Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad STEM Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 735 reviews
on January 5, 2015
We tried this method with my 4.5 month old daughter for 5 nights and 4 days, based on recommendations from friends and her pediatrician. I was really encouraged by the positive tone of the book. I knew it would be tough, but quite frankly it ended up being one of the worst experiences of my entire life. As evidenced by the reviews, this works well for many people, but ultimately it did not for our family. She screamed for 30 min + on nights 1,3, and 5. Nights 2 and 4 she actually went to sleep quite quickly. Was able to settle during the night well every time. About half the naps went really well, the others not so much. I felt like the book didn't really address different types of crying which seemed really important - there's fussing, which I could handle, and then there's screaming her head off and working herself up until she passes out from exhaustion. I'm sure if we had stuck with it, she would have eventually learned to put herself to sleep every time, but I honestly couldn't stomach her screaming like that one more minute. It was torture. I cried as much as she did. I still cry thinking about it, and feel so guilty I didn't just call it quits the first night and go get my baby. I was so determined to follow the book and do what "everyone" says works. Bottom line: there are lots of methods out there, educate yourself, do what you think is best, but don't be afraid to re-evaluate and trust your instincts.
on January 13, 2011
This must have been our 3rd sleep help book that we tried and it really did almost work. My daughter has been non-stop teething since she was 3 months old so never had a chance to learn how to sleep. I had high hopes that this one would help given all the reviews. By the 3rd night she was falling asleep in less than 5 minutes and I only had to check up on her once during the whole night! However, as soon as we started taking her upstairs for her bath time (the beginning of our bedtime routine), she would start bawling and pitching fits. Not the 'I don't want to take a bath' kind of crying but 'please, I'm too scared' kind. She would cry all the way into her bedroom, when we put on her diapers and pjs and continue crying. I've basically conditioned her to hate bedtime and anything associated with it! I took her into my bedroom and she started smiling, put her head down and closed her eyes. Now, we're co-sleeping so she can get over her fear of bedtime. I could see how this could help for other babies but definitely not all. If it doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.
on February 27, 2012
We bought this book, thinking it would give us a good alternative to cry it out or "deal with it". Guess what? The introduction and first chapters sound so promising and wonderful. They talk about how important sleep is to the parents, etc. I was really psyched to get my baby to sleep with their method, that was supposedly not cry it out...well, too bad, I can sum up their sleep advice in one sentence: start a bedtime routine, then put your baby into its crib sleepy but awake (how I HATE that phrase) and then reassure your baby verbally that you love it, yadayada, leave the room. Then you can come back after 5, then 10, then 15 min of crying (yes, your baby will cry, and they admit it. they say it takes about an hour before the baby falls asleep usually). umm, no thanks.
the only book i've read so far that is helpful and doesn't ask you to effectively leave your child alone is Pantley's "no cry sleep solution" book.
The reason I gave it more than one star, was because it is a well written book with a system for those who are willing to let their baby "cry it out", and I feel they hit the right tone of being proactive and trusting your parenting instincts.
My instincts just happen to tell me to soothe my baby by any means necessary when he's upset, and that includes picking him up from his crib and rocking him to sleep.
To each his/her own.
on September 18, 2011
This book advertises "least amount of crying," but in fact it is just a variation of the Ferber "cry it out" method. I was very disappointed. As a mom committed to not letting my child cry herself to sleep, I chose to use the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley instead. It worked like a charm and there were no tears!
on August 20, 2016
Has some good tips but I didn't realize it was a cry it out book, will take bits and pieces from it but will pass on an CIO.
on March 11, 2017
This is basically the Ferber method, but tries to make you feel better about it. It wasn't for me.
on January 19, 2011
I purchased this book hoping to gain some information that would help my twin girls sleep better both during the day, and at night. They were 3 months old when I purchased this book, and I read it cover-to-cover the day it arrived. Unfortunately, that was time wasted as the information in this book is more appropriate for parents with older infants/children. The author included lots of solutions to get a toddler or talking/walking child to sleep, but there was little advice offered for infants. A lot of the information in the book is also just "common sense". I've ready Babywise and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins - and found those books to be far more helpful. Unless your child is older, you will likely not get much out of this book...read something else!
on June 8, 2015
We finished night 2 of the training last night. Between nights 1 and 2, our 5 month old little boy has cried (cumulatively) for over 3 hours alone (with check ins). Honestly, while he did go down to sleep in less than 5 minutes last night, he is still waking up in the middle of the night and crying for long periods of time (45 minutes +) and I am beside myself with anxiety. I deeply regret ever starting this program and now feel like it's too late to back out because then all of the crying will have been for nothing. If you're on the fence, don't do it. The sleep deprivation is easier to take than the deep, deep regret and anxiety over letting your small infant cry alone.
on May 30, 2012
I think that the description of the method laid out in this book is VERY misleading. It is basically the Gerber method. It is not in any way the "least cry" method. Parents are instructed to enter the room only every 5-15 mins, only go half way into the room and stay for less than 30 seconds. It is not that much differnt from the other cry-it-out methods. I'm don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with these strategies if its best for your family. However, they should more straightforward about what is offered in the book. A truely more gentle approach that does involve some tears but no separation anxiety is The Sleep Lady Shuffle. Followed this approach and my 10 month old was putting herself to sleep and sleeping 11 hours through the night in less than a week when previously she was up 6-7 times a night, sometimes for an hour at a time.
on September 19, 2013
We were so happy to "have a plan" for our 8 month old son. The first few days of weaning were so easy I couldn't believe it! Then, the night came where there was no more nursing, and things got ugly. It's basically a nicer version of cry it out. Our son went on for 2 hrs! We did the "check-ins" at the timed intervals but it just didn't work. Before you think we're horrible, he wasn't crying straight for 2 hours, but it was a two hour stretch of time that was not worth it.

There are good suggestions in the book, so it's not all bad. I just wouldn't buy it thinking it's "the solution!" I have friends that have sleep trained in a few nights and others that took time like ours. I think it's all on the child being an individual and having their own time frame for being ready.