like Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc. I expect there to be at least two more releases after this one. And after hearing Psychopathy Red and Hate Worldwide, I hope they don't hang it up soon. Those tracks are killer and totally in the vein of Reign in Blood (although they will never capture that again)....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2009 4:43:43 PM PDT
A-Bomb says:
i've heard someone make a good point and saying they should stop with the studio albums and just tour. I don't know how people would like their last effort Christ Illusion. I try comparing it to their old-school sound which I prefer over the new Slayer. It still seems redundant, frantic, and desperate. I prefer what Megadeth and Testament are doing nowadays. I even like Death Magnetic over Christ Illusion. It's probably because I compare the new Metallica album to their old-school sound with Justice and Black album. I just can't seem to get that same satisfaction with Slayer.

Anyways, I have been hearing this will be their last effort and I sure hope it is. I doubt this album will be any different from Christ Illusion.
If their recent stuff came out in the early 90s, I think it would have been much more appraisal their effort. Now it all doesn't hold up to the intensity of death metal bands.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 8:22:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 27, 2009 5:56:12 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 12:06:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2009 12:08:25 AM PDT
Desperate is a good term for the last few Slayer albums. They are trying to recreate their glory days without seeming to know why or how. They seem to be wanting to copy and outdo death metal. Their contradictory stances against God and proclamations about being atheist are stale and tiresome. It isn't shocking, nor is it interesting.

Everything up to and including Seasons was perfect. DI was slightly less than perfect, and they have plummeted since then. There are a few gems here and there on the newer records, but nothing to write home about. All speed and screaming with no purpose. Where is the melody mixed into the insanity? Where are the interesting lyrics? They are no longer relevant, scary, or interesting. The last excellent slayer show I went to was Clash of the Titans(Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and Alice in Chains opening-talk about a killer show and it was $20!), how long ago was that? I still get get chills thinking of that show, now it is hard to stifle yawns.

It is like they turned into posers, just going through the motions.The review shows that they still are. Too bad they don't have the guts to do something unexpected anymore, like South of Heaven.

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 7:12:06 PM PST
Johnny Ringo says:
I don't know, Moi, God Hates Us All is my favorite overall Slayer album and I'm a longtime fan. I thought Christ Illusion felt like it was rushed to hit the 6/6/06 date, but after one listen, World Painted Blood is awesome (you can preview it here: http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/2) and has some fairly surprising turns on it, like Americon and Playing With Dolls. Probably not to every Slayer fan's taste, but you obviously can't please everyone, especially with a career this long.

All I know is that a lot of other bands come and go from my iPod, but I never get tired of Slayer. If they can keep putting out albums as good as God Hates Us All and World Painted Blood, I hope they stay around for a long time to come.

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 12:12:53 AM PST
queen says:
I agree craig!...

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 5:11:43 AM PST
Well, I certainly hope they have a few more records in them... personally, I thought Christ Illusion was one of their finest moments... aggressive and progressive charged with the idea that religions start wars (which seems to be pretty right on). Its been almost 30 years since Reign in Blood and if anyone deserves a right to tweak their sound a bit, it is Slayer. Jihad is one of my faves....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 1:44:37 PM PST
Duke A. Bly says:
I think you mean 20 years reign in blood cam out in 86 its 2009.

Posted on Nov 4, 2009 3:30:55 PM PST
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that they signed a deal for 2 more albums after this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 11:13:58 AM PST
Christ Illusion wasn't released on that date. I believe the single, Cult, was released on that date.

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 6:51:23 AM PST
ME says:
I've heard that "World Painted Blood" is 1 of their final 3 albums. So, they have 2 more, perhaps for their contract.

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 11:49:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 24, 2010 2:50:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 11:37:28 AM PST
R. Bisson says:
Death metal gets so boring though, with the constant screaming and cookie-monster growling, it all starts to sound stupid after awhile! Real heavy metal like Slayer and others who mix up their screams and mix in singing are more interesting to me! Death metal just gets boring (to me anyways)!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  World Painted Blood forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Sep 25, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World Painted Blood
World Painted Blood by Slayer (Audio CD - 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars (182)