Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sling Media Slinglink Turbo W1 Ethernet Over Power Adapter
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 26, 2011
I purchased this for the pc in a room that I didn't want to run an ethernet cable to and the pc was an older pc for my kids so it didn't have a USB 2.0 port to work with a wireless device. This adapter works great and is truly plug and play. I already had one to connect my 2 DishNetwork DVR receivers to, so I knew it would be pretty good. Keep in mind that if you are new to using HomeLink devices you will need to purchase at least 2 initially, one for your device and one to connect to your router, unless you have DishNetwork receivers which have the capability built into the receiver and all you will need is one to connect to your router.
77 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2011
After so many problems with the wireless router provided by my ISP, I was considering wiring my house with a CAT5e network. I woke up one morning and saw the SlingLink box DISH Network had installed to allow my set top boxes to communicate with my router blinking away. It dawned on me that using a few more of these things I should be able to do the same for all of the computers in my house.

So I purchased one to test my theory and it worked like a charm. I decided to purchase two more, including one for my Roku set top box. No more dropped signals, no more slowness, and no crawling around in the attic to wire the whole house. The wiring is already done! The SlingLink boxes use your home's electrical wiring to communicate with each other.

You'll need at least two SlingLink boxes, one for the router and one for each computer or other device you want to connect to the internet (recent DISH customers probably already have one on the router since their set top boxes have SlingLink built in).

Plug one directly into the wall (DO NOT plug it into a surge protector, it won't work) and run the included network cable to your router. Plug another one in and run the network cable to your computer or other device's network adapter. Your router treats anything on SlingLink as if it were plugged directly into it. Nothing else to set up. It's easy, fast and works great!
on September 6, 2012
Summary - These Plug-and-Surf devices work well at high data rates. You need two to start, but can add on more devices individually.

Background - I have a 4200 Square Foot Home. Due to the placement of the cable modem and VOIP connection, the wireless router is in the basement. This was causing speed issues, especially with Over the Top Video Services such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. on the second floor.

Application - I had heard about this product, but like many others was not sure. When Woot! offered a deal on a SlingBox (Sling Media Slingbox SOLO (SB260-100)) and two Slinglinks (Slinglink Turbo 1PORT Enet Connection Bridge (SL 150-100)) for $99, I thought that it was worth the cost to try since I wanted a SlingBox for my daughter at College. Since I had multiple items in my media cabinet I wanted to support (SlingBox, Apple TV (Apple TV MD199LL/A [NEWEST VERSION]), Sony BluRay) and these devices only have ONE Ethernet jack, I was cautious because I wanted to make sure these devices would support a Ethernet Switch. I will skip the drama, and tell you that they do, turning a single data port into 4 or 7 (depending on the switch you purchase). TRENDnet 5-Port GREENnet Switch (5 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX RJ-45 Ports) TE100-S50g (Black Metal)

Installation - I installed one of these in the basement near the router and the other in the Master Bedroom Sitting area. One was installed into a wall outlet directly, the other on a un-switched extension cord. NOTE - These can not be plugged into a surge suppressor, GFI, or power strip per the manufacturer's instructions. They are very clear about this, so when I read reviews complaining that you could not do this, I was a bit surprised that people complained that it did not work. This placed both devices at the far ends of a large house, so I knew this would be a good test of the capabilities. I had also read that other people had experienced issues with devices like this not being on the same circuit in the past. Both of these devices were not only on different circuits, but on different breaker panels. This is a newer home, so the quality of the wiring was good (Romex 3/12 and 3/14). I connected the unit in the bedroom to a five port switch, wired up the devices, and started streaming. IT WAS EASIER THAN ANY WIRELESS SET-UP I have ever done!

Results - I ran the SlingBox, the Apple TV (Netflix Movie), and the BluRay (Amazon Prime) simultaneously each streaming HD to my LG Flat Panel and my iPAD using Sling Player (which you have to pay extra for, but that is a pricing issue I have with the SlingBox, not this product). The Slingbox was slinging back the DirecTV HD broadcast. The iPad was connected to a wireless repeater in the master bedroom via N. All of the pictures were PERFECT and the iPad Sling content was the highest quality I had ever received. Later, I tried it on the road from a hotel room. Again, great results on the SlingBox.

