Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on March 10, 2017
Not exactly what I expected. I'm halfway through and finally getting to small space decorating. There is a lot of talk about assisted living places, and i found that rather depressing. However, author has some good suggestions. I would have liked some pictures as well though.
on November 10, 2012
This book contains a wealth of information on how to make the most of your small space; There are tons of tips on how to clear your clutter and organize your belongings. I only gave it three stars because while I love the book, I think it would have been even better if they'd added pictures to illustrate the authors many ideas.
on January 22, 2014
I almost feel bad giving this book one star because you can sense the pride the author has in her book and her home, but I ordered this book after reading Apartment Therapy's 8 Step Home Cure and I was sorely disappointed. The first night I read it I made it through the first three or four chapters and then had to throw the towel in. I didn't find any helpful information in here aside from the author's opinion on the benefits of living in a small home. Unfortunately the room-by-room suggestions weren't very helpful and while style is subjective, I just didn't see myself using many of the author's suggestions (i.e. hanging a wreath on the front door, using plastic storage boxes all over the place, etc). Wanted to like this book (since I share a 500 sq foot 1 BR condo with my fiance and an 80 lb greyhound) but it didn't happen.
"Small spaces give us the opportunity to live sincerely forcing us to choose which of our possessions make our hearts sing." ~ Kathryn Bechen

Most organizing books are pretty straightforward, however this one has real personality. If you live in a small apartment, a loft, a basement, a condo or an RV this book has lots of good tips that will encourage you to efficiently organize your home so it is beautiful and functional.

Kathryn Bechen's warm writing style makes this book a joy to read. It is especially cozy when reading it on a Kindle. The only thing I'd consider when purchasing this book is whether or not it would be easier to locate the resource sections at the end of each chapter in a Kindle or paperback version. If you are planning a lot of organizing I'd go with the paperback.

Kathryn Bechen has thought about just about everything. This room-by-room guide is highly detailed and very well thought out.

In the present economy with so many people downsizing to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, this book could not have been published at a more appropriate time. This book is good for dreaming and planning. As you read you will imagine all the changes you want to make. Then you will have lots of fun shopping for all the items you need to make your house perfectly liveable.

Some of the ideas I really loved included how to set up a library in a small space. I now have visions of getting a really cozy reading chair even though my bedroom, office and library are all in one room. I know...but that is what happens when you live in a small apartment.

Reading this book will also help motivate you to get rid of things you no longer want or need. I just donated about 40 cookbooks to Goodwill because I really wasn't using them. Who needs so many cookbooks when you can just google recipes?

One of the really helpful ideas in this book was the one about using a special type of paint to make spaces appear larger. I also thought the section on organizing kid's rooms to be excellent. The tips on organizing bathrooms when you have a family were also great.

There were a few things I wouldn't do that were advised in this book. I didn't think the idea of lofting a bed was very safe especially if you have kids who like to climb ladders. Also the author suggests buying a smaller bed if you move to a smaller place. If you are used to a king-size bed this may be a big issue. Do I really want to sleep in a room that can't hold a king-size bed?

Overall I felt like this book covered more ideas than any other organizing book I've read recently. If you are trying to decide between books this has a lot of value.

~The Rebecca Review
on June 1, 2014
If you are looking for the same ideas for individual rooms, if you do not expect pictures, if you want to read things that you could read for free on the web, magazines or know from common sense, if you have never lived where you have had to compartmentalize your belongings, this is your book. I was bored with the repetition of ideas. I was frustrated there wasn't pictures. I didn't learn anything new. I was glad I got the book for free and will be deleting it from my kindle to save space.
on January 21, 2013
I liked the cover photo, and assumed the rest of the book was good. Not. No photos or artwork. Cheap pulpy paper. And while I admit I didn't get very far, the writing and ideas were pretty insipid. The one angle I liked was the need on the part of disenfranchised McMansion dwellers to downsize.
on August 6, 2014
While I am interested in reading about small space organizing, this book is geared more toward people who do not live in small spaces due to budget restrictions. It suggests buying/replacing items and that is just not feasible for us.
on January 12, 2015
I am still reading this book but think I will find it helpful. It's easy to read and has lots of suggestions and examples for living well in small spaces.
on May 11, 2013
This is great if you want to downsize or just simplify your life. It helps you to prioritize things that are important to you. Then gives you great ideas for keeping things looking nice and organized in a small space.
on April 12, 2013
Not enough pictures. It maid the book very boring and not helpful for decorating. I thought the book would have more pictures