Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Slipstream, Bonnie Raitt
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 24, 2012
I have followed Bonnie Raitt's life, music, potential, descent, resurrection, highs and lows for over thirty years. I've seen her live three times--the first before she stopped drinking, the second shortly after she entered her recovery and the third time several years later when she was solid and more comfortable in her own skin and craft then I'd ever seen her...I've loved everything she's released or performed, whether she was strong or struggling, whether it was her best or not. Fast forward to the Nick of Time years and I celebrated that she'd finally found personal happiness. Now, we have Slipstream, her first studio venture since 2005. In the ensuing years since the 1990s she's lost her parents, her brother and that marriage that looked so promising. The result is a Bonnie that I hardly recognized at first...spare, understated, humbled by loss...melted down to her most honest survival essence. Slipstream is, in short, the best body of work she has ever released. Gone is the belting voice of the bruised but defiant survivor. Gone (or understated) is her brilliant slide guitar work which has always been her trademark. Fabulous, but not necessarily beautiful. Slipstream is simply....beautiful. It is the music of a woman who has lost everything dear to her, who has had to live through many of life's tragedies and who brought what she still found precious about life into her music to share with/warn/reassure the rest of us. Run, don't walk....if it's on sale, full price, whatever....just get the damn thing.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Bonnie Raitt's new CD pops & sparkles with a string of tasty tracks. The CD starts with an electrified new Randall Bramblett song "I Used to Rule the World." The second track is Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line" with Luis Conte on percussion and Ricky Fataar on drums creating a bubbling bounce over which Bonnie's great guitar and her aching vocals throb, "'Cause you believed in me through my darkest night, put somethin' inside of me, You brought me into the light." Loudon Wainwright III & Joe Henry's "You Can't Fail Me Now" is a slow smoking blues, "I bit off more than I can chew; It's something that I tend to do when fewer words are what we need and how." "Down to You" rocks the house with a great shuffle, "Step out on the track in the pouring rain and when you get run over, well, you blame the train." Currently #1 in my personal top ten rotation, "Take My Love With You" smolders with a sexy seductive beat & an upbeat lyric, "I'll be your talisman; I'll be your lucky charm; Put it in your pocket; Put it in your heart." It's SO good I can't stop listening! "Not Cause I Wanted To" is a tear-in-your-beer weeper for every blue heart in the local universe. "Split Decision" is another stunning rocker with smashing electric lead guitar and Ricky Fataar's drums unleashed. "Slipstream" is so strong it will undoubtedly be on many "best of's" lists for 2012! Enjoy!
on January 27, 2013
Hmmm, thought I was already asked to rate this... but no matter, we're into a new year and, looking back, I'm rating it in the top two or three albums of 2012. But, that's just my rating based on her great voice and guitar on some decent tunes. Nothing surprising there - she's been an outstanding blues favorite of mine for as long as I can remember.

I don't care for a lot of the top songs and albums that are published say, inside back cover of Rolling Stone, and don't expect to see Bonnie Raitt in the list very often, if at all. But, for whatever reason, I've been asked to rate this purchase. So, I rate it as very good. If you're into blues, you certainly know that Bonnie Raitt is an outstanding performer and Slipstream is a decent album.

Fortunately, it's easy to listen to track samples before buying an album. Or, buying favorite mp3s for those who prefer that approach. If you are into Bonnie Raitt, blues or just plain good music, there's no need to care how I rate the album. Listen to the samples and make your own call. Just don't miss out.
on May 13, 2012
I have been a Bonnie Raitt fan for longer that I want to say. Fell in love with her music in the early 1970's. She is one of the best blues guitarists in the music business. She played with wonderful old bluesmen when she was young and learned so much from them. Mississippi Fred McDowell was one of these seminal musicians. He was one of the best slide guitarists around. She did many concerts with him. So she learned slide guitar from one of the masters.
The singing and style of Sippie Wallace was also a major influence. Her 2009 tour with Taj Mahal was heavenly.
Her extraordinary love of good songs and her ability to present them in a unique style continues on this album. The choice of songs is great and the presentation fantastic. I bought three, one for my brother, my sister and for myself. We all love Bonnie and hope she keeps on rocking for a long time. Hope we do too!
on May 12, 2012
I've been cutting down on buying CDs and vinyl lately (even ones from my very fave artists), but I'm sure glad I decided to stick with Bonnie for 'Slipstream'! I believe this may be her best album since 'Nick of Time'...or even since BEFORE that one. I've been a Raitt fan since the start and have had the pleasure of seeing her "live" on many occasions, both before and after her well-deserved Grammy wins and the recognition that followed (finally!!!!!). Although her studio albums have been great at times, I never felt that they adequately showed off her real talents as a singer/slide guitarist. 'Slipstream' is the exception. This one seems designed to put her playing and singing right up front where it belongs without allowing any of us to ignore her tight, excellent band and guest artists (the brilliant Bill Frisell, to name just one). The material (one song co-written by Bonnie Bramlett, partly why I bought this CD!) is all very good to excellent (with one exception for me..."Marriage Made in Hollywood" is only so-so), a rarity in these days of single MP3 downloads. The entire album has a "live" feel to it that was just made for Bonnie's type of music --- blues, soul and rock 'n' roll. I certainly wouldn't categorize Bonnie Raitt as a "pop" artist as Amazon has done, but some of her past studio albums can be misleading. If you like Bonnie's studio stuff but are up for some excellent, loud and rockin' blues to accompany her beautiful ballads, go see her in person. Or get a taste of what she's really about with this new studio album, produced by Bonnie and by the great Joe Henry. It's such a pleasure to hear Bonnie's intimate vocals and immaculate, bluesy guitar playing, sometimes trading off with a band member's guitar licks, on one of her studio albums. Next...I'm hoping for a REALLY GOOD "live" album from the modern day Queen of the Blues: Bonnie Raitt!
on October 13, 2012
Bonnie Raitt is one thing
That is one fine and incredible artist as anyone with any brains knows..
We were lucky God created her for our enjoyment.

This is another incredible CD by her.
One that will be in the records books and our CD racks for many moons .

I am just happy I am on her list for Pre Orders.....so I don't miss any of her new CD's

Not much that's a hell of allot better than putting 5 Raitt CD's in my player ( that's the max that will fit in my player) and just do whatever I am with her in the background and especially the foreground if I can give her my full attention!
on January 9, 2014
It is because Bonnie has paid her dues and can recognize a well written song that this album goes beyond "OK". The songs from Joe Henry and Bob Dylan are done with soul and the best songs on the album. I can't say she has outdone the masters here but kudos for even addressing them. And I feel it is a service to Joe Henry to have showcased his work (and production) right next to Bob Dylan. Joe may one day may commonly be mentioned in the same breath as Bob, should he continue doing as well as he has.
on November 12, 2015
Once again, Bonnie delivers. The only song on this CD that I didn't care for was "Split Decision." To me, it seemed to make light of domestic violence; it talks about Bonnie and her man beating each other up. But the rest of the CD is so excellent that it more than makes up for one clunker.
on September 22, 2013
I've always been a fan since I heard Bonnie on the old Warner Brothers Samplers in the late 60's. (Two vinyl discs for two bucks, all various artists WB wanted to promote.)
Bonnie seemed fresher on this album than some of her other recent ones. She's actually playing here next month and I've got my tickets.
If you haven't liked previous Raitt albums, this one won't appeal to you, but if you like her work, this should be in your catalog.
on April 24, 2017
Great CD. Super fast shipping!