Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 179 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 367 reviews
on April 27, 2016
There are some books that make you rethink things in a massive way. This one is one of them. The book opened my mind to the boundaries between faith, religion, and the religious. It shaped my understanding in this matter in a way that still holds today, nearly 20 years after I first picked it up. Heck, I even referenced it during my university studies, much to the awe and surprise of the lecturer who heard it (He never expected this sort of thinking from an undergrad).
But even if you don't need to have someone shatter your world, even if this stuff is clear to you, this is still a ridiculously funny, heartfelt, and interesting book to read. It will take you on a journey across desserts and seas along with a boy and a turtle and a whole lot of characters, from crypto-atheists to waterlogged philosophers to people up poles and steam powered turtles.
It's a Discworld novel, and a wonder.
Just pick it up and you'll see what I mean.
on March 31, 2016
I have read several of Terry Pratchett's books, which isn't many considering exactly how many he has. His wit makes me laugh out loud. He's not necessarily for the average reader. Sometimes a joke will take an entire paragraph or longer to unfold. He's very subtle. so you have to be able to pick up that. If you can, though, he's extremely funny. This is my favorite book of his that I've read. If you are the religious sort, you probably shouldn't read his stuff, as he can be somewhat offensive in that arena. Realistically, though, he's just challenging people to think about their religion instead of blind acceptance. So, if this sounds interesting to you, I would definitely suggest that you read this or any other Discworld novel. There are tons of characters and they aren't written in a strict order, so you can pretty much pick up any available one and read it without fear of having missed something.
on December 23, 2016
Wanna read a brilliant,funny story about "Religion" vs "Faith"? This is the book for you. Terry Pracchett's "Small Gods" skewers organized religion with a Discworld Tale about Brutha, the last True Believer in the Great God Om who, due to lack of faith, has been reduced to the form of a small tortoise. Om needs Brutha's help and the sincere, loyal initiate will gladly help his deity and maybe teach HIM a lesson in humanity.
on August 27, 2014
This was my first Terry Pratchett book, and I found it intriguing and would recommend it. It doesn't fit neatly into a category, bearing plenty of humor, fantasy, and social commentary along with religion, theology, and philosophy - as a minister, the latter was of great interest. The characters were interesting, from the innocent, challenged young novice to the darkly sinister Deacon to the curious little god and its frustrations. In winding through his story, Pratchett brings the reader on a journey into areas of great contradictions, revealing them in different places and making connections that are worthy but not obvious.

The book got me asking many questions in contexts that I had not truly considered before. It was not predictable and the reader was invariably wondering where we might be headed, how and why.

Pratchett's style at times seems unnecessarily flippant at first encounter, but it becomes more familiar and less disconcerting as you stay with the story. Other reviewers familiar with the series picked up nuances that a newbie like me would not. Perhaps that explains some of the unexplained, assumptions, and seemingly random items that would pop up and seem more distracting than helpful.

I'll probably re-read this, and may sample more of Pratchett's writing. There are questions that got produced that I want to go back and look over further. Try "Small Gods." It has a lot to offer.
on September 16, 2016
Terry Pratchett's writing is a wonderful balance to the seriousness, and sometimes dryness, of those books we read for our improvement. I often read one alternately with a history, scientific, or even serious novel. They are all well written, funny, often critical, extremely original stories with a message worth thinking over.
"Small Gods" pokes fun at religion, philosophy, government, and as always human nature. The plot is complex for Pratchett, but woven expertly. As always there rarely is a page where you don't slap your forehead and laugh-or groan. That is why I love Terry Pratchett and am grateful he was such a prolific writer.
on September 14, 2015
What do gods need to be gods?

Donald Freund wrote "To be God, God needs Man, as Man needs God to be Man." Heresy? Maybe.

Belief. As long as one person believes, a God lives. Needless to say, the Disc is littered with dead gods. Thousands upon thousands. Who once ruled all they could see. And now, most of whom are lost voices in a desert.

Or a tortoise named Om.

This is the story of Om, his believer and how one believer arguing and wrestling with his God can change the world.

I'd had several friends tell me that Small Gods was among their favorites in the Discworld series.

The were sandbagging. Small Gods is the most profoundly moving novel I've read years. I cried no less than three times at the breath-taking humongousness of the ideas in this book.
on March 17, 2016
A Religion that is full of priests, clerics, and clergy. Holy books, holy orders, and righteous commandments to lead a nation. Strong armies, devout citizenry, and devious inquisitors to "Guide" the faithful. However the only true believer of the God is a young neophyte, what are the God and follower to do?

This is Terry Pratchett at his finest. A satire that both makes you laugh and think. A look at what religion has been, it's faults, it's failures, and its evolution. All told with Pratchett's eye for righteous indignation and unflinching compassion.

This book addresses religion, have faith that it is worth your time.
on April 13, 2014
The first book by Pratchett that I read was Guards Guards which I wasn't terribly impressed with, although it was entertaining enough or me to see it through to the end. Subsequently I picked up Small Gods. There is quite a difference between the two. While Guards was kind of cute, albeit simplistic, Small Gods is a unique novel unto itself. Interesting imagery, an interesting premise, and some memorable characters. Really it's not possible to compare this book with any other that I've read, because its style and content is so unique. It's definitely brilliant in its own narrow sort of way. Just as it's hard to compare to other books, it can't be easily classified as fantasy, sci fi or something else. I would say it's a philosophical kind of novel and it should please readers of literature as much as sci fi.
on August 27, 2015
This is my first "Discworld" novel and I wasn't sure what to expect. The writing is very clever and I appreciate the dry humor of the author, densely applied throughout the narrative. As this author recently passed, I was curious to sample his work after reading so much praise of it. Though only my second favorite genre (fantasy more than Sci Fi), and set in an unfamiliar world, I find it engaging and easy to read. It's actually rather short, but I read it a little at a time as a bedtime story for myself, and am looking forward to sampling other of Terry Pratchett's work. He seems to have been prolific, so I will take my time and hope the satiric tone, if repeated in his other work, doesn't grow tiresome.
on September 7, 2015
Terry.Pratchett becomes a turtle, becomes an eagle, becomes a "true man of mo rank" (in Brutha), becomes a Grand Inquisitor (in the Grand Exquisitor), an arheist, an agnostic philosopher, a "natural philosopher, a miltary figure, a dead man, MR DEATH HIMSELF - ie a totally "pan-determined" assumer of multi-viewpoints.... AND he keeps it light!!! Terry Pratchett IS God - while grasping the "chewy caramel center" of the god experience! What's best us this stuff us USEFUL in unravelling all the confusions and problems of the "religion process" -'Yes, MUST read for schools and churches! Thank you, Sir Terry, your help is iir deliverance!