Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 28, 2008
Seth Godin knows how to market through motivation. His books are not deep and dense. They are quick and hyper. "Small Is the New Big" is the epitome of Godin's style. It is a collection of 184 blog posts, e-books, columns, chapters, and articles. From a free blog to a $25.00 book--not bad work if you can get it.

This is not criticism--it's factual praise. Godin understands the new world and its demand for blended information technology--the blog is the column is the chapter is the book . . . And he practices what he preaches.

The book itself, like any collated book, is uneven. The author challenges readers to select any ten "posts" and dares them not to be changed. I suppose the simple statistical possibilities would suggest that a random sampling would lead to some motivational, challenging, and helpful posts and some less so. That has been my experience.

I will say this, he is always interesting, passionate, self-assured. Of course, many of those late-night infomercials are the same. But in fairness to Godin, his ideas, while not novel, are much more useful than the self-serving infomercials. It's just that they are not as useful and unqiue as they seem to claim to be. After a while the claim to remarkability becomes a constant dripping that causes one to wonder just how remarkable (purple-cow-like) any of it is. In other words, less telling us how remarkable it is and just be remarkable.
on March 12, 2007
I hadn't read Seth's blog, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had reading a business book.

First of all, there are some great ideas in the book. Most have to do with marketing and product development. Even better, however, is that many essays teach you how to think up your own ideas.

Second, Seth is an extremely talented and funny writer. I found myself laughing out loud several times as I was reading. Like all great humor, it was never gratuitous and served to support the point he was making.

Third, the individual essays are short enough so that you can pick it up and start reading without making a huge time commitment. Each essay is self contained, so you can stop just about anywhere without interrupting a long chain of logic. (This is manna to an "agile project manager" like me.)

Finally, I find it truly inspiring. After I read some of it I feel renewed and excited about working.

Don't miss out on this informative, inspiring and entertaining book.
on June 15, 2010
This was my first audiobook ever and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I listened to it during my daily commutes to work and finished it in about two weeks or so. I was a great alternative to the NPR News drone I usually listen to.

As for the content: it's excellent. Inspirational even. Seth Godin is one of those visionary, charismatic types - even if his voice gets a bit whiny and annoying at times. Although I'm not someone who is in the "new media" industry - I still found his points of view the sort that spur people to action no matter what field they are in.

Last note: at $30, get the iTunes/mp3 version and save yourself a few bucks.
on October 2, 2006
From the remarkable book structuring (the "chapters" are organized in alphabetical order) to the intriguingly insightful commentary, Seth Godin has once again created a work of excellence. The book is an easy read, but at the same time leaves the mind reeling with thoughts of "Oh my, I need to fix that, or do that, or change that." I found the chapter on "Clean Fire Trucks" particularly interesting, as I had just 2 months earlier finished an innovation article on "Retiring the Fire Trucks" -- which deals with the same concept of preventing fires and not letting them start in the first place! (As such, you can then have time to clean the fire trucks, or as I put it, to retire them altogether!). His rants are compelling yet at the same time hilarious (hilarious in the sense of all the silly things we do as a people that we really shouldn't be doing). Take for example his rant on "Wrappers" and how the method of packaging both the tangible and intangible create an aura around the product that determines how the product is perceived, received, and applied. One might say, "It's the WRAPPER, stupid."

Once again, Mr. Godin has helped to "validate my existence" (despite my intense self-certainty!) by showing that the crazy, "outside the box" (hey, can we just shred the box, then burn it in effigy of the outdated strategies and the consultants who promote them?), simplifying, forward-looking, remarkable, visionary adventures we can lead our clients and companies on are really worth the effort. In short, less is more, small is big, and remarkable is just that: REMARKABLE.

This book is REMARKABLE. I strongly encourage adding it to your shelf, then spreading the virus of its contents to others.

P.S. The entire ending "Bonus Section" on blogs and other resources is something not to be missed, and single-handedly justifies the purchase.
on April 25, 2007
Small is the New Big looks and feels like Seth Godin's blog - a collection of short and clever insights that will often make you think twice about the status quo. This is not a book you read over the weekend, rather it's a work you have to slowly consume piece by piece, giving yourself enough time to digest each idea. If you're curious, and unsatisfied with sticking with 'safe', this book is for you. If you're still unsure, read Seth Godin's blog, it will give you a taste for the ideas discussed in this book.
on December 8, 2015
I like him but his columns too ofter read like they were composed on airplane. I'll stick with his organized texts.
on July 18, 2007
I heard Seth Godin speak at eBay live - wound up buying this book of his on eBay as soon as I got home. The introduction urges the reader to read the book in spurts, so I've been reading it on my 10 minute subway ride to/from work every day. This book is so good I always have to be careful not to miss my stop.

The pages of Small is the New Big are filled with short blurbs of varying lengths about a whole range of subjects relating to the Internet, marketing, and just plain old human nature. Seth's observations are insightful, unpredictable, and entertaining.

Seth writes about the importance of word of mouth in spreading news about good things - his book is so good I am inclined to recommend it here. Great great book.
on July 4, 2014
Excellent audio book, I listen in traffic and makes the time go by quick. And makes you think and dream and wonder... thanks Seth.
on March 12, 2015
Awesome book
Reach of amazing and inspiring content
Seth is a genius
on November 9, 2006
I've been in marketing for a few years not and somehow had never heard of Seth Godin. I recently heard of him when I was attending a Pragmatic Marketing seminar and have since become a huge fan. Now, I read his blog daily and love this book. I also read his "Purple Cow" book, but I think he hit a homerun with "Small is the New Big."