Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon August 17, 2015
Dominique Browning falls into a common trap that befalls middle-aged memoirs by upper class and wealthy people, both men and women. They presume the privileged life they live represents some kind of a norm. Browning, even though she may feel ocassionally lonely, leads an excellent, financially secure life. Because she is more fortunate than the rest of us, and this book would be stronger if she framed her writing in a way that acknowledges that although she's had some ups and downs, she is much better off than the majority of women her age. Also, too much of the book is spent agonizing over an emotionally unavailable married man she foolishly became involved with. Really, what's the use of all that book-reading, piano-playing and nature-watching, if you're attracted to men who are already married? Privilege doesn't always bring wisdom.
on August 10, 2015
Dominique Browning Does It Again

Love this writer for her depth, skills and sensitivity. Always a good read, I am glad Browning is writing now without all the distractions of her former career. For an insightful view of a real life lived by an open and humble woman with enormous talent in these changing times, pick up one of her books and escape your mundane existence. I feel as though her readers become the plants she loves to put into the soil and care for. Nourished by her thoughts and considerations, we bloom and grow via her hands.

We've all loved a person who could not commit and a job that could not last forever but we hoped they would. The answers to what next and how come and lets look at this another way, can all be found in Slow Love. Keep on Writing and Planting Please!
on June 18, 2010
Book Review
Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put On My Pajamas & Found Happiness (Hardcover) by Dominique Browning (2010).

Written well, Browning tells the story of her life after losing her long term job as editor-in-chief of House & Garden. She refers to this time in her life as "Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put On My Pajamas & Found Happiness."

It is a story that all of us can identify with as she verbalizes the pain of letting go; at one point her son tells her "...Put the book down." She replies "That's always been my problem. I just can't close the book no matter how much it makes me cry. I am under a spell, hoping that all will end well, even when it clearly isn't going to" (p. 86). Browning goes through a grief process of saying `goodbyes' letting go of the past, to birth her new life which she does so well-but not without pain and suffering within the much needed container of time. She reminds us that "It's the story-it's being in the story" (p. 86).

It is a `real' story of one's woman journey to herself as she processes her losses and the complications of love and letting go. She learns to identify and let go of old behavioral patterns. She also lets go of things-objects and through this process rebuilds a new life; a new self. There has been a `death' in her life and she is seeking the `resurrection.' She finds it. In her new life she learns to make room for play (fun and pleasure and surprise) and balance (she learned to make time for life and simplified her life). She moved from the space of a `human doing' to a `human being' and learned to feel her way through as work/job (busyness) wasn't there to help her avoid her feelings. In a psychotherapist language it might be stated that she did some co-dependency recovery work -she filled up her `toolbox.'

Creativity surfaced through her cooking, gardening, art, walking, reading, music, poetry and writing. She is doing inner work and although her circumstances might be different financially than other individuals who lose jobs, I think the path to self is for all of us quite universal. It is this theme for me that stands out in this soul-searching story as Browning tells us that "I realize how happy I am, and how lucky. I'm unafraid. I'm taking care of myself" (p. 231).

Slow Love can be a guide for others' whom are making or have had to make life changes. She sums it up best on p.231 quoting Mary Oliver, "You too can be carved anew by the details of your devotions."

Thank you for this book, one which I hope will be a support for many.
on January 8, 2013
To put any bias on the table before starting, I am a Dominique Browning fan and have been for many years. I loyally read her blog, follow her opinion pieces in the New York Times and try to ensure I am across where she is publishing her writings. So you can imagine how I looked forward to reading this book and gaining more than a glimpse into the life of someone I had admired for so long.

....and you would expect I loved this book right? Wrong!

What could have been a beautifully written insight into recreating your life after a major late life disappointment (more along the lines of her Slow Life Blog) was instead a story of self indulgent naval gazing. By the half way stage I had to force myself to finish this in the hopes it would improve (it didn't).

While I understand this is an autobiography I also see this as being quite incongruent with the themes of much of her published writing to date - and many of her current opinions and outlook on life. I simply cannot equate the self possessed woman of today with the writer who obsesses if a still married man loves her, whines about how hard her lot in life is (when she is evidently wealthy and has a number of homes) and becomes obsessed with eating mostly biscuits...

If you love Dominique's current out look on life better not to take the scales from your eyes (I am sorry to this day I did!) - and more to the point if you are a middle aged woman in the midst of a job layoff or personal crisis this is not a book that will give you any insight in how to move on or change your life.

A huge disappointment.
on June 30, 2013
I found myself curious at what would make someone think that their life (I mean an extended look into it) would interest other people, total strangers. I found the book mildly interesting mostly b/c I could relate to some of the things she went through- health crises, unemployment, having to move out of my home- things that happened to me when my life de-railed a few years ago. Reading her story made me realize that people sometimes just want to be heard and want to be and be made to feel interesting as well as important. It's a little bit histrionic to publish and capitalize on your life and trials but then again, I guess everyone else is doing it. Maybe she is onto something here...
on June 13, 2010
Slow Love is an honest and insightful look at what Dominique Browning's life was like after losing her job as editor of House & Garden magazine. The writing is beautiful and soothing. Even as Dominique writes about the challenges of life after a busy career comes to an abrupt hault, the prose is so beautiful, it is a soothing, relaxing read. She is open and honest about the lessons in life that she has learned and gives some sound reminders on how to take each day as it comes, live in the moment and enjoy the beauty of life.
on August 28, 2013
Dominique Browning, who I admire, always writes an interesting book, wherever she is in her life at that time. I loved her comments and stories when she was the Editor for House and Garden Magazine and was very disappointed when the magazine folded. I have read all of the books that she has written about the passages in her life and have never been disappointed. The books sit in my bookcase as a reminder that we all have issues in our lives to deal with. Would highly recommend her books to anyone dealing with life's ups and downs!
on October 17, 2013
Is this my long lost twin sister? I can SO relate to Dominique Browning through all her stories. Great book and I hope she will continue to write more about her life and doings.
on August 2, 2013
really a good book that a lot of people can relate to, in the same situation. think she was really blessed in her doctor, who did literally save her life. she is a talented writer and wish she would write more.
on March 13, 2016
So many years ago I awaited the arrival of House and Garden to read the monthly trials, tribulations, frustrations and jubilation of Dominique Browning. Her extra sensory style of writing feels like a letter from an old friend. Slow Love was a great gift sweetly savored.