Expansion - Since the first purchase, I added one of these devices to the media cabinet in the Great Room. Again to a switch to support multiple devices. Again, same high quality results and easy set-up. These are Plug-and-Surf. Ultimately you are sharing a 85MB/sec feed, so each device reduces that bandwidth, but since most home internet connections are at 10 MBS down and 4 MBS up (Mine is 40 Down and 10 Up), you can have around eight of these on your network before you have divided out all of the bandwidth. Even then, no device uses anywhere close to the maximum on a regular basis.

New uses - To expand my Wifi Network, I have purchased a fourth unit. I plan on setting up an upstairs WiFi Router (with DHCP disabled) to expand my wireless network. Obviously, I am very pleased with the results. I will follow up on this newer application I am trying.

Recommendation - Not only would I buy this product again, but continue to buy this product to expand/simplify my home network (4 and counting). I would recommend this to a friend.
on September 14, 2010
I have had my home network on Slinglinks for a couple of years. Slingbox, Slingcatcher on my bedroom TV (don't have to pay the satellite company extra), wired internet in the garage where the wireless won't reach, as well as TV on an old laptop from the Slingbox, all very easy to set up. Sling makes stuff that just works, always easy to set up, and you don't have to be an IT geek to do it. I purchased this new Slinglink because I dropped one on a hard floor from about 4 feet while re-arranging some TV/DVD equipment, and it wouldn't work afterward. Yes, I tried smacking it again - no dice. But it was a good thing, because the new Slinglink Turbo is faster, and this was the connection to my Slingbox - eliminated the occasional stutter I had seen on my Slingcatcher-linked TV.

If you are interested in powerline networking in your home, go with Sling equipment.
55 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2012
I will wait 30 days and revisit this review, but, so far, this thing is God's gift to home networking. I have a a Linksys powerline adapter "base station" and I use that to send signal upstairs to a wifi hotspot. That was around $80, so I was skeptical that this SlingLink would work with it as another drop for the Wii. I thought it might be too good to be true.

Not only does it work, but it was absolutely, positively plug-n-play. It took longer to open the box than it did to install the thing.

How often is home networking anything other than torture? How many nice people in Bangalore have I met in the course of "installing" routers, repeaters, etc.?

I am a happy camper. Thanks SlingPeople!
on October 29, 2012
I bought 3 of these, one for a wireless router, another for a Dish VIP722 receiver (allows me to connect the Dish VIP without exposing it directly to non-surge-suppressed power), and another for a laptop. Wouldn't work at first, until I found a suggestion that it might not work if you have a 6-to-1 adapter at your wall outlet. I had a 3-to-1 adapter at the router, and a 3-to-1 adapter at both the laptop and at the Dish VIP722. Once those were removed they finally worked. Too bad they didn't add 1 more line about this issue to the instructions, right after that direction NOT to connect it to a typical surge suppressor. Would have saved me 20 minutes of searching on the internet troubleshooting. The SlingLink Turbo W1s are on 3 different electric circuit breakers, but connections seem to work fine.
on November 13, 2010
I have cable and didn't want to run 100ft. Bought and used the slinglink turbo w1 for dishnetwork hidepth receiver through my electricity and it works! Just plug it into an outlet near your link and plug it in.
on June 24, 2013
This product is needed if you plan on connecting your SlingBox in a room that does not have an Ethernet port. The product works well and I can now use my slingbox which is connected in a room with no Ethernet port and hence enjoy the awesome invention.
on February 14, 2016
The four units I have perfectly deliver internet access to my bedroom, my son's bedroom, my living room and the den from the centrally located main unit, which is attached to the modem. I have secured wifi routers off of each of these to which I connect by ethernet cable to my non-mobile devices like AppleTV, DirecTV box, Roku and the like directly. My son only uses his video game unit attached to his Slinglink unit.
on January 3, 2012
SlingLink Turbo is a handy piece of tech that makes internet connectivity cleaner in the house. Basically this is one version of powerline adapters. You get either one or two of these devices depending on the brand. One device connects to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. As the device shows, it plugs directly into the wall (it is important that you do not use a power strip with this). The unit then uses the electrical system in the house to convey the information from the cable modem to some other device in the house like a DVR. If the DVR is plugged directly into the wall, you should basically have a wireless connection!
If you get a second unit you connect it with an ethernet cable to the DVR and plug it into a nearby wall socket as well. Again you are now connected to the cable modem by using the electrical wiring in the house. Since it's using the electrical system you should have a more steady and stronger signal than a simple wireless signal which can sometimes be weakened when passing through walls etc.